Sign in to follow this  

Re: Steve Small and other masters of the .air file

>But then of course, once you have experienced the "free" files from >Steve Small, Ron Freimuth, Rob Young, & a few select others, it's >natural to want the "Payware" aircraft that also have air.files >produced by the same people........... just because you can tell the >improvements!>Kind of a sales approach, twist arm tactic, or whatever! But I like >clarification on your stand & a good feeling about distrubuting >these "free" files once & a while with out hasseling you with E-mail >requests.>L.AdamsonI believe I have all of Steve Small's .air files plus some good ones by others. Like Larry Adamson I've recieved requests for these files. I have never given any of these files to anyone, not because of any legal stuff, but out of respect for the authors. Like Larry, I'd sure like some clarification on this.To e-mail or not to e-mail, your wish is my command.David

bump...I remember someone asking if there was a way to make the Caravan any better ... oh, the pain of withholding!!!Like others, I assume the email exchange of the unaltered .air would therotically be all right; the problem is in anyone using these files for their own aircraft packages, uploading, altering, or exhanging them without the original readme.Still, like others, respect prevents me from playing Santa Claus to those who ask about the Caravan, King Air, Baron...Just a nod or a "rather you didn't" would be great.michael

Guest SoarPics

Hi David,I believe many of us feel just as you do. This is from the readme included in Steve's King Air .air file:Steve remains mute on the subject of the community sharing his once public files since he removed the files from public domain. And what he has asked about taking a principled stand is good enough for me until he says different.Regards, and standing with you

Guest Tim13

Just ask him for it. He has said on this forum (unless I'm remembering incorrectly) that he has sent these files via e-mail often when people have asked him for them. It doesn't hurt to ask.Tim13No, I don't know his e-mail addy. LOL.

Greg,These files were freely downloadable from FSD's site for quite a while, if you read the rest of the "README" then the only request is that they are not uploaded to a server. The "theft and piracy" refered to were (I believe) concerning certain commercial developers ripping of FSD's fine work.I have seen a few threads here discussing this and I am sure that Steve has seen them as well - since he is quite active here, if he had objections to his freeware files being shared then he is more than capable of letting us know (as FSD has recently posted regarding a payware file being e-mailed).Just my 2p worth anyway.....

Boy, would *I* like to get these files -- the Caravan and Baron are planes I like a lot, if only they'd fly better! Am I right in assuming these files will make them better flying, or is the Deb just one of those anomalities?I'd even be glad to pay for them -- I'm not above buying things, as I buy a *lot* of stuff for FS2K. And I wouldn't post them anywhere, respect the copyrights, etc.I guess I'll try and find Steve's email address somethere (maybe on FSD?) and try and weedle them out of him. If anyone believes his silence on this thread (and the respect I'll have for the files themselves) indicates approval and wants to take pity on this old man and email them to me, here's *my* address: mkelley@doit.state.nv.us