Sign in to follow this  

Calling Mike Stone 2

Dear Mike ,I have just downloaded an A320 model vers 2 (the livery was iberia) which I think is a big improvement on the last albeit the liveries of my huge Mike Stone A320`s library will have to be redone but I think it`s worth it.Thank you.My question is the nightlighting, as the model is Gmax is it possible to get a one file fits all a la def 737,777 etc.As I feel the very varied nightlighting repaints are the only thing that let your other wise superb models down IMHO I hope you don`t mind me asking publically and looking forward to the Beech!

Can you say what is wrong with the night lighting on A320 repaints?I always try to make the night lighting individual to the A320 I am painting and the only way other than this is to make a single night file with lighted windows but no logos?Is that what you mean ?Anniette xxxxxxx

Yes, it would appear you have to treat the night file as though it was an FSDS model and not a Gmax ...am I making sense.I may be wrong as I cannot model myself.and Anniette can I have your email address?

You sure can !It is : Anniette_c@hotmail.comWhat would you wish Night textures to be or do :)Anniette xxxxxxxxxx

Basically a `single night file with lighted windows but no logos?` you know one of those _l thingy files.So that those who wish to help with painting especially for ai traffic but are not so familiar with the skills of nightlighting dont` have to bother with the nightlighting.......best of both worlds eh!

There are several different ways to handle night textures in GMAX, and the way I've chosen has one peculiar quirk. I really see it as a bug (gasp!) in FS2002. In its default mode, FS2002 treats the alpha channel on texture files as a transparency level. Setting the "reflective map" option during model export causes it to treat the alpha channel as a reflective layer instead of transparency. Unfortunately, for reasons known only to Microsoft, the alpha channel reverts to transparency on night textures. So night textures have to be made as simple bmp files, without an alpha channel.Why did I choose to do it this way you ask? Partly personal preference, but mostly by popular demand. Textures are a lot less work and easier to implement this way. And, according to a lot of people I hear from, a whole lot easier to repaint. So, for the time being anyway, I don't plan to change anything.Mike Stone Ed, you apparently posted your last message while I was writing this. I will investigate the _L textures (light maps?). I wasn't aware that this allowed night textures to work on all repaints (you learn something new every day).Mike Stone

Yes Yes! like Poskys Gmax 767,the def 737,777 etc...the same night lighting file ( _l) will work on different repaints as long as it is the same model....and ..I`m getting exited now!....IMHO produces more realistic lighting.:-ukliam

Guest eko

I have to agree with this request. I am no expert, but have recently finished a new reflective Iberia livery repaint for Mike's airbus. And it was a b***h to get the night lighting done right, even with the wonderful textures that Miguel Angel Soria was sending my way for the project.The main issue for me, more than anything else, is that on the reflective a320 model version, you can clearly see a difference in lighting between the cowlings, wings, etc. and the fuselage, tail, and fuselage tip.A lightmap that handles these issues and uses the main textures would be fantastic. (I assume that this is what is implied.) No specific night textures needed, the lightmap "lights" the day textures into nightime ones?

Good timing. I'm set to start on the 1900D textures, so I'll give it a shot.That is if you can get Alpha to wait that long :-)Mike Stone