Sign in to follow this  

Established FS2002 install will no longer run reliably

I'd really appreciate any suggestions or help that anyone can give with the following unreliability problems with FS2002. I've just about run out of ideas.They started about 3 weeks ago with occasional system crashes but they have became more & more common until now when all flights end in a crash.As far as I can remember I've made no recent significant changes to either FS or the system that might cause this problem but all I can now think of doing is a complete re-installation of Windows, which I DEFINITELY want to avoid if at all possible.SYMPTOMSAny of the following failure modes can happen, with no discernable pattern, they can occur from a few seconds to an hour into a flight.1. The official failure mode of FS when the offer to send an error report to Microsoft appears, following which, FS will restart in the normal way.2. The screen freezes, if in external view then the aircraft may disappear, but by changing between modes, i.e. Windowed/Full Screen and back, movement, and the aircraft, returns to the screen.3. Crash to BSOD & complete lock-up.4. Crash to BSOD with the following example messages. "An exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C00585E9 in VxD - This was called from 0028:C1B24E37" Pressing goes to another BSOD with the error "0E:0028:C00585E9". again goes to another BSOD with "0E:0177:BFF6C172" again returns to the Desktop.5. Crash to BSOD with the following example messages. "An exception 0D has occurred at 0028:C0027298 in VxD - NTKERN(01)+00007074. This was called from 0028:C18A0D64 in VxD KBDH1D(01)+000000f4 " Pressing returns to the Desktop with a frozen outside view and instrument panel BUT with functioning sound, i.e. as I cycle through the views (S), nothing changes on screen but I can hear the different sounds for each view.6. Crash to BSOD with "0E:0028:00000009". gives a return to the Desktop which is only partially functional and at a lower resolution than before (a residue of the FS res?)ACTIONS TAKEN SO FAR without success1. FS is always run from a fresh re-boot and clear out of the system using EndItAll.2. Uninstall & re-install FS with a defrag in between.Many folders, and a residue in Registry?? seemed to be left behind so I deleted the folders, edited mention of FS2002 out of Registry, deragged again and re-installed, this SEEMS to have achieved a clean installation.Are there any other keys to search for in Registry other than FS2002?3. Used computer manufacturer's Recovery Disc. The option chosen "re-installs" System files WITHOUT requiring re-installation of applications. I've used this before with no trouble.(Evesham Computers)4. Run DXDiag, no apparent problems.5. Downloaded and installed latest video drivers - Detonator XP v28.326. No other FS software in use.SYSTEMAthlon 1.2GHz512 MB ramnVidia GeForce Ultra 2 - 64MBDisk free space = 1.9GBAny help gratefully received,Roger"Time Flies at Old Warden" www.shuttleworth.org

Guest JamesJ

I've seen a tip a couple of times which calls for deleting the FS2002 Config. file. On starting the sim it will be rebuilt and will supposedly clear up some problems..you could try this, but be advised you'll have to reenter all your settings..joystick assignments, etc JamesJ

Cut&Paste's below...personally, I have no idea how to help you ;)DrClaw (Visitor) According to microsoft, fast AMD processors have a timing issue with Win98 - do an article search on Microsoft for something like the following - * An Exception OD has occurred at VXD ***0028:* or maybe* Fast AMD causes VXD.VMM errorsThey suggest using the japanese version of the file as follows :The Japanese version of this fix should have the following fileattributes or later: Date Time Version Size File name ---------------------------------------------------- 03/10/00 8:50pm 04.10.00.2223 477,172 Vmm.vxd the above from tek-tips.comIf you don't run Win98SE then post your OS. You sure your fans are running properly??michaelEdit: further stuff--"Well, I stumbled upon a site (http://www.waynescomputerworld.com/win98.htm Thanks bunches, Wayne!) which suggested disabling the external cache in the BIOS. I thought, nah - too simple, no way is this going to work! Well, I tried it and have had no blue screens since I did it on Wednesday - and I couldn't do ANYTHING before - got a blue screen everytime I booted up - could never shut down properly. So, since I searched every site imaginable looking for a solution and found that there are literally hundreds of folks having the same problem, I wanted to share this! Hope it works for all as well as it did for me! ""Anyway, it DEFINITELY has something to do with heat and AMD-processors or memory..."". After extensive research and troubleshooting, I believe that the problems are caused solely by excessive heat. Supporting evidence is:1. ALL components other than the processors work reliably (long-term) in other systems. This includes the RAM, motherboards (with same bios settings), video cards, sound cards, hard drives, etc..2. During Win 98 SE setup, the errors only appear at processor-intensive stages.3. When the errors appear, immediate restarting does not solve the problem. However, shutting down and waiting several minutes does temporarily solve the problem (presumably allowing for cool-down.)4. Disconnecting the heat-sink fan on the processor causes the errors almost immediately.5. Removing the cover to the case helps tremendously."

PSOS = Win MECPU temp. = approx 50 deg.CMB temp. = < 40 deg.CRoger"Time Flies at Old Warden" www.shuttleworth.org

Hey Roger,Along with the good suggestions by Micheal. I would to make sure that your CPU is being cooled properly. Take the side of your case off, if you have a fan have it blow (on high). See if that stops the errors. 1. How Many fans are there in your case?Of course I can tell you Windows ME is a loathsome OS. I have it installed on my system only as a secondary OD to Windows XP. If you can get a hold of Windows 2000 or Windows XP, that would be good. If not backup your needed data to another drive or partition, and blow the OS away, and install fresh. It will save you much useless stress and depression!!! Believe me I know.As I had mentioned in another post, Windows XP or Windows 2000 are the only OSes that could stand up to my punishment, since I usually am down in the guts of an OS tweaking and studying it to death.If you require any more assistance contact anytime!!(EDITED)Also try removing those current detonator drivers, and installing an older, well proven driver. See if you can get the Detonator Destroyer program to remove all traces of the drivers. Then reinstall the drivers. Of course change your display to a standard VGA driver first.I also found this:http://www.overclockers.com/tips400I think you will find it is very informative. http://www.forefrontgrp.com/jayssig.jpg"There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!"

Thanks for the comments, I'm working my way through everything that doesn't involve a full re-install of Windows :-)Swap file set to 500 min. - 600 max.Don't like the Big Brother approach of XP, anyway, I've already paid for this! And it's under warrenty.Just found the latest driver.Bit worried about the mention of a potential hardware problem, I got that from another forum as well!Temperatures seem to be O.K.No luck so far except that by making the resolution the same in FS and ME and/or adjusting the troubleshooting slider in the nVidia controls that reduces the amount of hardware acceleration the system seems more stable, less total lockups but still freezing of the screens requiring cycling with Alt-Enter.Why did this have to happen in the summer! Winter's the time for messing about with computers!Roger"Time Flies at Old Warden" www.shuttleworth.org