Sign in to follow this  
Guest daves0

Anyone updated from 1800+ to 2100+ lately?

Guest gasebah

Hi y'all,I will upgrade from an XP1800+ to a 2100+ this week.I have a GF4600Ti and an MSI KT266 Pro/RU 2 Board.Has anyone upgraded a system like this lately?Can u tell me about the results that I can expect with FS2002?Rgds,Alex

I would suspect if you were only upgrading the CPU you wouldn't get much of a performance gain compared to the money spent.You don't say how much memory you have - this might be a better option.RegardsRussell Jourdain (NZL007/ZK-RHJ)

Guest gasebah

Rusell,I am not exactly rich but I get do not have to worry about some bucks for my hobby. Additionally I could sell the XP1800 for a reasonable price."if you were only upgrading the CPU". What else should I upgrade? I suspect that the GF4Ti4600 is actually to fast for this processor. I suspect it to run in 2nd gear.I tried to upgrade from 512 to 1024MB ram. But that makes no sense as FS2002 makes agressive use of the memory, and the system overall is quite fast. To get the 1024 MB ram stable I had to turn down the memory timings so much that the overall system actually even got slower.So to upgrade the CP

Guest Max Cowgill

Go ahead and buy it, just don't come on here complaining about "I didn't get any performance improvement wah wah wah." 1800 XP (1.53GHz) -> 2100 XP (1.73GHz) = 200MHz actual clockspeed difference which will be a virtually imperceptible difference. You might get another 3 fps in FS2k2, but don't expect anything like twice the performance of your current CPU. If you want more performance, you'll need to raise the FSB speed to get any worthwhile gains. The Athlon XP is limited by its FSB speed at this point in its life, raising the core clock speed alone doesn't provide as much performance benefit as raising the FSB would. Max Cowgill

>>>"Go ahead and buy it, just don't come on here complaining about "I didn't get any performance improvement wah wah wah." <<

Guest SD Sim

>>>>"Go ahead and buy it, just don't come on here complaining about "I didn't get any performance improvement wah wah wah." <<<>>Man what an attitude!!!!! >>Carlos Hi Carlos,Don't be put off. Max is correct, and his blunt response simply gets to the point. This is Max's style, unique like so many other members on this forum. Of course if you really want to rile him, ask him about the difference between overclocking an XP1800 versus upgrading to a 2100. That should get the juices flowing.Edit - oops, I meant an XP1700, sorry Max.Cheers :-wave

Guest Max Cowgill

>>>>>"Go ahead and buy it, just don't come on here complaining about "I didn't get any performance improvement wah wah wah." <<<>>>>Man what an attitude!!!!! >>>>Carlos >>Hi Carlos, >>Don't be put off. Max is correct, and his blunt response >simply gets to the point. This is Max's style, unique like >so many other members on this forum. Of course if you really >want to rile him, ask him about the difference between >overclocking an XP1800 versus upgrading to a 2100. That >should get the juices flowing. >>Edit - oops, I meant an XP1700, sorry Max. LOL, thanks for the defense, David. If I'm ever put on trial and need a character witness, I'll be sure to call you ;) As for my computing adventures, I'm about to kick my PC in the balls. At least it's stable and everything works perfectly (games, music, cd burning, net access, etc.) but I miss my nice solid o/c with my old mobo (albeit w/no sound and no cd-rw) 1.65GHz/150MHz is a lot faster than 1.5GHz/136.5MHz in my book. I'm still going to try and push a little more out of my CPU/memory but I think this mobo is holding me back.Max Cowgill

Guest gasebah

Hi Max,no prob with your attitude at all. Of course I tried to raise my FSB but the system will become unstable at any FSB higher than 138Mhz. Above 140Mhz the sytem wont even start. I suspect the Ram to be the reason for this and also the Mobo (I have a ##### MSI board as you do. So a faster processor is the last resort. If a can get 3 fps more in critical situations like large overcrowded airports I will be satisfied. If I will raise my fps in 11000 feet and cloudless skies from 50 to 53 fps I will be ######.Cheers,AlexP.S.: I am not really tempted to mess with unlocking the Athlon and ruin the thing.

Guest PaulL01

>Hi Max, >>no prob with your attitude at all. Of course I tried to >raise my FSB but the system will become unstable at any FSB >higher than 138Mhz. Above 140Mhz the sytem wont even start. >I suspect the Ram to be the reason for this and also the >Mobo (I have a ##### MSI board as you do. So a faster >processor is the last resort. If a can get 3 fps more in >critical situations like large overcrowded airports I will >be satisfied. If I will raise my fps in 11000 feet and >cloudless skies from 50 to 53 fps I will be ######. >>Cheers, >Alex >>P.S.: I am not really tempted to mess with unlocking the >Athlon and ruin the thing. >Hi Alex, Since you are giving your CPU about a 9% increase in power, and since the CPU alone is roughly 70-80% responsible (depending on MB & memory) for FS2k2's performance, you can expect an increase of about 7.2% across the board. That means if you are getting 15 FPS in certain areas then you can expect to see an increase of 1.08 FPS.If you ever do get intrested in unlocking your CPU be warned that XP2100's do not unlock very easily that is; along with having to fill and connect the L1 bridges there are also some other bridges that must be cut and this is not fun, as in very dangerous.Hey, why not go for a new XP2200? :)Take Care,Paul

Guest daves0

Read this:http://tech-report.com/reviews/2002q2/athl...00/index.x?pg=1Seems to me, that the newer Intels with the 533 FSB are the way to go...again...plus the 2200 is still at 266FSB...the 2.26 P4 is reasonable priced at about $260...the 2.53 is still a bit pricey at $500+I have an AMD XP1800+...and usually buy AMD, but it may be time for a change....have to keep watching the $$$$..and where AMD takes the next step.