Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Nicholson KMFR

Not able to select rwy after missed approach

I need help from someone that can tell me how to select a runway after a declaring a missed approach. Specifically in the case where the runway used is not the one assigned by ATC.Here is a scenerio:As I contact approach, I'm told to expect vectors for runway X. I then use the menu to select the runway that MS ATC is using, call it runway Y.If I declare a missed approach and then say I want vectors for a new approach, RCV3 tells me to expect vectors for Runway X. I've sequenced through the menu and I can't find an option to get to runway Y. I have to change from vectors to IAP, then I can choose runway Y via the appropriate IAP.In summary, it appears RCV3 always sends you to runway X when the pilot asks for vectors following a missed approach. I have no problem with this if I was allowed to select another runway. My first choice would be to have RCV3 assume I want vectors to the runway I was last using, and also allow me to change runways if I wish.Am I not following the menu procedures correctly, or is this the way the system was programmed?Thanks,Bruce

just to clarifywas this a go-around or a missed approach? did tower hand it to you, or did you ask for it.if it is a go-around, your description sounds accurateif it is a missed approach, you would be asked for your intentions. if you ask for vectors again, you will be given the same runway and approach as you had to begin with. after a couple of 30 degree and 60 degree turns, you will be turned towards the airport, and then to downwind.at that point, either on the turn in to the airport, or on downwind, you can request a different runway.go-arounds, the tower screwed up, and he's going to give it one more shotjd

JD,This is a pilot declared missed approach, not a tower directed go-around.I only observe this issue when I ask for a runway different than the one initially assigned by approach. This situation has only happened to me twice, and the first time I thought I did something wrong. The second time it happened, I knew it was not "user-error"Here is yesterday's case:I was approaching KPDX. The wind was 190 @ 7. Approach told me to expect vectors for the rwy 22 approach. MS ATIS said landings were on 28L. I selected rwy 28R. I called for a close in approach and didn't get down in time to make the landing, so I selected the Missed Approach option.Controller asked me to declare my intentions. I asked for vectors and immediately, the advdisp window showed rwy 22. The vectors then turned me outbound from rwy 28 and eventually downwind for rwy 22. The entire time I was searching for a way to tell the controller I didn't want 22, I wanted to repeat on 28R. I was now 15 mi north of the airport, so I chose IAP, then ILS, then rwy 28R.So I posted the question, how do I request my missed runway and not the runway that approach wants to give me? It appears after flying 15 miles to the north of the airport, I didn't give the program enough time to let me ask for rwy 28R. On the other hand, flying that far north waiting for the request is the long way around and selecting the IAP procedure was much more efficient.Can the program be changed so it remembers the runway you requested and does not switch back to the wind-favorable runway?Bruce