Sign in to follow this  

RC3 and SID/STAR's along with PSS Airbus series

Hi, I have a question about RC3 functionality. I would really like to purchase it after the flightsim.com review I read, but I'm wondering how RC3 works with SID/STAR's. If I program these into the PSS Airbus flight computer will RC3 recognize it and in the case of a STAR vector me to the runway approach afterwords? In other words, FS2002 does not allow to use SID's or STAR's but since the PSS aircraft have this info I'd like to use them and want to know if RC3 will allow for it. Thanks.

Guest Skywalker

In real flying STAR's are not that common due to heavy traffic at most airports. ATC normally takes over before you reach T/D and will guide you to rwy. I use PSS Airbus by default and it works perfectly with RC! A great couple indeed! When loading a flightplan into PSS the FMS cuts off the first waypoint, however, it only takes seconds to add it manually! Enjoy!Sam

Yeah, I found out about that waypoint issue the hard way once. Loaded a plan, took off, all of a sudden I'm being given headings to fly and couldn't figure out why until I loaded up the FS2002 flightplanner and compared it to what was in the flight plan page for the Airbus MCDU.

Hi Guys,Good question about RC and SID/STARS. The use of SID/STARS in real life varies, we have several controllers on the RC team that can tell you a host of "war stories" about their use. ATC will vary a SID/STAR due traffic, weather or both. In most cases a flight plan does start with both of them if they are available at a given airport. I can tell you flying and living here in Denver, they are used most of the time to some extent.Now on to your questions. First RC can only "see" the SID/STARS that you have in your flight plan. As in the real world, ATC does not know what you have programmed into your FMC. I use FSNav 4.5 I always put the SID for my route into the flight plan and the STAR for my destination airport. I fly 90% of the time with the PIC 767 until PSS updates the 777 panel. Even though they have SID/STARS and transitions built into many airports, RC cannot know anything about them. If you like select them many times they have additional reference points alone the SID or STAR, but don't have duplicate waypoints. Helps YOU as the pilot know where you are but not RC.Now if you want to follow a STAR to the exact points, select the IAP (Instrument Approach Procedures), RC will direct you to the initial fix and then you are expected to fly the approach as published on the plates. I did one into the Honolulu yesterday with their "WILD" approach to runway 26L. When the winds come off the ocean from the southwest there, it will test your pilot skills, since you have to do a 45 degree turn on final about 2 miles from the runway.If you have further questions please post and we will help you get the correct procedure.CheersBob Johnson

Ok, so if I understand you correctly.........I can input whatever SID/STAR I want to use into my PSS flightplan so that the FMC will fly it for me, then use something like FSNavigator........because if I understand right, it has a list of what SID/STAR's are available?.....to create a flightplan instead of the FS2002 utility and then RC will know what I am planning to fly and will direct me when appropriate?

i haven't used this feature, but basically i *think*:you tell approach that you want to fly IAP and then it lets you go where you like no approach within 40 miles of the airport so you are free to use the FMC to fly your STAR. it won't direct you at all, it's up to you to fly it correctly :)

The answer guys is almost correct. First FSNav does nOT have a list of SID/STARS you pick from. If you are going to use them then you MUST have a arrival/departure plate for that airport which you can get from Jepp, Echo Plate or the US Gov. If you attempt to use a SID/sTAR without a printed plate you have no idea where you are going in relationship to runways.Next, once you have the plate and you want to follow it perfectly, then you request from Radar Contact a IAP for that STAR. RC will give you clearance to the IP and then you fly it from there. The key is that PSS or PIC SID and or STARS mean nothing if you don't have a printed approach or departure plates.Hope this is now clear as mud (LOL)Bob Johnson

>FSNav does nOT have a list of SID/STARS you pick from.It does too! And it's accompanied by a function to download SIDs/STARs made by other FSNav users.But I agree with you on the rest. You really do need plates for these things. Published procedures are much more than a series of geographically fixed waypoints. The challenge becomes much more interesting when e.g. you have to follow a heading XXX until reaching XXXX feet, turn left to heading XXX and intercept radial XXX. Just interpreting the plate can be a big challenge.