Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Default AI

HiThe only thing stopping me from ordering Radar Contact is the fact that, so I've heard, it doesn't recognise the default AI.Is this correct? If so, will future versions be able to overcome this?I can't stand the default ATC any longer, but like the crowded skies.Or is it just not worth worrying about?Any advice would be gratefully received.Cheers!Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest Murf

Hi Gavin,If you search the forumn for the topic "ai" I think you will find several postings on this topic.RC3 does recognize AI traffic in the air and yout will receive traffic advisories and diversions for the AI traffic.RC3 can not control AI traffic.RC3 does not see traffic on the ground.I understand this is due to the fact that Microsoft has not released a SDK to allow 3rd party developers to work with AI traffic.RC3 is definately much improved over the default ATC. I highly recommend it.

Guest Scott Campbell

Mike,>RC3 does recognize AI traffic in the air and yout will >receive traffic advisories and diversions for the AI >traffic. You won't receive vectors for AI traffic, but you will be told when there's AI in your path. We're working on recognizing AI on the ground.>RC3 can not control AI traffic. True. This is a MS limitation. Until they put out an AI/ATC SDK we won't be able to.>RC3 does not see traffic on the ground. Not yet. ;-) But it's coming along. At least you'll be given holding short and GA instructions when AI stumble onto the runway if it's in your way. You will be given the correct number of your sequence on final (i.e. when you are told "You're number 2", you are in fact #2). You'll be told to hold short until the AI on the runway in front of you are gone.>I understand this is due to the fact that Microsoft has not >released a SDK to allow 3rd party developers to work with AI >traffic. True, but we're getting there. Pete Dowson and JD have been working hard on this.>RC3 is definately much improved over the default ATC. I>highly recommend it.Me, too. ;-) Remember its key feature is that it follows real-world regulations and procedures as best as possible within the limits of FS. Then JD and Doug took it a couple steps further. ;-)

man... you guys should elaborate on this and stick it at the top of the fourm in capitol letters. I have read how many responses to this? 15? 20?I too had this questions at initial release, but a simple search for 3 minutes and I had extensive answers, espcially in the free downloadable manual. Guess I am just grouch this morning.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Guest Murf

"You won't receive vectors for AI traffic, but you will be told when there's AI in your path. We're working on recognizing AI on the ground."Scott,My mistake... I thought I had read something about it somewhere.Great to hear the other AI issues are coming along!"man... you guys should elaborate on this and stick it at the top of the fourm in capitol letters. I have read how many responses to this? 15? 20?"Mike S.I think I mentioned in my post to Gavin that if he searched the forum he would find other postings regarding his AI questions. However, I don't mind answering a question for someone if I can, even if it has been asked and answered already. Although, in this case I was a little off base. :-)Sorry you had to read the same old stuff all over again...

Guest Scott Campbell

Mike,No worries mate. We're happy to have anyone answer questions. Keep it up.Mike,Me, too. ;-) But then new stuff does get added once in a while. ;-)Any other Mikes I missed? :-lol

Hi Gavin,Even though RC does not interact with the ai traffic the way the default atc does, the difference (in my opinion, of course) is negligible. You can interact with RC on your com 1 radio while monitoring the default atc on your com 2 radio. So if you want to you still get to hear as well see the ai traffic around you. Sometimes you'll get RC and the default atc talking at the same time, but you can adjust the volume of the default atc so this is not a problem. Anyway, it makes you really pay attention, just like a real pilot has to. :)Sidney Schwartz [KPDX]MyTraffic/Radar Contact/FSMeteo/FSSE/FSassist/FDCHorizon Flights--flight plans and scenery for FS2002http://sidneyschwartz.homestead.com/index.html

Guys!Thanks very much for your help and advice. RC is a definite 'purchase' once my credit card has recovered from the shock of Christmas/New Year.A million apologies for asking a question that had already been asked. Rest assured that I now feel suitably guilty. But thanks anyway for taking the trouble to reply in a friendly way.Cheers!Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

>Even though RC does not interact with the ai traffic the way >the default atc does, the difference (in my opinion, of >course) is negligible.I like RC3 very much, but with that particular point-of-view I have to disagree. I think the difference is the only weak point of RC3.A lot of efforts by many members of the FS2002 community have gone into adding AI traffic resembling the real world from a local perspective, i.e. making sure that you only meet airlines around airports where they come in real life. For my own lazy part, I have bought and installed MyTraffic to achieve this goal.The effect of MyTraffic is twofold:1. When I look out of the windows, I see airliners that reflect real-world presence.2. When I listen to the built-in ATC, I hear the corresponding callsigns, making the simulation much more immersive.With RC3, I loose number 2.>You can interact with RC on your com >1 radio while monitoring the default atc on your com 2 >radio. So if you want to you still get to hear as well see >the ai traffic around you. Sometimes you'll get RC and the >default atc talking at the same time, but you can adjust the >volume of the default atc so this is not a problem.Before I received RC3, I thought this would be a solution, but now I have to say that it's not. Not for me at least. I hate when they talk over each other, and unless I also activate the built-in ATC (which of course puts even more strain on my already overloaded brain) they act and talk as if I'm not even there. One of the nicest touches of the built-in ATC is when they tell somebody to hold short when you're on final.>Anyway, it makes you really pay attention, just like a real pilot >has to. :) I refuse to believe that real pilots face the challenge of monitoring two ATCs that have no knowledge of each other's existence :-)RC3 is a very good alternative to the flawed and unrealistic built-in ATC system, but you do loose some cool features of the original. You get a much better sound-track, but it's not always following the film as well as the original one.This is not critique of the RC team. It's the way it is and probably the way it has to be. There's a limit to how much one can do when making add-ons for FS2002. BTW, I'm thrilled to hear that there's light at the end of tunnel in terms of ground control.

Guest Scott Campbell

Henrik,The best solution is to have MS put out an AI/ATC SDK so RC can monitor the ground traffic, landing traffic, etc.The more people write them and ask for that the better. Then RC can have some control over FSATC seeing you, and maybe some control over the AI.