Sign in to follow this  

Three things I like the most and least about RCv3.0

Just my .02, but the three things I like most:1) Level of detail! FS ATC always made me feel like I was an actor following a prewritten script. With Radar Contact I feel like I'm really in control (no pun intended) of what happens. The attention to detail of the dev team is outstanding.2) Intermediate clearances. No more cleared from the runway to FL 350- ATC brings me by steps all the way up and all the way down.3) Takeoff vectors. I love when tower tells me to fly 340 off runway 36. I'll buy a beer for whoever thought to include this small detail!The things I like the least:1) Advdisp. Although a capable and functional utility, it still feels like a bit of a kludge to me. I'd love for Radar Contact to hijack FS2002's ATC, although I understand that this may not be possible. Maybe Advdisp could be made to look transparent like FS2002's window and I could position it in the center of my screen and assign a key to show/hide it?2) Ground chatter repetitiveness. I love all the chatter, but if I hear that pilot chat with ground about learning to fly the Cougar one more time, I'm downloading an Apache with Hellfire missles and going after the tower.3) Always being cleared to 10000 in 30 miles or less on descents. I like the flexibility in descents, but they all seem to terminate with "start down now, please. I need you there in 30 miles or less". Could it be set up so this is only one of two or three descent profiles/methods?All in all this product has really increased my enjoyment of FS2002. It's a great and detailed piece of work, and given the complexities involved it amazes me that that it works so well. Heck, I'll buy a beer for the entire dev team!-Simon

Simon,Re: >>3) Always being cleared to 10000 in 30 miles or less on descents. I like the flexibility in descents, but they all seem to terminate with "start down now, please. I need you there in 30 miles or less". Could it be set up so this is only one of two or three descent profiles/methods?<

>Next flight, >ensure your final checkpoint is a VOR and within 5m of your >arrival field. This yields a normal xing restriction.Hmmm...this is something I'm doing wrong- I've been deliberately *not* choosing final waypoints close to the airfield to avoid potentially confusing ATC. I'll use the field VOR next time.I forgot to add a fourth thing to the list of things I like:4) It took me five minutes to come up with the list of likes but took me twenty to come up with three things I don't like!-Simon

Guest Scott Campbell

Simon,One other note. You will always get a crossing restriction to be down to 10000/15000 by 40 miles from the field. It may be the "I need you down in 30 miles or less" or it may be the "Cross 40 miles from xxx at 10000/15000...", but you'll always be told to be down by 40 miles from the field before being handed to APC.

1) it has been asked a number of times, and peter dowson has tried a number of things. given enough time, he will probably get it to work. but i would rather he concentrate on some of the features everyone (not just rc) want.2) if you fly in the usa, and don't like the usa chatter, delete all the wavs in winwood$usa3) already answered4) i think we knocked out 2 of the 3 dislikes :-)

Guest Scott Campbell

>2) if you fly in the usa, and don't like the usa chatter, delete all the wavs in winwood$usaUSA, not $USA.It's best to just rename it to something like USA1. You get RC-generated chatter and don't lose the canned stuff if you want to use it later on.