Sign in to follow this  
Guest sludge

RC3 Starts me down too soon

Guest sludge

Folks:Flying the DreamFleet 737 w/FMS, LNAV and VNAV engaged. RC3 always starts me down 20 to 30 miles before I want to start the descent (per the FMS). How do I go about delaying the descent until I'm ready? Is there a way to ask for a "pilot's discretion" descent, or do I have to request a higher altitude? In real life you can usually negotiate something with ATC (usually but not always).If this has been beaten to death before I apologize. I did a search on "pilot's discretion" and didn't find anything useful....Cheers,

rc starts you down, so that you will be 40 miles from your arrival airport at 10,000ft.i think it starts at exactly the right place. is the fms telling you otherwise? what is it's criteria on when to start down?

Guest sludge

jd:I think 10,000 ft 40 mi from the airport is a little low, a little far out....10,000 at 30 miles is probably better, at least for high performance aircraft.I don't know the programming behind the dreamfleet 737's FMS calculation of the TOD point. I just know that RC3 wants me to start down 20 to 30 miles before the FMS-calculated TOD.By way of background, I was a corporate pilot some years ago, in piston, turboprop, and jet airplanes.I'm not critical of your program, I'd just like to be able to use the VNAV for descents while using RC3 and the DreamFleet 737.Thx

Guest Scott Campbell

Bill,The DF FMS has a glaring error in that it calculates your distance to the airport, not distance to when APC takes over your control adn vectors you to the final.40 miles out at 10,000/15,000 CR is per FAA average standard, although there are obviously times when Center/APC will allow you to disregard the restrictions.Put a point in at 40 miles from the airport and set that point altitude to 10,000 and see when the FMS starts you down.

Guest sludge

Scott and jd:Okay, I can try to do that. However, I'm not sure I'd say that the DF 737 "has a glaring error" by not calculating where ATC wants the airplane to be (according to you learned gents, 10,000 ft at 40 miles out). The DF 737 FMS probably calculates the most efficient TOD point independent of, and without regard for, ATC. As a pilot striving for efficiency that's what I'd prefer, vs putting me at such a low, gas-guzzling altitude 40 miles out. With jet engines and cabin pressurization you can come down like a brick and not hurt the engines or the passenger's ears.But the real point is, would it be possible to develop a way to delay the start of descent, some way to negotiate with ATC, or would that be too complex within the FS2002 environment? Or, how about an option to set ATC altitude at 40 miles (give the high performance airplanes the option of 15,000 ft at 40 miles vs 10,000 feet)?Anyway, I'm having a great deal of fun with your product and enjoy it immensely.Thanks and cheers,

>The DF FMS has a glaring error in that it calculates your >distance to the airport, not distance to when APC takes over >your control adn vectors you to the final. The DF FMS can hardly be expected to overrule what the pilot has programmed it to do. If one tells it what to expect in terms of altitude restrictions, it will fly the plane accordingly in VNAV mode.If anything here can be accused of having a "glaring error" it's RC3 because it doesn't really support published procedures. I wouldn't go as far as that, though. An "understandable limitation" comes closer.