Sign in to follow this  
Guest RobA

FS has pigged out

Guest RobA

......and filled my harddrive to the limit! Properties for the main FS2K2 folder are showing 23 Gig...crikey! A careful search of all my folder properties in FS shows about 6 Gig, as I know it was a few days ago. Somethings rotten, that's for sure. Did all the normal stuff like virus scans, scandisk, defrag. Running Win98 with no partitions set up. Two days ago I had 17 Gig of free space on a 40 Gig HD, now it's full.... too weird. Can't even get FS running now as I get a msg that Drive C is full, etc.Anyone ever hear of this?Best, Rob

Hi Rob,All I can tell you is that when your operating system isn't sure about where and what your files are, consider it a "code red" alert...disaster may be imminent. Back up your critical data immediately. This sort of thing hasn't happened to me often, but when it has it's inevitably degraded into a complete disaster of the reformat/reinstall variety. Sidney Schwartz [KPDX]MyTraffic/Radar Contact/FSMeteo/FSSE/FSassist/FDC

Guest Scott Campbell

Rob,If you had a drive crash recently, your free space will be corrupted. I highly recommend backing the important stuff up as Sidney suggests, then running Norton Disk Doctor (not scandisk as that's useless).I bet you have a myriad broken chains and faulty FATs.You might also want to set your view to Details and see what's taking up so much space. But do the backup and disk fix first.

Guest RobA

groan..... I'm going to hang in there till FS2004 comes out and not fix anything that's not seriously broken. ;-)I've finally discovered what's going on but can not stop it from happening. FS is writing a file to the main FS folder at startup with a 4 place alpha/numeric name showing zero KB size. The sim runs fine now. But, when I close it I get the error box and the opportunity to send a report to Bill. I choose not to send or restart the sim and close. Opening up Explorer again the previous file..say "A270" has gone from zero KB to 1.1 Gigabytes! Close the sim 17 times and my harddrive is full. So that's where the lost 17 gigs of HD space went to and deleting them cured the problem, or so it seems. Guess I'll have to delete this file each time I shut down the sim....a bother but not a show stopper. ;(8 I know what is happening but don't know what's doing it or how to stop it, but hey life is good, business is great and people are wonderful. Thanks for the ideas, allRob