Sign in to follow this  
Guest SD Sim

Wideview Setup Question

I am using wideview on FS2002 with 2 17 monitors side by sideCan anyone explain how to setup 2 views so that therunway does not appear at the edge of the 2 monitor. Whenthe runway is narrow during a landing, it is hidden behind the frames of the monitors. There must be a way to skew theview right or left. I am using the normal cockpit view NOTthe Virtual View.ThanksDoug

Guest SD Sim

Hi Doug,If I understand your problem correctly, you are only using two monitors, and have them set up for left and right views, such that the runway is in the center of the space defined by your two monitors (i.e. hidden by the edges of your monitors). There are two solutions to your problem, one simple, one not. The first is to use one monitor for your forward view, and the second monitor for the side view (either left or right). The more complicated (actually, more costly) solution is to set up a third monitor, allowing you to have one front view and two side views (both left and right). I'm assuming that you already understand how to revise the view settings on the client computer. If not, let me know and I will be happy to help you further.

Thank You very much for the reply. I noticed on theWidevieW internet site that they have thier front viewsplit by the 2 front center monitors. I guess thisis why i am thinking it is possible. I have hadthe one monitor set as a side view and it work ok.However i could not keep the horizons lined up duringwhen aircraft made left/right turns. What have i setupincorrectly?ThanksDoug

Guest SD Sim

Hi Doug,I struggled with horizon alignment for a period as well. For me, the solution was to make sure that the zoom is set correctly in the Panel.cfg file (this is in each aircraft folder, within the "panel" subfolder). Check this file (it can be opened with WordPad or any other test editor) and add the following text (replace the <> with square brackets):VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOM=1.25Note that if your client is set up correctly, you should already have text which reads something like:VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=3.0, 0.0, -22.5You want to add the text for the zoom setting immediately after the forward view data.You can of course set the zoom manually within the sim, but if you change views it will return to the default value which is usually 1.0. I would sware that I sometimes have a zoom change when I perform an extreme manuever, but this is probably just my imagination (or the dizzying effect from pulling all those Gs).Good luck. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

DaveCan you stretch the main forward window over two monitors?(Have an ATI Radeon on 2 monitors)If I undock the main screen - I can see the frame, but no graphics on the second monitor. Wideview works fine on front plus side, but what I really want to do is the same thing Doug is talking about - a really 'wide view' out front.Cant doctor the resolution to (2*1024)*760.Any ideasThanks in advancePete

Hi Pete, If i understand your system, you have 1 pcwith Radeon dual monitor video card?I had the Radeon 8500 in my Dell 1.7 Ghzand was able to do what you are wanting to do. It hasbeen several weeks since i had my machine set up that way but if my memory is correct, i beleive i started with themain cockpit view NOT in full screen mode.I undocked andstretched the window across the 2 monitors.Make sure theresolutions are set the same in FS2002's display hardwaresetup screen.Once the window is in place i switched tofull screen mode (Alt-Enter).The problem i had with thatsetup was the frame rates went to single digits. I nowhave 2 pc's networked using WidevieW program. I hope thishelps you out. Let me know what i can do to help.ThanksDoug

Guest SD Sim

Hi Pete,Doug is correct. If you try to display on two monitors, you will end up crippling MSFS. WidevieW was designed to address just this problem, and works quite well. However, I did find it useful in the begining (before WidevieW) to drag all my instruments (including the 2D cockpit panel)over to the second monitor. Then you can enjoy a full screen view of your flight. A little awkward at first, but I grew used to it.

Doesn't stretching your view on two monitors eat up the frame rate. I thought you needed a second computer to run another view. Currently I run WideFS on 2 systems and 3 monitors. The two monitors are on my main system so I can drag stuff onto the second monitor. On the second system, I run SB, RW, PmTCAS, QuickMap and any other program that can use WideFS. I would like to set up another view if possible.

Guest SD Sim

Hi Dan,You are correct, sorry if my last post was confusing. Two views, even if stretching to a second monitor, tends to kill performance. I don't think there is a way to do it without another computer, but if someone does know how to do it without a big frame rate hit, I would sure like to know about it.My set up sounds like it's identical to yours. I too want a third view, but I'm going to try and wait until this fall when new CPU/memory formats are out. I still don't have enough power to fly the Grabowski ERJ 145 without a noticeable hit on performance. I just hope that three view monitors will keep me happy :-lol

DougThanks much for the response.I do have a double header ATI Radeon, also a second (PCI) graphics card for the instruments. Have the system on a network, and generally use WidevieW for the left/front view off the other PC.Frame rates went to hell with another view screen active.Will retry the stretch before full screen.Thanks for the input.Peter