Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dominik Mann

More airships on the horizon?

Guest Dominik Mann

Just downloaded Bill Lyons' great Goodyear Defender and Skyship 600 Fuji blimps and was asking myself if there happen to be any other airships for FS 2002 in the works. I'd especially enjoy some of the bigger examples, such as these:http://www.pilotundluftschiff.de/zzPL1017.jpghttp://www.pilotundluftschiff.de/zzPL1640.jpgLZ 127 "Graf Zeppelin"http://www.pilotundluftschiff.de/zzPL0205.jpgLZ 130 "Graf Zeppelin II" - sister ship of the ill-fated "Hindenburg"http://www.pilotundluftschiff.de/zzPL0181.jpgThe "Norge" - first airship (semi-rigid) to overfly the North Pole in 1926 on an expedition directed by the great Roald AmundsenComments welcome!

Guest Timbo

I too would love to see many more airships for FS2002. A while back I heard Bill was working on a big zepp, possibly the Graf Zeppelin, but I'm not sure of the status on that.[TABLE BORDER=0][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr]

[td]

[link:timsfsstudio.home.attbi.com]Click here to visit Tim's FS Studio!] Updated June 11th!

[/td][/tr][/TABLE

Guest Heather 636

I too would like to see some of the old rigid airships for 2002.At one time, I believe it was on FS98, I had a downloaded Graf Zeppelin. It was big then and the model was only half the size of the original due to constriants within FS98.I would just love to park the Hindenburg at my local county airport. i have a friend who lives right next to it and could use the shade.Cheers!Heather

Guest Dominik Mann

Didn't a trans-Atlantic trip on a Zeppelin take several days? Should be interesting to do in FS. Then again there's time acceleration... :-)BTW, does an airship "fly", "drive", or what else? In German the appropriate expression for what balloons (and airships, I think) do is not "flight" (Flug), but "drive" (Fahrt) .

Guest Timbo

Trans-atlantic crossings took about two days. Airships flew, not drove. :) The German term for "airship" is Luftschiff. Luft = air, schiff = ship[TABLE BORDER=0][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr]

[td]

[link:timsfsstudio.home.attbi.com]Click here to visit Tim's FS Studio!] Updated June 11th!

[/td][/tr][/TABLE

..There's another Airship thats been out for about a year. It's the excellent USN Airship Akron/Macon by Doug Westfall (Karbon). The package comes with a vintage Curtiss Sparrowhawk....that's the plane with the trapeze that was set up for in-air docking....The set was designed for CFS2, the trapeze will work in that sim, but not in FS200 of FS2002. However, the Airship and biplanes fly great in FS2002. ...BIG....Very different....beautifully crafted and beautifully detailed... and FREE.....Karbon's Website is at:http://home.neo.rr.com/westfall/..Several of his planes are there, and the AKron is at the Netwings site in their file library:http://www.netwings.org/library/CFS2_Plane...an/index-4.html

Guest Dominik Mann

"The German term for "airship" is Luftschiff."Yup - in fact, the acronym "LZ" (as in LZ 127) means "Luftschiff Zeppelin" in order to indicate on whose designs all later German airships go back :-) . During WW1 there were also airships built after designs by two individuals named Sch

Guest Timbo

All Zeppelins during WW1 were used as bombers. One of the reasons Shutte-Lanz failed was because unlike Zeppelin which used duraluminum to make its zepps, Shutte-Lanz used wood. The wood would absorb moisture and become weak. Tamas Palosi (I hope I spelled that right) made a Zeppelin NT and a Hindenburg wayyy back for FS5 but I haven't seen a new NT since. (Bill, are you reading this? ;-))[TABLE BORDER=0][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr]

[td]

[/td][/tr][/TABLE

Guest Dominik Mann

Some Zeppelins were also used for long-range resupply missions to German troops deployed in Africa or the Far East, or so I have read. Interesting, I didn't know the detail about Sch

Guest Dominik Mann

Cool! :-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpy And it's the Hindenburg, too! :-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpy

Guest Dominik Mann

Been thinking a bit about having Zeppelin anchoring facilities in FS...anyone think this would be possible to do? Here are a few ideas I was having...In order to be able to locate the anchor mast we might put a NDB with a custom frequency in the same spot as the mast itself. However, I'm not sure if it would be possible to configure the mast such that we could be vectored in onto it in the same manner as we might get steering vectors for an airfield landing in a plane.Then again, since not all Zeppelin fields did actually have such a mast, one might also consider creating some kind of a grass strip so that we would be able to be vectored in by ATC - and perhaps even have AI-controlled Zeppelins fly in and out of airship ports. Toss in a few custom buildings such as those huge airship hangars and maybe a crowd of static people representing the ground crew standing by to grab the tie-down ropes... In fact, this would be more appropriate for German Zeppelin facilities, since the "all hands tie-down" method was actually more popular in Germany.This could be really, really cool, don't you think? :D