Sign in to follow this  
Guest sgreenwood

PUZZLED........I feel like I am in 1st Grade

I am trying to organize the folders in my aircraft folder.Most of the folders are in alphabetical order, however, some folders seem to be STUBBORN! No matter what I rename them, adding a zero at the beginning to bump them up alphabetically, they persist in occupying the same position, or moving to a different position... not quite alphabetically in order.I copied a guilty folder outside the aircraft folder, made a new folder with a different name, copied the contents back in the new folder........same result.Anybody experience anything like that?.......PUZZLED!!!!Would appreciate any help.Thanks.Abe

Just right click any empty space in the aircraft folder, select "Arrange Icons," and click "by Name." It's that simple.

Guest Scott Campbell

Or select View/List and it's always ordered right and looks a lot better.

First thing I've done, again and again, it's basic but NO GO. That simple.

Guest sgreenwood

Abe,I aassume you are describing the sort order in Windows Explorer, and not in the FS Aircraft menu. If so, try switching the Windows Explorer view to "Details". This will add column title bars at the top of the Details pane. You can then click on each column title to sort the folder using the values in that column; click again to reverse the sort order. (Try each of the columns!)If this does not identify what is happening, perhaps you can provide a screenshot.Regards,Stevewww.fs-traveler.com

Guest GalacticCowboy

Something else to try: Collapse the tree view completely so that none of the "problem" folders are showing, AND navigate to a different folder so that they don't show on the right either. Then hit F5 to "refresh", and then open everything back up again. Sometimes I've noticed that Explorer seems to "stick" folders in incorrect places and this seems to solve the problem.LOL, sometimes I "feel" kind of like that "Chris Farley" character, "Matt Foley" who lived in a "van down by the river"... :D (Need the "quote" finger gestures too...)

Thank you gentlemen for your response.Steve and Kurtis, I followed your suggestions, and I think I tried that before on my own, but the result has been always the same.If you look at the picture you see:the 03*.*, 04*.*,05*.* folders are shown ahead of the 00*.*the 00757 folder is between 00707s and 007171TWAsomething interesting, if I change the 00757 to 00757100 then the folder falls into place.........weird huh?By the way, if you think I screwed up and used the letter'O' instead of 0 (zero), guess again, I made sure more than once that I am using the ZERO.I remember using a directory sort program way back with FS98 to rearrange the scenery folder, and I think that helped rearranging the scenery alphabetically. I'll probably have to look for it when I have a chance.If you gentlemen, can come up with a solution, I would really appreciate it.Thanks again.Abe

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Abe,I've created several empty folders using some of your problem file names and cannot duplicate the problem! Have you tried creating a few of these on another drive? I don't see anything in the Control Panel-Regional Settings that might explain it. I don't know if there is anything you can do in the View-Customize This Folder options that would cause this either.What happens if you list the files in a DOS window? [pre][big] F:/FS2000/AIRCRAFT>DIR /ON /B /P will display the data a page at a time F:/FS2000/AIRCRAFT>DIR /ON /B > dir.txt will create the dir.txt file[/big][/pre]At this point, I would probably try something like Norton's Utilities Disk Doctor, or at least Scandisk, to make sure the O/S file and directory information is intact.By the way, I use a very useful utility called "THE Rename" to manage bulk file/folder name changes. It is a very powerful tool, once you figure it out. It is available at http://www.herve-thouzard.com/therenamea.phtmlFor example, as a crude fix, but not recommended until you solve the current sorting problem, you could add an n-digit prefix and a hyphen to the folder names, incremented automatically. You can also use it to remove all the leading digits you have added to force the sort! :)Good luck,Stevewww.fs-traveler.com