Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ron Freimuth

Engine modelling is incorrect. How would one change it?

>It doesn't. Interesting. Nowadays planes that cost 1/2 that much are equipped with one.I read about instrument refreshment rate that can be set by user. So how smooth are the instruments ? What's the overall performance - how does it compare to the default airplanes ? Thanks.Michael J.

<<>>I have yet to fully explore the package, but I think you might be referring to the GPS. I definitely know you can set the refresh rate on that.<<>>Pretty smooth so far, although my frame rates seem to have taken a bit of a hit. I'm going to look into it and see what tweaking I should do.<<>It's got that "right" feeling, IMHO. I'm a big fan of piston twins, and this feels better to me than the default Baron, more stable and logical in the way it flies. The caveat is I'm no expert on either planes. The closest thing I've flown (and low hours at that) is a Piper Chieftain.I'm going to play around doing some asymmetric work and see how it feels.All in all though, I'm really impressed. I am going to ask here if there's any way of putting an ADF into the panel, though.

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Hi. > You are right. All, or most, MSFS engine/flight dynamic >models are not correct. >If you want something that you can use, you have to look/beg >for the Ron and Steve

Hi. Thank you, Ron. I was not sure about the distribution, I recall reading something about it. Thank you for all your effort. I have an .air file that I modified, empirically, since I am not sure what some of the elements do, and how they interact with each other, and after spending many hours of trial and error, the .cfg got munched up by FSEdit? Now I have to start a new .cfg. What fun! I hope you reconsider and give us amateurs a break. Thanks again for all you

>Pretty smooth so far, although my frame rates seem to have >taken a bit of a hitHow about the 2D panel alone ?. I understand that VC could cause fps hit but 2D panel should be much faster.Michael J.

Michael,On my system, the VC panels outdo the 2D's usually 5 to 10 fps in nearly all cases. Default & 3rd party.With the Archer, Cheyenne, Falcon 50, & C421, I'm liking the VC's all the better!L.Adamson

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Hi. > Thank you, Ron. I was not sure about the distribution, I >recall reading something about it. Thank you for all your >effort. I have an .air file that I modified, empirically, >since I am not sure what some of the elements do, and how >they interact with each other, and after spending many hours >of trial and error, the .cfg got munched up by FSEdit? Now I >have to start a new .cfg. What fun! Using FSEDIT is dangerous unless you only modify certain things. Such as moments of inertia, weight, payload, and a few others. If one changes the Wing Sweep, or any of many other things FSEDIT (or FS2K2) is likely to add a bunch of new sections to the AIR file. With it's idea of what many parameters should be. Unfortunately, such AIR files usually have bad flight dynamics. Save a BU of the AIR file and see that the regular file stays the same length as the BU! I generally edit aircraft.cfg. But, have to be careful or the same thing can happen. FS2K2 doesn't change things already set in aircraft.cfg but if one doesn't have everything already set it can end up messing up the AIR file and/or Aircraft.cfg Many AC parameters, including those relating to the tail surfaces, have NO EFFECT. Unless one lets FSEDIT/FS2K2 make the additions to the AIR file. Others are very important, such as Wing Area. It's only becaues I have some understanding of what is going on that I've avoided such problems after the first month or so of importing FS2K AC into FS2K2. If I do find the added records in an AIR file I remove them with Aired. Incidently, I've figured out what a lot of them do, but have no reason to not use the old records for FS2K2 AIR files.> I hope you reconsider >and give us amateurs a break. Thanks again for all you

Hi. Thanks for your feedback. I never invoked FSEdit. It would seem the MSFS will do that on it

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Hi. > Thanks for your feedback. I never invoked FSEdit. It would >seem the MSFS will do that on it

Hi. Thank you, Ron. I will play some more and see if I can make some sense out of the .air/.cfg files combos. While I understand flight dynamics, in real life, I seem to have problem correlating to the terms/statements in the .air and .cfg files. Just when I think I got something figured out, enter it, and when I go to test the model it does something totally different than I expected. Did you find a combo that will allow slow flight/horn on/level, for the C172 without loosing altitude? Thanks, again. TV

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Hi. > Thank you, Ron. I will play some more and see if I can make >some sense out of the .air/.cfg files combos. If you still have FS2K, it's much easier, since there isn't so much in aircraft.cfg. And, when imported to FS2K2 aircraft.cfg is pretty well filled out with the new data. LG often isn't right, and the Oswald_Efficiency is often too low. It should run 0.80 to 0.90. Further, a 'complete' AIR file and FS2K2 aircraft.cfg work fine in FS2K. The new lines are ignored and the AIR file data is used.> While I understand flight dynamics, in real life, I seem to >have problem correlating to the terms/statements in the .air >and .cfg files. Just when I think I got something figured >out, enter it, and when I go to test the model it does >something totally different than I expected. I'm still learning aerodynamics after years of working on MSFS dynamics. Some of the labels in aircraft.cfg make no sense to me or anyone else. ;) > Did you find a combo that will allow slow flight/horn >on/level, for the C172 without loosing altitude? Thanks, >again. TV The stall warning is set in REC 1101, near the top. I've reduced the AoA(fuselage) it comes on to 10 to 12 degrees. Email me (my address it linked from an icon at the top) and we can BS over this stuff. And, I can give you the Forum URL we use for MSFS/CFS AIR files. BTW, the steady flight dynamics can be calculated independently of the AIR file parameters. They are understood well enough for knowing stall speeds, climb and cruise performance if everthing applicable is accounted for. Actually, calculation would have to be done with an aerodynamics program to work out some things since there are too many interactions to do it manually. I have Spreadsheets from 'Sports Aviation' that give good performance values for SEL's I've also modeled for FS. Ron Ron