Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

DxDiag screwed FS up?

Guest JonP01

Martin,I actually am running FS2002 on both 98Se and ME. I bought two copies of standard edition and I use the ME version of the install for development work, weather downloading (my 98SE simming machine is not connected to internet) and general "stuffing around" with new downloads, etc.Both installs are working without any problems. Just looking at my Memturbo settings in WinME, I only have my vcache set at 8Mb minimum and 12Mb maximum. But this WinME machine only has 128MB so I wouldn't want to set it too much higher.One thing I did do in WinME was to disable some "bloatware" features that I just didn't want. When I built this ME machine in May last year, I wanted Win98, but that OS was obsolete, so I went for ME. I setup the ME install to be as much like Win98 as I could get it. I used a utility called System Restore Remover Pro (www.definition-software.com). Whilst it's title might suggest it just gets rid of the restore features, it also gets rid of other things as well. Some people have said using it causes them a lot of problems, but with me it worked without any problems at all. Overall, I am extremely happy with ME, and for me it is now a rock-solid and very reliable OS (but only once I had set it up the way I wanted). I do believe MS have acknowledged some sort of memory leak problems with WinME, but that is why I run Memturbo in the background so as to plug any of these potential leaks. Looking back in my notes, I also see I had trouble with the Winmgmt process that runs in the background of WinME. Some applications simply seemed to hang when this process was running. So I chnaged some registry settings to disable it (I wouldn't recommend this except on a single user machine). The side effect of disabling it is possible problems when using the WinME in-built help system and a few other problems as well.

Guest Martin

Thanks very much for the information. I don't think I should mess with anything I might regret later. I might try fiddling a little more with the vcache size though.I've actually had to use the restore features quite a few times, so I don't want to get rid of that.I'm also happy with ME, and I don't generally have any problems, except when I simply tax the system resources too much (which I have a tendency to do :-)), or when I've downloaded something unstable or incompatible for FS.BTW, is Memturbo shareware?Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Guest JonP01

Hi Martin,Yes, Memturbo is shareware (I got my copies for $20 US each). I still think the program is worth the money, though. Agreed, fiddling around in your system isn't probably a great idea. Even on my system, I only found out in the last two days that disabling ACPI in the BIOS and re-loading Windows got rid of all my other minor WinME problems, such as winmgmt, etc. So we never stop learning or experimenting. I guess you could spend endless days guessing at the problem or bite the bullet and completely uninstall FS2002, re-install it, and add your mods one by one until you can reproduce the problem.