Sign in to follow this  

Project AI doesn't do anything?

I feel exactly like Homer who, sitting with Marge in their living room, stares at the big idol Burns has given them and asks "But what does it DO?" and Marge says, "Whatever it does, it's doing it now."I have installed Project AI (and selected everything), and it appeared to install correctly, but I don't think it's doing anything -- with one small exception. I visited all the major airports I regularly fly out of (Denver, LAX, SFO) and all I see are a few planes on the ground that I think have always been there. Zero air traffic. Thinking it was a total loss I just went flying to my usual spots and lo and behold, when I landed at little Tahoe airport (somewhere a lot of you will be near soon :>) suddenly the normally deserted airport was full of parked planes and one was actually taking off!! First time I've ever seen that, so I *strongly* suspect it as PAI. I get excited and fly to Reno and... nada. Back to no planes anywhere (Cannon International is a pretty busy airport, as many of you will discover :>), other than the three or four that are always on the ground.Am I doing something wrong? Is PAI dependent on time of day or something? Maybe the airports I'm flying out of aren't listed? I'm running a mostly vanilla FS2K, with FSUIPC and FSMeteo (although I was *not* running FSMeteo to test this out), on a 2.4 GZ machine with 1 gig RAM, all sliders (including ATC) set to max (even third party scenery ones) and frame rate held to 21. I've tried various things (like clicking on the various ATC buttons and even turning down ATC to 90%) and nothing seems to make a difference.Help!

Good question. I've downloaded a bunch of stuff but have yet to install it. A decent "readme" file sure would have been nice, I guess a person still needs Traffic Tools, or Add a gate, or some other such file for this program to work? Boy, it sure would be nice for these guys to get together and create a "all in one" program, that would be a simmer's heaven!

come with Traffic Tools -- indeed, it supposedly invokes TT to compile stuff (then again, this is truly the blind leading the blind, as I can't see that it actually does anything yet).Yep -- it definitely needs a read me or further explanation, but it's early days yet. I guess I'm just anxious for the promise to be fulfilled.

I haven't had a problem. The only thing I downloaded was the .exe file. It downloaded the rest itself and installed perfectly.

Initially, I had the same problem - went to LAX and pretty much had the place to myself! I changed my AI traffic to 100% (from 50%) and witnessed no change. I thought since I was there I'd put in a quick circuit. During the 10mins or so it took to complete the flight, things changed dramatically. By the time I got to finals I was number 3 behind a United 747 and a 757, with traffic also queueing for take-off.I've no idea why there was this delay in the AI traffic making an appearance - it may be worthwhile trying again and waiting 5-10mins for the AI schedule to kick in.Let us know how it goes!Murphy

Thanks, Murphy. Indeed, I have noticed something does occur when I continue to fly around the area -- I'm now seeing some AI flying overhead (never used to see that before, even in LA). However, LAX is still ghost city after a 30 minute flight (a hair raising adventure in which I lost aileron control and had to land in Ontario with only *some* rudder -- it was very exciting as I was coming down over the tower and hangers (with no direct way to steer) and landed on the apron. Still, I made a very soft touchdown and survived :>)I'm not going to deinstall it, as I do think it does something, but it certainly doesn't make LAX as populated as you're seeing. I still continue to wonder if there's some setting I have missed.

Guest Tim13

"I feel exactly like Homer who, sitting with Marge in their living room, stares at the big idol Burns has given them and asks "But what does it DO?" and Marge says, "Whatever it does, it's doing it now.""Classic episode. The funny thing is that from time to time, the "idol head" shows up in episodes in the background.LOLTim13

Try Download Easy Ai add the textures run the Shuffler included and as if by magique Airlines Everywhere :)Do a search under "anniette" she is I belive a genius .

I'v installed tonight the whole project and i'v got now a quite bussy Schiphol ;-) a lot of Air Holland / KLM / Transavia / Dutchbirds The trick is to have enough parking spots otherwhise the AI planes will disappear.via AFCAD you can easy have multiple runways in use.for me on Schiphol ILS27/09 for landings and 01L/19R for departuresFurther after 10/15 mins after the first departure the AI aircrafts will come in for landing...:-) Traffic slider is set to 90 % check otherwise with AI traffic edit tool 1.0visual editing tool for your flightplans easy to use... :-)before editing make sure to have a backup of the traffic.bgl (the program makes also a backup, however this one will always be overwritten with last version)Succes :-)Other Airports edit with AFCAD all with multiple runways ... :)EHAM/EBBR/EDDF/EDDM/EDDL/LIRF/LEPA/LEIB/LEBL/LEVClink for user edits/updates of AFCAD airports: http://people.freenet.de/racko/index.htmawfEHAM

André

Glad to hear you survived that landing Mike ;)One other thing I thought of...You do know that there is a bug in one of the UA config files which prevents UA 737's from appearing?. There's a fix on the PAI forums, involving a quick edit to the aircraft.cfg file, if I remember correctly.I know it would only explain missing 737's but it may help.I seem to be spending more time watching AI traffic than I am flying!A great piece of work by the PAI guys.

Yes, I do remember that thread, and if I understand what you're saying you're telling me that the program she came up with will allow me to add AI to airports, etc.But I thought Project AI was supposed to do all this -- IOW, I shouldn't *have* to do anything more than run it. And apparently it does indeed work that way for some people. Just not for me :<(

I thought I should be fair and point out to someone reading this thread that last night I do think Project AI was doing something.I was flying around the Bay Area at twilight and there were suddenly a whole lot of AI flying in the air around me. Now, I don't know if this was because it was dark (and I could see their lights) or if, like moths, they just seemed to come out at night, but I was *very* aware of how busy the airports in that area are, and I had never had that experience before.Indeed, even on my fairly powerful (2.4gz, 1gig RAM) machine things were now even affecting the frame rates. It wasn't terrible, but the silky smooth rates I've always had now were a *little* jerky (then again, I also always run Topo USA on my other monitor which tracks in real time my position on a map using the excellent GPSOut utility -- I suspect if I disabled this I'd get back to smoothness with all that AI).Anyway, it's very cool to see this stuff -- I only hope I can see it at other times some day.