Sign in to follow this  
Guest mmcevilley

ATIS Altimeter discrepancy

Guest mmcevilley

This may have been reported but I did not see it in a search ...Using RC 3.1 2205 with ActiveSky Release 1.91, I recently noticed that during approach only, the altimeter reported by the RC controller correctly matches the FS-maintained altimeter, but both are different than the ATIS reported altimeter.For example, yesterday, while approaching KIAD I was told to descend to 10000, altimeter 3015. This was confirmed by pressing 'B' on the keypad. When my f/o got the ATIS info, the altimeter was reported at 3005. So, I dialed in 3005, and noticed that my level of at 10000 was too low. So, checked with approach - 3015. I pressed 'B' and and the altimeter setting went back to 3015.Same thing happened on approach into KORD and MMMX.Anyone notice this ...?-michael

activesky told rc that the arrival airports pressure was 3005. your plane was still in an area of pressure of 3015 which is what the controller told you it was.don't change your altimeter 60 miles out, based on the arrival atis pressure. listen to the controller, he will tell you of any pressure changesjd

Guest mmcevilley

>activesky told rc that the arrival airports pressure was>3005. your plane was still in an area of pressure of 3015>which is what the controller told you it was.Is it not the case that within 60 miles the destination lock goes into effect such that the weather conditions are constant so that accurate arrival weather and vectoring is provided? That would include the altimeter setting.>don't change your altimeter 60 miles out, based on the arrival>atis pressure. listen to the controller, he will tell you of>any pressure changes>>jdNone of the subsequent controllers (appr, tower) reported a new altimeter of 3005.{edit: will check this more closely this evening to verify that I did not miss a subsequent reported change in the altimeter}-michael

i believe, that you can be in an area of 3015, with the arrival atis reporting 3005. at 60 miles, activesky and fsmeteo both populate special fsuipc offsets with the arrival weather information, which is what the arrival atis readsin fs2004, there is a new weather interface, which i can query the arrival airport weather, regardless of what external weather program you are running (even if you aren't running one), and get the arrival weather if you are telling activesky to destination/force, you might want to uncheck it.let me know if you don't get a new pressure reading when transitioning into approach airspacejd

Guest mmcevilley

>activesky and>fsmeteo both populate special fsuipc offsets with the arrival>weather information, which is what the arrival atis reads Ok - that makes sense.>if you are telling activesky to destination/force, you might>want to uncheck it.OK - will do.>let me know if you don't get a new pressure reading when>transitioning into approach airspaceShould know something in 1+30. ;-)Thanks for the great support - as usual!-michael

Guest mmcevilley

I ran into a new problem (not RC related) and I will have to test it again. I unchecked the force weather at destination and ATIS reported the winds aloft rather than surface winds (The surface winds were 140 at 9 yet ATIS gave me 240 at 30. The altimeter setting reported by ATIS was the same as that reported by ATC during the descent below FL180. Approach did give me the altimeter but it was unchanged. So - I'll check the Activesky forum - I saw something about winds aloft getting reported as surface winds but do not recall the details of the problem.Yesterday, when I did force the destination weather (set to 50 miles) I did get surface winds properly reported by ATIS.-michael