Sign in to follow this  
Mike S KPDX

a few questions...

running v3, FS9, latest FUIPC registered, FSMeteo and PMDG 7371. Excessive altimeter setting calls; I know that RC probably reports what it is given (and by what I dont know), but I often get 5-6 altimeter setting reports in a span of under a minute.Question; how are other users dealing with this, if at all?2. RC runway selection; I brought this up in the past but bear with me here, I think that RC selects the first ILS runway (depart and arrive) that it finds. Then searches for wind direction. However, I have run 14 test flights with RC (with and without FSMeteo) and have not had a single case where the actual fs9 departure and RC runways matched. I am not talking the R L and C thing, I mean a 180 degrees different. Yes, I know that I can RC select it and I do. But it is bulky as one has listen to the fs9 atis, then request taxi, and then again change runways.Question; Do others have similar problems? Why does this occur?Thanks, I suspect I will be posting a lot as I try, once and for all for a concerted effort to basically understand the interplay between FSMeteo, FSUIPC, RC3 and FS9 and their settings. There has really never been a comprehensive document clarifying who, what, when, and how what controls what when these items are running. Been trying to figure it out for several years now - the time has come.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

1) altimeter calls are given whenever the pressure changes more than .02 millibars (i think :-) ) if fsmeteo is updating the pressure, or fsuipc is smoothing the pressure, you will get altimeter calls. are all the pressures different?if they are all the same, that would be a problemalso check to see what the tranisition level is set for, on the controller's form. if you want the transition altititude to be 18000, you need to put 180 in the transition level field. departure and arrival. 6000 would be 602) rc runway selection is easy. ils means nothing for departure. i simply look at the runways that are of sufficient length depending on your type aircraft. then which ever runway is most into the wind, that is the one chosen. if the wind is calm or variable, then the most northerly runway is chosenfor arrival, i take the runways that are sufficient length, and look for the best ils equipped runway into the wind. if there is only one ils runway, and it is long enough, then that will be the one chosen. if there are two runways with ils, then the best runway (of those two) into the wind is chosen. same for more ils runways. if there is no ils runways, then the best runway into the wind is chosen.you don't say what version of fsmeteo you are using. the latest and greatest uses the new weather interface feature of fsuipc, so i know what the wind is doing at the arrival airport, while i'm still 60 miles away. of course it can change by the time you contact approach.jd

>1) altimeter calls are given whenever the pressure changes>more than .02 millibars (i think :-) ) if fsmeteo is updating>the pressure, or fsuipc is smoothing the pressure, you will>get altimeter calls. are all the pressures different?>>if they are all the same, that would be a problem>All are different, I assume that both FSMeteo is updating AND fsuipc is smoothing (both settings are defaulted on I believe) - thus the high quantity of calls. Question is, what are other users doing? What seems to work best?>also check to see what the tranisition level is set for, on>the controller's form. if you want the transition altititude>to be 18000, you need to put 180 in the transition level>field. departure and arrival. 6000 would be 60>??? not sure why this would matter except that one would receive an inordinate number of call for a LONGER time with a lower transition level? Again, eitherway set at defualt 180 - still looking for what other users are doing (possibly just living with it?)>2) rc runway selection is easy. ils means nothing for>departure. i simply look at the runways that are of sufficient>length depending on your type aircraft. then which ever runway>is most into the wind, that is the one chosen. if the wind is>calm or variable, then the most northerly runway is chosen>Please define your understanding of 'calm and variable'. It would be interesting to know how FS9 decides the runway under these same conditions? Do you happen to know?>for arrival, i take the runways that are sufficient length,>and look for the best ils equipped runway into the wind. if>there is only one ils runway, and it is long enough, then that>will be the one chosen. if there are two runways with ils,>then the best runway (of those two) into the wind is chosen.>same for more ils runways. if there is no ils runways, then>the best runway into the wind is chosen.>If I understand correctly - in descending order; length, ILS, wind.>you don't say what version of fsmeteo you are using. the>latest and greatest uses the new weather interface feature of>fsuipc, so i know what the wind is doing at the arrival>airport, while i'm still 60 miles away. of course it can>change by the time you contact approach.>I am using the latest for all 4 products listed (FS9, FSMeteo, FSUIPC, and RCv3). Therefore, am I correct in assuming that the variations that I am seeing in both arrival and departure runways indicates that there are issues with my setup? For example; My flight last night in KPDX - FS9 landing 28R (wind 260@6 per FS9 atis) with RC insructing to land 10L. If all is working properly this should not happen?

i have fsuipc smoothing pressure 1mb every 5 seconds. i don't see any fsmeteo settings for pressure transitionsi only mentioned the 18000 entered as 180, and 6000 entered as 60, because this is a common mistake. you should never get altitude calls above 180, or 60, etc.calm is defined as winds less than 4 kts. as far as arrival runway selection, only runways long enough are considered for the following. if there is only 1 ils runway, it is chosen. if there are multiple ils runways, the best ils runway into the wind is chosen. if there is no ils runway, the best runway into the wind is chosendo you remember what fsmeteo was reporting for kpdx? i would think that 28L/R would be the best. even if the winds were calm.you didn't say what versions you were running. my fsmeteo is 6.34, fsuipc 3.1.1 and rc v3.1 build 2205 (i think that is the last public build i released)jd

I will make sure that my FSUIPC setting matches yours. Are you getting multiple calls for altimeter? Again, I in no way blame any of the software, I am more interested in if mine is working correctly and if so, how folks are using it to its best advantage.FSUIPC, Version 3.11FS_Meteo 6, 3, 0, 0rc3 3.10.2205I dont recall the fsmeteo data but I am continuing my analysis. As such I will be making exact notes and utilizing the logging options available. I realize the more info I can offer the better the support. My questions are first broadstroke to determine if I even have a problem. At this point, I hate to say, I am still not sure.1. Do you (or others) get multiple, rapid alt settings info (i.e. more than 4 in about 60 seconds?2. Do the runway arrival conditions stated above indicate to you that my setup is not working or is not optimized?BTW, your support as always is excellent. I suspect I may be posting here a bit much, but I am using RC3, enjoying it, and glad I purchased it. I suspect that RC is working correctly but that the info it is receiving is faulty. No rush, just clearing a few things up.

re: 2) type of aircraft. I assume you mean the selection in the Options dialog of RC before activation, i.e. Heavy, Jet, etc.

1) no. is each altimeter call a different pressure?2) something is going on. but i don't know what. it would take me about 20 seconds to tell you what is going on, if you save me a dat, prior to contact approach, going into kpdx. please use a ms plane/panel, and send me the .pln, .rc3 files. also send the .flt and .wx and .dat files (they will have the same name). i can load it up here, and tell exactly why the wrong runway is being picked.jd

JD, wanted to get back to you on this, did not want to leave it hanging for other readers on this forum.After many flights and emails to/from FSUIPC and the FSMeteo developers I have a few more insights.1. Different runways;It appears that because I run FS9 in the background while I 'flight plan' for quite awhile (required to run because of the flight planning stuff I do) - the wx is what the fs wx is. FS ATC is acting accordingly, then when I infuse (start) FSMeteo it will immediately send current and correct wx to fs9. However, fs9 is at that same time controlling several AI planes both in departure and arrival. At some point (estimated to 22-24 miles from the aiport lat long) AND airplanes cleared for taxi via ground - MUST complete these instructions. This is why when I started FSMeteo and quickly checked RC3 ATIS it may or may not match FS9 ATIS for arrival runways. Winds will match but FS9 will/can continue to process arrival and departure in conflict with winds for a short while (depending on traffic density). As suggested by Marc (FSM) is to let the AI run for about 7-12 minutes or use SIM RATE for a few seconds. It works well and I will be adjusting the sequence of my planning to better deal with this. RC3 was working correctly (as suspected), just an FS9 time lag issue.2. Rapid altimeter (different) calls;Marc has responded to this as well as and has provided me some info to deal with this and rapid wind directional shifts.

1) funny you should mention that. pete and several rc beta testers have identified the problem you detailed in your post.we (the beta testers, pete, and i) are testing a new fsuipc, which has a new feature which should help this situation.what we have come up with, is that if you set ai to 0%, and save it as the default. when fs9 starts up, you can then load fsmeteo, which will start the wx in fs9 to match fs meteo. then you can set your ai to 60% (or whatever) and the ai will then start up, and use the weather it finds (which was provided by fsmeteo).what pete has done, is substitute a keystroke, for the menu-ing you have to do, to set the ai.jd