Sign in to follow this  
Guest mmcevilley

Revisit the altimeter setting issue

Guest mmcevilley

JD,I finally had a chance to work through the problem I was experiencing ...Just now inbound to KATL (CRG.SINCA3) I checked weather when within 50 miles (Activesky is locking weather at 60 miles). ATIS reported the altimeter as 3014. The *current* altimeter (per center) was 2978. I kept 2978 set (as I should ;-)).Center hands me off to approach - no update on the altimeter. Approach hands me off to tower - no altimeter. Tower clears me to land - no altimeter. I land at KATL and the altimeter reads ~680 (more like Chicago than Atlanta). Just as tower tells me to contact ground - I get the field altimeter setting - 3014!The same thing happened earlier when landing at TJSJ.I'm running FS2k2, ActiveSky 1.91, RC 3.1 build 2205.-michael

what number do you have in the arrival transition level field on the controller's form?as soon as center descended you below the transition level, he will give you the current pressure.but i'll check again if approach will give you the pressure if it is different that what center gave youjd

Guest mmcevilley

>what number do you have in the arrival transition level field>on the controller's form?It should be 180 (but I see where you are going with the question). I'll check it when I get home tonight.>as soon as center descended you below the transition level, he>will give you the current pressure.Yes, that does occur. I get it when told to descend at PD from FL240 to some altitude below FL180 - otherwise I get it when the subesequent descent instruction takes me below FL180.>but i'll check again if approach will give you the pressure if>it is different that what center gave youthanks.

Guest mmcevilley

JD - some updates ...>>what number do you have in the arrival transition level>field>>on the controller's form?Confirmed - 180.>>as soon as center descended you below the transition level,>he>>will give you the current pressure.>Confirmed - yes I get the current pressure when instructed to descend below 18000.>>but i'll check again if approach will give you the pressure>if>>it is different that what center gave youLast night - KATL-KMIA: During my descent to 10000 center reported a pressure of 3020. Within 50 miles of KMIA ATIS reported 3015. I landed at KMIA with pressure set to 3020. I receieved no pressure updates from approach or tower. During taxi-in, I pressed 'B' and the altimeter updated to 3015.Thanx.-michael