Sign in to follow this  
Guest MSMITH6

PMDG and Radar Contact

Guest MSMITH6

JD-Finally got RC going and let me tell you, it was great! I was able to do 2 flights last night. The first was with the DC-9 from Flight 1 Software. Everything worked perfectly. Then I decided to do one with the PMDG 737. That's where problems developed. I should have done this post last night while at home and all was fresh in my mind, but I'll do my best to describe it and maybe you have some ideas to check when I get home.I had FS2004 running and created a flight from KIAH to KAUS. Started up RC and loaded the plan. Went back into FS and got weather, pre-flighted, etc. and started taxiing. Could not control speed (throttle) in jet. Thinking somehow calibration was lost, calibrated stick, and tried again. Program crashed with the usual MSoft error message. (Sorry I didn't get the details). Shut computer down, restarted, and tried again. Had another program crash. Tried again, and successfully made flight.Using latest build of everything (see my post "RC Won't Start) except haven't installed FSUIPC 3.125 over my 3.11 version.I did a search of the board for PMDG issues and found one from Adrian Pop where he was having crashes, but no one seemed to answer him. Maybe if he reads this he could pop in and tell me what was the end result of his issues. Bottom line:Are you aware of anything involving the PMDG and RC that I should look at? I REALLY appreciate all of your help!!Thanks-Mike Smith

i know bob johnson, one of the beta testers is using your plane and rc just fine. i don't know anything personally.are there any commandline options on the shortcut you are launching rc with? if so, remove the /high or whatever it isjd

Guest MSMITH6

JD-NO command line switches. I have also updated to FSUIPC 3.125 and still have some random crashes.Mike

Hi Mike,I have been using the PMDG737-700 from the start with Radar Contact with no problems causing a crash of FS9. Let me ask a couple of questions; First do you have all the System Updates for the PMDG737? Did you use the remove tool when you installed SU1-1?Have you installed the nav data, is so where did you place it. Also did you install the SID/STARS from the PMDG web site, these can cause some system crashes. Have you tried to fly the PMDG737 without RC?If all this fails, then un-install the 737 and re-install. On the surface I would say there should be very little interaction between them. Rember that Radar Contact's Otto (co-pilot function) will nor work with the advanced auto-pilot on the PMDG737.If you are still having problems, send me a note at bobbyjoh@comcast.net.CheersBob Johnson

Guest MSMITH6

Bob-I have been using PMDG 737 for a long time now with no problems. Yes, it is fully updated and I have been using navdata and FMC with no problems. NO crashes whatsoever when NOT using R Contact. ONLY with R Contact.I do not use OTTO regardless of aircraft I am flying, but I am aware that it doesn't work with PMDG.Thanks-Mike Smith

Guest MSMITH6

JD-I figure you're enjoying your holiday! Wanted to let you know I am still having mega crashing problems with PMDG and RC3. What details do I need to get to you to have you help?Thanks-Mike Smith

Hi Mike,If I understand what you just wrote, when flying the PMDG737 by itself you have no kind of problems. As soon as you attempt a flight with the PMDG737 AND Radar Contact, you get a problem, is that correct?What version/build number of RC are using? You will find that number on the flash screen when RC first loads. What I am trying to do Mike is isolate anything thats different on your system than mine. Even thought we are doing beta work on the next version of RC, you should have everything I have.Since you asked JD for data, let me ask that you write or send us a list of all the files you have in your RC folder and the dates of those files.JD is on vacation this Thanksgiving weekend, but he is doing some RC work. JD may ask you Mike for additional stuff when he is back on-line. As you can guess, there is some file in your configuration of switch that is conflict, now the question is, which one. There is no general problem since one other of our beta testers is also flying the plane and several of my simming buddies here in Denver are also flying it. So just bare with us and we will find the problem (I hope) :-)Bob

Guest MSMITH6

Bob-Please see my post under "RC Won't Start". I do have FSUIPC 3.125 installed now. I'm attempting to attach a text file listing the files in my directory. I've also sent a route which has never worked with RC3. It works fine using PMDG without RC3.Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 attempts to get a flight to work. Have no problems with Iron Knuckles DC-9 add-on.Thanks-Mike Smith

do you have any other planes you can try? sounds like there is something in the pmdg that doesn't play well with rc. i'm a logical person, and i can see where "if pmdg works by itself and doesn't work wirh rc, it must be rc that is the problem" might be a true statement. but if rc works with every other plane, then it must be the combination of pmdg and rc. i don't have either plane, so i'm afraid i can't be of much help. bob johnson is a pretty sharp guy, i'm sure he can figure out why your pmdg doesn't work. all we have to do is get your's working like his.jd

Guest MSMITH6

JD-It crashed while using the Iron Knuckles DC-9 last night as well. What details do you need to see? If there are particular files you need as well, please tell me if there is a technique to get them.Thanks-Mike Smith

what video card, what driverwhat sound card, what driverwhat oswhat was the last thing rc was doing? switching frequencies? heading? altitudes?what was the last thing you clicked or typed?what does th crash say, what dll?jd

Mike,I also have the PMDG737 but now that I have Project Magenta I don't use the PMDG panel. However, when I did I was aware that it consumes an enormous amount of memory. How much RAM does your system have? What size is your page file (XP) / swap file (Win9x)?I see you've also had system crashes with the DC-9. Is this another system-hungry aircraft/panel? If so it could be a pointer to the problem. Use Task Manager to monitor the amount of free memory whilst you're running RC/FS2004. It could be that your system is running out of available memory.Please post details of your system.Regards,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Mike, in addition to the points that Ray just pointed out about memory. JD sent me a very good point for you to try. When you have both the PMDG and Rc running TOGETHER in the air, go into RC menu and press the save flight button. That will save 3 files. In the Radar ContactSave folder you will find a file called XXXX.dat, The XXXX is the name you just used to save the flight. Copy that file to a temp folder.Second, go to your My Documents folder and find the FS9 folder. In that folder are two files that we will need, one is called XXXX.rc3 and XXXX.wx again both files will have the name of the saved flight. Move these files to the same temp folder and then zip the 3 files. Send me the zip file at bobbyjoh@comcast.net.What I will do, is recreate YOUR flight on my system and see if I get the same crash that you do. Don't send the file to JD, since he is not flying the PMDG737.Ray's point is also very good if you are running low on memory.Look forward to hearing from you.Bob