Sign in to follow this  
lotus

star approach with rcv3.1

pardon, but I have not understood again, how can I fly a STAR approach with rcv3.1, because if I load a flightplan with a STAR approach, rcv3.1 does not follow it but give me other vectors to land......bye

Guest Doug Thompson

Lotus,RC is handling this realistically for 99% (if not 100%) of the world's airports. At the TCP, the Apch controller will assign headings/altitudes for sequencing to final. Absolutely necessary. Picture four STARs for a given airport, all approaching from different quadrents. At some point within Apch airspace, they all converge to a common fix. Believe me, the "Big Sky" theory doesn't work.However, RC does gives you the option to fly the STAR within Apch airspace. When switched to Apch, use the IAP function and choose "...the full rwy XXX approach...". You'll be cleared as such and receive no vectors. Fly the STAR. RC will not critique the checkpoints, and it'll be your responsibility to transition from the last point on the STAR to final.

If you include the STAR waypoints in your flight plan, RC will follow them up to a point where it then becomes necessary to vector you appropriately for traffic. STARS can extend several long legs from the destination beyond the TCP RC approach starts vectoring you away from the planned waypoints.The flight planning programs often include STAR patterns in their database and you can choose to add a STAR appropriately into your plan.Perhaps in version 4.x you will be able to modify your filed plan in flight and RC will update accordingly recognizing the new waypoints.For large aircraft, as I've read, this is called "briefing the FMC", which means adding or changing the entered STAR when ATC advises you of the destination runway and perhaps a STAR to choose where STARS are runway specific.Most of the STARS I've seen acommodate multiple runways and are chosen as to arrival direction from which outlying quadrant you are enroute from. The text description may specify some crossing restrictions but usually ATC may advise you during final vectoring.For KMSP I included STAR waypoints as described and RC 3.1 only broke away in the relatively immediate area to sequence me for the active runway. Judging from real arrival monitoring I've experienced, it seemed quite real.