Sign in to follow this  
Guest crabster

Another close call, who would've been at fault?

Guest crabster

Just flew from Kpit to Kacy in Olys great dash-8. That was neat taking off in the snow and finally passing the front just outside of Phila into clear skies (gotta love wxRE). Anyways....I was given vectors to rwy 13(ILS). At about the 5 mile mark I'm told to contact tower, which I promptly do. Tower clears me to land rwy 13 and gives me winds (330) he says I'm #1. Now I'm thinking if winds are 330 how come I'm not coming in on rwy 31? I contnue on.I shortly notice a lear jet in the air at the end of 13(31). From where I'm at it looks like he had just departed 13. At about 75agl I still see the lear, but it looks like he's getting closer, I then spy a Spirit MD holding short of 31. Now I am about 10 feet from touchdown. The controller all of a sudden tells me to go-around and chastises the lear! As he tells me this I touchdown. I suddendly realise that the lear was on finals for 31! Just as I'm about to go to full power, the lear climbs so I slow and get the hell of the rwy. The taxi to the terminal is uneventful :)That was interesting to say the least!! If this was real world and an accident would have occured, who would have been the bad guy? me? the lear? the tower? or is there enough pie to pass around?Also first time this happened, so is this an isolated incident, a know bug, has this happened to other people?Thanks!Andy

Guest Scott Campbell

Unfortunately, RC picks the ILS runway over the wind direction.On FS's Tower, I would bet the Lear got the GA because of the MD. You got the GA because of the Lear, but would have also been given a GA fro the MD.Right now, RCv31 doesn't communicate with FSATC or the AI. V4 still can't, but should have more limited control over the AI.The fact is you were on one Tower controller, and they were on another. This wouldn't happen in the real world (not for one runway, anyway). So the answer is the Tower controllers weren't talking to each other. So Bill (FSDO) would blame Bill (MS). The Lear and you were given the correct call. Approach should have given you 31 to begin with. V4 will use FS's runway.But again this is all apocryphal, since one guy would have been controlling all of you. If it were one guy and this happened, he'd be looking for a new job right now. As it is, no one's at fault except MS. Bill because RC and FSATC can't talk with each other.

Guest crabster

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I kinda figured thats what happened or that maybe it was a bug. I'm not upset by any means, I think it actually added some drama to the flight :) sure did get the adrenaline flowing!If and when M$ ever releases the appropriate sdk, will the interaction between RC and FS improve consideribly(sp) i.e control over ai?

General opinion seems to be there will never be an SDK for this but, yes, we hope that RC4 will include some control over the ai ;-)All the best,John

Hi, Grumpy John (no offense) :Due to advances in FSUIPC, JD has posted here in the forums for version 4:1. He expects to have major AI control - enroute avoidance vectors and ground control of hold short aircraft.2. He requested and Pete Dowson responded with an AI state history for AI operating within 80 nm of the destination airport. This last should help avoid the tower problem with conflicting active runways/landing direction.At least if I interpret his winking smiley he responeded with when I brought up these new FSUIPC features in seperate threads.