Sign in to follow this  
Guest lawyerpilot

Is there any way of putting and ADF into the 421C Golde

Here in Australia NDBs are still very common, and I'd love to do a few NDB approaches in this great bird.Any easy way of retrofitting and ADF or RMI?Or is it there and I'm just overlooking it?

Hi -If you use the prog. "Cfgedit" you can modify any panel.The 421 panel has a handy blank space you could fit an ADF guage on (just pick one from your other Gauges). You'ld also need to insert an ADF reciever somewhere.Schofi

Alternately, you can select the NDB on the GPS with the Direct-to functionand use the track indication as the "ADF needle".. It works surprisingly well! ..and has the side benefit of showing you the distance to the NDB on the display..

Bert

I didn't know you could do that! (:-]Thanks, Bert. (Memo to self - must read the manual)Schofi

Guest lawyerpilot

I am learning very quickly that the ADF approach, is not only necessary for the instrument checkride, which I anticipate in the next two months or so, but it is also the hardest! Paricularly in a twin with engine out and wind. Trying adjust/correct for bearings (as there are not radials like VOR obviously) is tough!! The 421 would be the perfect bird to train in b/c it is stable and you can make little inputs (which are needed in ADF approached and on final with localizer and ILS approaches) without the thing going crazy. After flying the 421, even the RealAir 182 seems a little jumpy. But, that is not due to a fault in the perfect flight model, it is just a lighter airplane.ChristopherP4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedals19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPFAA Summer Legal ClerkPrivate Pilot-95 hoursAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."