Sign in to follow this  
Guest crabster

Uncontrolled airports

Guest crabster

I like to fly out of my home airport of KWWD. It is an uncontrolled airport that uses 122.7 unicom. So if I file an IFR plan, I contact clearance delivery and then I should get on 122.7 until after takeoff when I would contact departure, correct? As it is right now, Im talking to clearance, ground, tower, then departure which doesn't seem very realistic. Will version 4 improve on this?Also is it possible to incorporate an FSS into RC? Thanks!Andy

flight simulator thinks there are ground/tower/clearance at kwwd, so rc does too.if you don't want clearance, ground, tower - go to the controller's page, and uncheck the boxes for clearance, ground, and towerthen you are at a uncontrolled airportjd

Guest crabster

A little confused here. If I do a flight with the default atc, all I have to do is contact clearance and then departure after takeoff. Same with arrivals, I "speak" to an approach controller (usually kacy) and then I have to switch to unicom. That's why I was surprised that RC had me contact ground and tower.If I uncheck the boxes then this would affect the controlled airports?Do you think this doable in version 4 or are you guys too far along to make that work? Is it even possible to make this work in RC?RC is great, one of the best addons I've bought. I'm just trying to suggest ideas for little enhancements :)Appreciate the input JD, Thanks!Andy

i'm confused now.if you uncheck the boxes, you are "controlling" how "uncontrolled" you want "that" airport to be.in this case, rc thinks your uncontrolled airport is controlled, and it has supplied the relevant frequencies, extracted from the .bgl files.same for arrival. if rc thinks it is controlled, it will check the boxes and supply the relevant frequencies. if rc is wrong, or you want to "uncontrol" a controlled airport, uncheck the boxes. it will only affect that flight and that airport.i think once we come to understand how/why the checkboxes work, you'll see there isn't anything really to do, for v4 in this regardjd

Guest crabster

Yeah I feel like an idiot now as I finally understand what you were saying. I loaded up a flight and looked at the controller options. No problems now. Thanks for your help jd.btw, I'm sure I'll still bug you with some other dumb questions :)Andy

I have originated an IFR flight from a non-controlled (KMCW as I recall) airport. When requesting clearance I was given the option to "dial FSS" who tranfered me to CD for filing. I was given the instructions for initial departure and instructed to contact departure within ten minutes (I think) at a certain altitude and location. This is latest build 3.1.If you have AFCAD2 for FS2K4 or AFCAD for FS2K2, check out the communications frequencies for the airport in question, or perhaps you can get it off the FS map. What jd is basicly saying, pardon me for putting in words here, is if FS data for that airport shows a tower frequency, then RC classifies it as a controlled airport with departure appropriate for the region.If the airport in question is known not to be controlled, using AFCAD or AFCAD2 per FS version, I believe you can remove the unwanted tower frequencies including ground for a permanent solution correcting the possibility of FS data errors, or if you can't, then use the controller panel options as jd describes. I do not know at this time if FS, hence RC, recognize hours of operation for towers that are not full time.Even if the errors can not be corrected by AFCAD or AFCAD2, the readouts will tell you what data FS has.Added: I checked the FS9 KWWD with AFCAD2. There is no tower in that data. Clearance delivery does have a filing frequency out of Atlantic City. Unicom and ATF are the same frequencies. . . and AFCAD2 does allow you to add, modify, or delete frequencies.Did you download airport scenery that included an AFCAD(2) file?