Sign in to follow this  
ConstVoid

Too late to change RC 3.1?

I guess it's too late to change now, but perhaps since it's still in beta ;) Yesterday I was flying into KJFK, being vectored by Approach. I had FSMeteo running and I was getting some very strange altimeter calls - the pressure was ranging from around 29.95 to 30.35. I've no doubt that this was due to FS2004 and/or FSMeteo (possibly one of the nearby stations had out-of-date weather), but RC didn't handle it too well.Every time the pressure changed, RC first accused me of busting my altitude, then afterwards it gave me the "your assigned altitude is ..., altimeter ..." message. I would have thought RC should have advised of the altimeter change first, giving a chance to avoid the "you've busted your altitude again" calls. After all it's ATC's responsibility to give you the new altimeter settings, isn't it?Perhaps something you could look into for RC4?Ian

Ian Box

No - that option is not available when using FSMeteo. I don't think it would do anything here anyway, as I was within the FSMeteo destination lock distance which I've set to 42 miles. Within this distance FSMeteo only sends the destination airport data to FSUIPC, not other airport data. KJFK's pressure was constant at 30.35 throughout this time.What I think was happening was that while I was further away than 42 miles FSMeteo had set the weather for various airports around KJFK, and the effect I was seeing was due to FS2004 interpolating the weather between KJFK and these other airports.If I understand previous comments made by Pete Dowson, FSUIPC can only affect the weather data as it is sent from external programs (like FSMeteo), not the way FS2004 interprets/interpolates that weather once it has it.To be honest it's not a major problem (I tend not to listen to the critique these days), but it would be nice for RC to tell me about the pressure changes before I get busted :)Ian

Ian Box

it's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't. i tell you the new pressure every 10 miles. if i do it every time it changes, people complain that i am giving too many pressure updates. if i wait longer, i don't give enought.that is a pretty wild swing, which would affect your busting altitude, but in a normal day, i doubt you would ever see that within 10 miles.jd

I agree it doesn't happen too frequently. It's probably best to leave things asis, rather than make the altimeter calls more frequent.Ian

Ian Box