Sign in to follow this  
Guest tangofoxtrot

Shorter approaches

Guest tangofoxtrot

I always seem to get vectored to about a 21/22 mile final but thats not realistic for here in the UK. In my real world flying its usually more like 8/10 nm. Can this be changed?

ya...as you know JD, been looking for this for yearswhould not be user selectable would it? How about user selectable for aircraft type (prop, turbo, jet)?

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

it is not user selectable, and regardless of type aircraft, i think, and the beta testers agree, the turn to base is right onjd

I am not sure about the airliner types, but I am quite sure about small civil aviation in the U.S. You will not see a downwind for to an ILS in the Western Region that is beyond about the 10 mile mark. Controllers will place you about 1-2 miles outside the marker and if no marker your will be out, like I said, about 10 miles max (usually 6 or so). Yes, I do get 30 deg intercepts (more often 45's) but I am only a mile or two abeam.Flying into the larger C class and B class airports, I will NOT mix with the airlines. They will sneak you in very very close, again, they have to get you on the back side of the OM, and thats it. 20 miles from the airport in civil GA at 110knots into Bravo space?? Never happened to me.I am really curious if Doug does, or sees this type of thing? I dont know JD , maybe its just where I fly, mountains, traffic density or somthing.Anyone here have realife experience in like SOCAL? I love RC, always have dont get me wrong. I support whatever you decide to do and will purchase anything you put up. But I am thinking about my trip to Texas this summer in a C210 to visit - is this the way things are east of Denver and would love it if Doug could put in a word.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

next time i fly, (sigh), i will see what the direct distance to the airport when i'm turned base. unless one of the beta testers want to measure it.remember, we measure direct to the airport, we don't actually measure the downwind length. you can figure the trig, if you are bravejd

Guest Ian McLaren

If you are using Version 3 you could try using the "Short Approach" option.This should appear on the menu after you have contacted Approach and are on downwind.This is mentioned on page 93 of the manual :-) Ian

Guest tangofoxtrot

thnks.I will give it a shot.