Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Listening to ATIS 3 times crashes FS9

Guest Ken_Salter

Subject says it all:If I let ATIS play 3 times in a row, after the third time FS9 crashes out.Anyone else seen this?Thanks,

i just let atis play 4 times, with nary a crash.are you pressing 1, 3 times? you just letting it repeat 3 times?can't duplicate here, anyone else?jd

Guest Ken_Salter

Nope, I wasn't pressing anything. Just let it repeat.I was able to do this twice on my box.

Hello guys. I have the same problem consistently with any long period continuous audio such as Active Sky's Flightwatch radio. Now if one searches the archives of Microsoft's KB, one can find a reference for this regarding FS98, Microsoft Money, and certain other "games". Other than turning off audio they did not offer a solution.I think the module listed with the details of the trouble report details is winmm.dll or something like that. It happens to me with FS2002 and FS9 under W98SE. If you get further in the details the program register is giving a null pointer 0:0 reading, a very big no-no.I'm using DX9.0b and sound acceleration settings do not have any effect. It does take longer to occur under FS9 but still happens. I'm running 766MB ram with about 500 MB going into FS9.I have a Hercules Digifire 7.1 and their tech support has not replied.I do not remember if FS9 ATIS looping causes the problem but any other audio app under FS does.In FS2K2 I can get weird noises just before the crash. Anyway, there appears to be a memory leak somewhere such as an audio buffer overflow. I wonder if FS itself uses a seperate audio interface then it offers the application writers.I just don't let audio loops go too long.It could also be the programming libraries. One thing that could be tried is to hide the ADV window after starting the ATIS loop to see if that may be causing a problem and if so notify Pete on his forum.BTW, jd, if you do go to Pete's forum, don't take the references to you and VB personally .

as far as the vb ref's go. lol. if i could go to bed one night a vb programmer and wake up a c programmer, that would be nice. and then i could convert the thousands of lines of vb code to vc code during my first 12 hours of being a vc programmer, and i'd be done.not going to happen.maybe i'll rewrite v6 or v7 in vc :-)jd

Pete suggested you try Delphi. Borland does have a RAD application called C++ Builder. A guy at work does lists and DB apps with it and a minimal of machine control. Don't know how it would work in this app.There was many, many DOS moons ago a Basic to C converter, but you'd probably spend more time debugging.Actually though, if you compile to seperate object files different sections under MS products, you could rewrite a section at a time and then link the object files which should be sharing common MFC libraries. I've never done but it is written . . .I think the thread on Pete's forums was in regard to Parking Gate location properties and taxi routes and you might enjoy reading it. By then you might be up to writing version 6 .