Sign in to follow this  
John_Tavendale

Paul ( video guy ) - i have poor GF4/Xp2000+ performanc

Guest PaulL01

>>>If you are carefull what and how you insatll as well as keep >>tabs on whats loading at start up and keeping things "clean" >>you will find no difference. >>>Really? I found a difference with mine, I got around 4000 >marks more with a fresh install. That is Bad John! But I see that all the time, programs like AOL just take over systems and I think any program that does that is just plain crap, I run Adobe Photoshop 6, Corel photoPaint10, MS-Office-2000, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 as well as host of 3D design and effects program plus tons of little custom tools, but not a one of em slow down my system after re-booting and running a D3D or OGL game or benchmark.I keep an up to date "Ghost" of my main windows partition so that just like in XP, I can roll my system back if any software tries to take over, I do keep a clean registry but this is easier and more fool proof than any un-installer routine. :) I can duplicate my benchmark scores at any time and often do it just to keep track of the system. But there sure is a lot of crap out there and it doesn't seem to matter how much you spend. Grrrrr!!!>As for the EPoX, I had it running for a few days with my >XP1700+ (Kind of running anyway.. needed to source some >longer IDE cables. I then got myself a AGOIA week 4 1600+ >(apparently they're an excellent overclocker) I installed my >new CPU, went to run my PC and it wouldn't post. Turns out >my GF4 was dead. I'm waiting on a replacement, won't be Mon >'til the earliest :( >>Then it'll be time to see if I can break the 11 or 12K mark >with 3D Mark 2001 :-hahYes, you should be able to top out somewhere around 17-1740 with those; they are the best deal anywhere!Until NV really fixes the GF4TI's AF for D3D I wont be getting one, and the closer we get to NV30 I may never. But I wouldn't mine one, and then we could compete! (3DM2001) :)Take Care and have Fun!Paul

Guest jabberthecat

... I need to fly alittle bit and get a better look at performance.I do think it is better than my P3-1gz/GF3 combination now, butthat there is room for improvement. I would like to learn about memory settings, and maybe overclock at sometime in the future. The nice thing about this rig is it was built( not by me ) from stratch w/components I picked out. It is light in the software side - be design. FS2002, surfing, email, and providinginternet to my old pc via network - that is all that is on it.Epox - not sure what that is ? is it related to the Via chipset? My budget mother Asus A7S333 is based on the Sis745 chipset - kind of old, but the board fit the bill at $80. I haven't overclocked my Chaintek GF4-4600 yet, probably will play with that.Have you ever had heard of the Sis AGP driver fix ? Someone on madonion suggested I could use that new drive due to AGP performance issues with the older ones?Anyway - gotta get everything loaded over from the old FS2002 install and start flying.Thanks again.Myles

Myles,EPoX is just another motherboard maker. Their current offering is the 8K3A which is based on the Via KT333 chipset. They're noted for their good overclocking ability.For the Sis drivers, check here: http://www.sis.com/support/driver/index.htm

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers