Sign in to follow this  
Jure

RC freezing on approach

Hi guys,I've been using RC for quite a while now and never had any problems with it. However, lately I've been experiencing strange lock-ups, mainly on final approach. RC simply stops responding and I have to kill it through Ctrl-Alt-Del/End TaskI run RC3.1 on a separate Win98 machine via WideFS. I have FS2002 installed there. My main computer is a WinXP with both, FS9 and FS2002 installed. I have all the latest files and registered FSUPIC & WideFS. A few months back I started using Showtext on my networked computer where RC runs and for a while all was well. Then, suddenly, RC would exhibit delays in ATC communication and usually everything stopped after a while. I had to kill RC (not responding). I thought it was ShowText, but alas, it was not. Happened with just AdvDisp as well, just yesterday it happened on final approach, twice in a row. I flew the new Eaglesoft Citation X if that is of any consequence...Any ideas? What version of FSUPIC should I have on my Win98 box where FS2002 and RC are installed - if any at all? Does RC recognizes the local /modules folder for the needed .dll's or does it go to FS9/Modules folders via WideFS? The latter would be logical, I guess. :) I only fly FS9 on my main computer, those two FS2002 installations are just sitting there.I didn't install any new or strange .dll's lately, just a few aircraft and a bit of a scenery. I'm really scratching my head over this one...Thanks for any help and thanks for RC3.1. I really love it even if I get screamed at if I ignore a go-around now and then. Those AI drivers can be a pest! :)Regards,Jurehttp://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

something has changed, or rc would still be working. you may not have installed strange dll's, but a plane might have, a panel might have. who knows.check the version numbers of fsuipc and advdisp, in flight simulator, so you know for sure what has been loadedtry a plain old ms plane and panel. does the problem go away?try running rc on the same machine as fs? let's eliminate the network and widefs as culprits.it's a mystery, we just have to ask the right questions, and decipher the cluesjd

JD,thanks for your reply! I went investigating and after trying a default aircraft, reinstalling RC and doing all sorts of things I found the reason for my trouble. It was the latest WideFS! After installing the previous version RC works flawlessly again. :)BTW, I noticed that the latest WideClient.exe is substantially smaller than the previous one. No one else had this sort of trouble? Regards,Jure D. :)

Guest Pilot Baz

Hello, I have the same problem that it is freezing on the appr.i have RC on the same computer as FS and i work with a a320.i don't know how to solve it. Most of the time it works but latly the problem is comming up verry often do you know how i can solve this problem???Regards Baz.

Hi Baz,I might have spoken a bit prematurely. :( After a couple of successful flights RC froze once more on the approach so I have to believe that WideFS is not to blame. I have re-installed RC and I am now reinstalling all additional voices as well. I'll do more testing later today and report back. You seem to have exactly the same symptoms as I do. It started innocently enough, but then RC began freezing quite regularly. It's pretty random, although lately it always happens on final approach, close to/at the point where I am handed over to the tower. I noticed something interesting yesterday. Whenever I press "Alt" in FS9, the menu comes up with a slight delay. I believe that is normal? Yesterday, however, I started a flight, AdvDisp was running as was RC via WideFS. And "Alt" brought up the menus in FS9 without that typical delay! Also, I was able to complete the flight with RC staying with me until the very end. I am not sure what to make of it...What I know so far:-it's not a particular aircraft's fault -it's not Wide FS -it's not Showtext-it usually happens on final approach-no "funny" .dll's in the /modules folderConfused,Jure

run rc on the fs machine for a couple of flights, and see what happens. no crashes, i don't think it is rc.are you using ipx or tcp/ip with your widefs?jd

JD,I'm running TCP/IP, WinXP - Win98 combination. I am beginning to believe myself that it isn't RC. Strange, though, I never had any problems running weather program, RC and a few other things via WideFS. Neither have I installed anything on my main computer, registry mechanic reports everything ok and so forth...Can I install RC on my main computer and use the same key, or do I need a new key?Thanks! :)Jure

Guest RickT

You will need a new key because it is a different hard drive. Just send your request to register@jdtllc.com.

Guest Rudo

Same thing here. RC freezes after refueling on approach (ALT to bring up the menu and using Fuel/Payload to refuel. I run out of fuel quite frequently despite using fuelplanners ;-). When I get back to fly the final approach RC is gone... Don't touch the ALT key. Maybe pause FS first? Don't know...Thanks,

Guest RickT

Rudi,It sounds like Adv Display is closing on you. When this problem happens again, click on the Modules menu item if FS and see if there is a checkmark next to Adv Display. If not, click on Adv Display and it should appear in the top left corner of your screen. You can then resize and move it to your liking.

Guest Rudo

Hi Rick,Sorry, I mean RC freezes. AdvDisplay is still there but pushing keys 1 to 5 don't give any result. I also use AS2004 and the wheatherupdates still appear in the AdvDisplay. After an update the display goes blank... No RC... Going back to the desktop, I select Radar Contact but windows reports that Radar Contact is not responding...Win2000, FS9, AS2004, RC 3.10...Thanks,

Rudi,that's exactly what's happening to me. AdvDisplay is still there but the keys won't work and RC won't pop up when clicked on.Don't touch the ALT key? I'll try that. Another thought... do you have FS pause when you switch between tasks, for example Alt-Tab to desktop? Mine is switched off, so FS is running at all times.Jure

Guest RickT

For you both. It sounds like Flight Simulator has lost focus. When this happens again click anywhere on your panel except over Adv Display and then try Radar Contact again.Besides your Flight Sim programs what do each of you have running in the background? Have you tried shutting down all programs except your Flight Sim programs?

rick's right. the best troubleshooting approach is to stop running everything except fs and rc. does the problem still happen? does it happen at every airport? then add one add-on at a time, to see wht starts the problem. then we'll deal with thatjd

Guest Rudo

>rick's right. the best troubleshooting approach is to stop>running everything except fs and rc. does the problem still>happen? does it happen at every airport? then add one add-on>at a time, to see wht starts the problem. then we'll deal with>that>>jdHi John,Seems like we've been promoted to testpilot ;-)I am running AS2004 (build 90), FS9, RC 3.1 and fly PSS A321.I just installed build 90 for AS2004. I have been dropping out off the sky frequently when the speed dropped to ZERO kts. That did not happen on my last flight (with build 90).I will try some approaches tomorrow...Thanks,