Sign in to follow this  
Jure

RC freezing on approach

Guest RickT

I'm interested in what other programs are running in the background not your flight sim programs (although it will help). I'd like you to fly with only FS9, a default MS plane and RC to start. See if the problem happens. Next add AS2004 using the same plane and fly the same flight plan. Finally add your PSS A321.Yes you are a test pilot in a sense. JD or myself can't look over your shoulder when you fly so we have to rely on your verbal skills to describe the problem. As JD said this is the best debug method we have found is solve problems. We will do our best to figure out your problem.

Guest Rudo

Hi Rick,I don't mind being a testpilot and I didn't mean to offend you in any way. The support you guys give is EXCELENT so... Lets fly ;-)Thanks,BTW: does this forum have a sence of humor?

Hi Rick and JD,indeed, Rudi is right, the support you guys provide is truly second to none! :)Back to the programme... I just completed two flights where I previously had problems (RC freezing on approach). LJLJ-LJPZ in Citation X (Eaglesoft, deluxe model which is hard on the resources); real weather (FS's own); RealityXP weather radar onboard; using two monitors on Radeon 9600XT (dragged a few secondary panels to the secondary monitor); flew almost exclusively in VC.RC 3.1 running via WideFS on a Win98 machine; Showtext; AdvDisplay always hidden & lockedNothing running in the background, unnecessary services shut down, just virtual CD (the 4th FS CD there), Asus heatprobe and Saitek stick config. This is my usual setup with which I had numerous succesful RC controlled flights in the past. And it was succesful today as well. No hangups, nothing. Perfect flights. I even wasn't shouted at after landing! :)So what gives? What was different today? Well, I didn't switch views all that much and I never accessed the menus during the last stage of the flight. Often I would access FS menu to drop AI levels to 50% or less on final approach. I'll test the "Alt key" theory now that I had a couple of succesful flights and can eliminate XP radar and the Citation as offenders. Rick, you mentioned that FS loses focus? I read over at PMDG forums that in certain circumstances the Ctrl key can get "stuck" and things get pretty unresponsive. I'll refrain from installing RC on my main machine for now. If you have any ideas to try them out, I'd be happy to do so.And thank you again for your help! It is appreciated. :)Regards,JureP.S.:Rudi, if you're reading this, should we compare notes? For starters, I have no addons where I test fly and had RC froze before, just Gaia mesh and LC which I've had forever. Yes, LC is correctly placed, no Texture folder there.

Guest RickT

Jure,Your setup sounds a lot like mine. The only difference is I'm running my setup on 2 WinXP machines. I run RC on my laptop useing WideFS. I just installed it a couple of days ago so I'm still tweaking my Wideclient and Wideserver ini files. I don't use add-on weather, mesh scenery files or any fancy payware aircraft. The only thing extra I have running is Ultimate Traffic.I just thought of another possibility. I've had this happen on my setup. Yesterday, what were you running just prior to flying your problem flights? Every once in a while a program will not properly release memory it was using so you may have just run low on memory. What I do is reboot my machine right before I'm ready to fly. I've seen this mentioned several times in the AVSIM forums and it seems to work for me.

Guest Rudo

Update:Reboot Win2000Start FS9 (I fly in Full Window mode, so I have to press 'ALT' to access the FSmenu)Use FSNavigator for planEDDW to EHAM at FL120Export plan to FS200x formatNo weather, EHAM add-on SceneryBeachcraft Baron FS plane + panelImport plan into RC 3.10Trans.alt 5000 at departure and 3000 at arrivalStart at RWY 27 and leave RWY-option open for arrivalUsed 'ALT'+ FUEL and PAYLOAD during the flight to refuel: NO PROBLEMS!AT 27 NM from destination at 4000 I used 'ALT' to refueland RC frooze. This was after I was told to expect vectors to runway 36R and after I had contacted Approach (ATIS received). AdvDisplay is still there and can be undocked and docked. The text is still there but nothing I press will make RC respond.I run Win2000 with all other programmes open (I don't know which)

Guest RickT

Rudi,Send me your flight plan (eddw-eham.pln - eddw-eham.rc3 - eddw-eham.wx)the name you gave it might be different. What I need is the pln file the rc3 file and the wx file for that flight.I'll see if I can reproduce your problem. Please zip the files and send it to rick@jdtllc.com.

let's try this. set your fs options to never run out of fuel. i think it is under realism. then try again.

Guest Rudo

Hi Guys,UPDATE:I did some thinking: what did I change to FS9 recently.I use fancy payware aircraft: can't be it...I use fancy payware wheather: can't be it...I use fancy payware ATC: can't be it...I find in 90% of the cases where something goes wrong, it is your own fault ;-) In my case I UNCHECKED the 'PAUSE ON TASK' checkbox, because this was in my fancy aircraft's manual... (no names).So I CHECKED the 'PAUSE ON TASK' checkbox and everything is fine now.I flew two more flights under the same conditions. I can refuel in middair as often as I like: RC keeps going on...Now I don't know if this is going to help Jure but you might take a look at your general settings and see if the 'PAUSE ON TASK' box is checked...

Guest Rudo

>let's try this. set your fs options to never run out of fuel.>i think it is under realism. then try again.>>John, shame on you...After al we go through to make FS9 as realistic as possible? How can you suggest to use unlimited fuel and keep a straight fase. (LOL)

Guest RickT

Glad to hear you found the culprit.

Bad news...after three successful flights, RC hung again today. Setup as usual, with FSNav also running (forgot about that!). Flew A-320 from EDDM-LJLJ. Well into approach, on base leg, I had to access the menu because my ATC key keeps on getting reassigned for some reason! Anyway, after I assigned the usual ` key for ATC and got back to flying, RC froze. :(I have PAUSE ON TASK SWITCH on, so that is not it in my case. That ATC thing is plaguing me since I first got FS9, so it is not connected to current RC problems. Looks like it is the Alt key. But why only on approach? I've tried all sorts of aircraft from default to the complex Citation X and it's always the same. Weird!Rudi, how are things at your end? If you fly again, please try to access the menu on approach and do something - maybe change a display setting or something? I am curious what would happen. Thanks!Jure

did you have to re-assign the ` key during the three succesful flights?why is ` getting re-assigned? who cares? do you use `?i wonder if you did not access the menu to change the ` key, would the flight have ended successfully?jd

JD,> did you have to re-assign the ` key during the three succesful> flights?Actually, no. I was really careful not to do anything but switch the views occasionally. No menu accessing except in the beginning while changing fuel qty and loading the flightplan. Hmm...> why is ` getting re-assigned? who cares? do you use `?I have no idea why the key gets re-assigned. Something triggers it from time to time. Same happens with one of the joystick rotating knobs which gets assigned to spoilers even if I delete the assignement. Locked=Yes in fs9.cfg does not prevent this. ` was the default ATC key in FS2002 and I use it in FS9 also. But that was happening well before trouble with RC started. > i wonder if you did not access the menu to change the ` key, would> the flight have ended successfully?Yes. Although I doubt that the ` key is the culprit. Without acessing menu on approach, flight can be completed successfuly with RC running all the way to the end. Next thing I'll do is completely disable the secondary monitor on my Radeon 9600XT. One more thing...Within RC, all keys are assigned the CTRL + SHIFT + combination. I'll investigate this as well. Because on some aircraft I use CTRL + SHIFT + to wing views. But RC freezing is not limited to flights involving those aircraft and neither is the re-assignemnt of the ATC key. Maybe I should change the CTRL+SHIFT to just CTRL or some such and see what happens? Jure

Guest Rudo

>Rudi, how are things at your end? If you fly again, please try>to access the menu on approach and do something - maybe change>a display setting or something? I am curious what would>happen. I did 5 flights after checking the PAUSE ON TASK box. With all my third party fancy payware programms running. No problems. I can access the menu using ALT key during every stage of the flight.The only problem now is Rick telling me to go around, and around, and around... ;-)I hope you sort this out. I will keep you informed if it happens to me again.Thanks,

Guest RickT

If you would put your gear down before landing I wouldn't say a word. Landings are much smoother using wheels.