Sign in to follow this  
Guest JTWhite

Following flight plan

Guest JTWhite

I use Radar Contact a lot, and it's just so nice to have some interaction.However, Im curious about one thing.I was on a flight from Halifax, N.S., to Sydney, N.S., direct via VOR.However, ATC vectored me everywhich way to in the right direction.THen they handed me to MOncton Center, and it told me to proceed with own navigation.Now, I must be kinda ignorant of ATC procedures, but ...why do they vector me so far off my flight plan?In other words, why bother loading the flight plan into FS if RCvectors me around.???Again, I just may be ignorant of procedures, and I dont really need the FS flight plan, but is this normal???And will ATC-RC eventually get me there??I hope this is clear.ThanksJohnnewburgh, IN

sounds like your traffic vectors setting is way to high. click options, and move the traffic slider upwardsthe other thing it could be, is how many checkpoints between airports do you have? are you being yelled at for being off course, or just turn left, turn right, turn leftjd

Guest JTWhite

Hey, JD...Well, my vectors were from 140 to 250... when I needed to be tracking 65 or so.When it tells me to resume own navigation, Big Brother comes on and asks, "Are you still on the airway?"The same sort of thing happened on a flight from KEVV to KIND... when I shouldve been tracking about 60, it had me zigzagging from 140 to 220 or so (just rough numbers.)Ill just try again later tonight when I get home and change the vector settings.It may be no big deal... but just enough that I was getting alittle annoyed. My passengers were wondering why we werer headed southwest when we wanted to go northeast.Thanks for the reply.JOhnb

if the vectors are behind you, then you are missing checkpoints. controller is sending you back to progress them.are you passing within 5 miles of each checkpoint?these aren't vectors, so changing the vector settings won't make any change to the symptomsare you filing a departure procedure? first checkpoint within 30 miles of the departure airport? you have to progress those checkpoints within 2 milesjd