Sign in to follow this  
Guest skyhog

Active Sky V1.91

Guest skyhog

I would like to know if there is anything special one has to do torun Active Sky with Radar Contact. My destination weather reportdiffers from RC. Going into KMCO I should have had a 9kt wind butRC said the wind was 30kts.

For starters upgrade to WXRe 1.92.Next, I'd tune to FS ATIS and see what that is reporting using the ATIS window and see if FS and RC agree. If they do, then you need to troubleshoot your WXRe settings including TAF processing. If it turns out to be AS reporting errors for both RC and FS, I suggest taking this discussion to the AS forums on AVSIM. Search there and you will find several threads on the subject of terminal weather mismatching.

Guest skyhog

Thanks for your reply Ronzie. I always check FS Atis but when I doI get FS and RC at the same time so its hard to listen to both andgets confusing. I notice when installing RC that there were filesfor AS and FS Meteo. Are these files automatically integrated intoRC during the installation?

Guest RickT

The Radar Contact install routine does not install Active Sky or FSMETEO. They must be installed separately.

Since I started about a year ago with the 3.0 CD, I don't recall any auto install of any accessories and probably they are out of date by now, but someone from RC will have to answer that.To hear FS seperate ATIS, if you know the frequency of the ATIS, you can tune COM2 to it and switch your audio selector to it which will silence RC on COM1 but of course this would not be used much or you could miss a controller's instruction.In FSUIPC if this is enabled in your version, you should be able to find an option about showing FS ATIS in the adv window, or maybe it is an option in the right click dropdown within the window, can't recall.One thing I recall from AS docs, I think, if you accelerate the FS time then the FS time and AS time no longer sync, not to mention possible RC problems. AS is probably set to the sys clock, not FS clock in your options. If you start with the correct weather match and then speed ahead, this could be the cause of a mismatch at the end especially with TAF active.Lastly, again if I recall, it is possible to have RC in the adv window and FS in the green scroll bar. Usually people complain about both being up and want to shut down the FS scroll. Somewhere in FS there is an option.Visually you can get seperate FS and RC scroll so your quick eye can get an idea of the comparison.Another option in AS is to enable their Flightcast feature, tune COM2 to 122.0, and select BOTH on your panel audio selector. You will be hearing both, but this gives you some control, more or less. Don't forget the RC option of getting weather. You can get the weather at roughly the same location that Flightwatch is broadcasting - I suppose.You can try after landing and parking (or before take-off if you want) listening to FS-ATIS through the ATC window, then the AS Flightwatch report on 122.0, and finally the RC ATIS and compare them. Being on the ground insures that being aloft is not a factor and the reporting stations should be close.Satisfy my curiosity and post your findings.

Guest skyhog

Hi Ronzie,I upgraded to AS V1.92 to no avail. Last flight-KPIT to KEWR.AS forecast at KEWR 23008KT. AT arrival RC said 28048KT. FSATIS said winds calm. My approach was with winds for 22L at28048kts. Tough to touch down like that. Some planes I fly onlyhave com 1 and no com 2. I'll check on the FSUIPC thing and seeif anything there works. Thanks

Guest skyhog

I'm using FSUIPC V3.2 JD. I'm still experimenting and flew fromKBDL to KEWR and everything went good with AS forecast and FS ATIS,RC ATIS. I tried using the user defined weather button along withclear sky's of all weather. I'll try another flight like this andsee if the results are the same.

One suggestion:I save all my flights in a gate parked cold and dark cockpit situation (with the most probable autopilot settings saved) and other issues. I then use these saved flights for the initial flight start.When saving these flights I am always in the clear weather theme. The FSUIPC log shows it issues a clear-all-weather command to FSUIPC when the flight loads which was saved with the clear weather theme. Then when WXRe starts, it is always in a clear weather situation before WXRe starts it weather writes. Now, under FS2K2 and FS9, WXRe always issues a clear-all-weather anyway. If you advance to AS2004 for FS9 this is not the case so this suggestion definitely applies.Also, I would insure that as in some versions of FSUIPC, the external-program-control-weather box is checked (as I recall - proof me in the user guide).

Guest skyhog

Hi Ronzie,I am cofused at best to figure out whats going on. Flew to KORDtoday and got 3 different RWY's. RC ATIS said Rwy 32L, RC Approachsaid 4L and FS ATIS said 27R. ASwxRE had wind at 060/7kts. SO itseems Rc App was right. ASwxRE will default FS to user definedweather. I'll check to FSUIPC manual.

sounds like the activesky option to set des destination arrival may not be set. or the distance to set it is less than 60 miles.remember fs does not always pick the best runway based on winds. rc doesn't either. rc is going to pick the best ils equipped runway based on wind. if there is only one ils equipped runway, that one will be picked regardless of wind direction.kord isn't a good example to that rule :-)where are you picking up the rc atis? it has to be picked up after activesky has set the destination weather. and those parameters are part of the activesky optionsjd

Guest skyhog

I have destination weather to update at 60 miles. The RC ATIS isrequested by OTTO when within range. I flew to ORD again to seewhat would happen. The forecast was rain and there was rain.Wind was at 212/14kts. Rwy 27L was in use and everything was ok.There seems to be some inconsistency at times. I'll keep youposted on my next flight. KORD to KDFW.

Guest skyhog

Hi JD,Made the flight to KDFW and Rc and FS both had 17L. That was good, but then RC quit responding. The sound was getting bad before that happened. First time for that. I posted a reply about the Altsetting being 0001. I had that also but set it manually to 3001which it was supposed to be. I have FSUIPC 3.201 and ASwxRE does notgive any info for settings on the new version. Just wondering ifthat has anything to do with whats going on. Makes everything veryinteresting tho.:-eek

Guest skyhog

Hi Jim,I have flown several flights sincce last post and the weatherand runway assignments have been good. Now having problem withRC. Flew KDEN to KLAX today and decending to FL130 RC gave meALT setting 0001 and then told me to contact Gorda or somethinglike that and then FS crashed. wxRE was ok for that flight. Ihave a post to ASwxRE about setting the new version of FSUIPCas they don't have the new one in their manual.