Sign in to follow this  
Guest skyhog

Sound Stutters

Guest skyhog

Hi JD,Just recently I have been experiencing sound stutters. While usingspot view I get stutters but none in cockpit view. If I hideADVDISP the stutters go away. I have just started using FS Timeto keep my clock from slowing down. Do you think FS Time is the problem? Using ASwxRE V1.92, RC V3.1 FS2004.

i don't know. you didn't use to have sound stutters, now you do. something changed. undo the changes you've made, one at a time, and identify the culpritjd

I have not used the wxRE version but if there are options to turn off the weathercasts on 122.0 and the display new station updates in the Adv Window do so. The less disp writes or sound use, the better.

Guest skyhog

Thanks Ronzie,I'll give that a try, but today I flew with FS weather because the weather server for wxRE has not been doing very good this week.Still had the same problem with stutters. It seems to be a displayproblem when there are a lot of clouds present.

If you are using an on-the-motherboard sound chip, your motherboard processor does a lot of basic sound processing, much more so than if you used a seperate sound card. There was another post similar to yours and going to a seperate sound card helped quite a bit.One symptom as you describe is the increased load on the processor when 3D clouds (and AI traffic) are present causing quite a load on the processor and on-board sound suffers.In addition, make sure all unnecessary background processes are turned off. Search the hardware and FS forum on AVSIM for stutters in the text.A seperate sound card is not a cure but should greatly help due to its better efficiency.Also get the higher efficient cloud sets from FS Sky World. Search the forum for that info or follow the pointers in the Active Sky forum pinned topic at the top. This is for FS9 cloud/fps improvement.

Guest skyhog

Hi Ronzie,I have the Sound Blaster Live card and have found the problem. Myframe rates drop to 4FPS and lower sometimes. I'm going to uninstallthe MY Traffic program to see if that helps.Thanks

Just bring the AI traffic slider down to 0 to see if AI is causing the problem. Then slowly increase it.You did not state your ram, CPU speed, video card, DX settings, and we could go on forever but all this tuning and your system capacity will determine what kind of 3D load which includes scenery detasil, AI, 3D cloud coverage, etc., your system will handle.Look at some of the hardware FAQs for system tuning tips.

Guest Scott Campbell

I used to have the sound stutters as well.Ron mentined turning down the AI slider.Clouds take a massive amount of processor time. Turning down your cloud density will solve the issue far more than traffic.I had to have cloud density at 60-70% until I got a better system. It's the cloud textures that are pulling down your rates more than anything. This has been a big problem with FS9. But with a faster (more importantly, a newer) system this goes away.There are some sites, like FSW http://fsw.simflight.com/ that have new textures you might want to try. Chris Willis usually does a pretty good job. Look under the FS2004/FPS & Fix area.