Sign in to follow this  
norman_99

Class G Airspace?

G'day,Firstly let me start by saying what a great addition to FS radar contact is, keep up the good work guys.I do have a question regarding operations to uncontrolled airports though. I realise in the US that the floor of class E airspace is much lower, and therefore IFR flights will recieve clearences for approaches into most airports. But in australia, Class E exists from either 8500 or 12500 and up. Once an IFR aircraft is at TOD, they simply get "cleared to leave controlled airspace on decent", and passing either 9000 or 13000, get told "contol services terminated, contact center on ***.**, the class G area frequency. Aircraft therefore never get cleared for approaches because they occur outside controlled airspace. The class G frequency continues to provide traffic info to IFR aircraft, such as "traffic for your decent to armidale is eastern 2023, IFR dash 8, currently ***, expecting armidale at ***" but no control servecies. On takeoff, you make a taxi call on the class g airspace, and possibly get a code if in radar coverage, but don't get a clearence. Once airborne you make a departure report on the same frequency, and only get a clearence if climbing into the overlying E airspace.I realise that it's impossible to model every copuntries procedures, but was wondering if there'd been any thought put into simulating non controlled airspace in a similar way. Maybe through an input for Class E floor on the controllers page, similar to the LSALT input.This is mearly a suggestion an in no way a critisism of the hard work everybodys done, but i'd be interested in any ideas you have about this area.Thanks for a great productMichael

Micheal,I know what you mean about the classes of airspace. I'll include a post of mine from a thread about v3 back in 2002 below which should help form a base for your question."what we have done is not include specific classes of airspace - rather allowed the user to include or not include terminal controller positions like Ground, Tower, Approach etc for your departure and arrival airports. This then determines if you're operating in controlled areas or not. Of course if you climb high enough, you'll "get controlled" in Class C. In RC, the airspace structure is divided into horizontal sectors, which you'll often hear being refered to as the low- high- and super-stratums, along with terminal areas. These basically form the different airspace classes as you find in real life."I know it doesn't directly address your question about Class G, as RC was originally based and built upon US procedues, and these horizontal 'stratums' are designed to reflect that.With v4, we spent a lot of time 'international-zing' RC so as to include ICAO phrasology. I believe in the future, newer versions will expand on this idealology, and no doubt RC will 'evolve' to accomodate the airspace differences of more countries like Australia.Just as a work around, could you just Cancel IFR, when you decend through E into G?Subs

Subs,Thanks for your quick reply. I realise that different classes of airspace aren't modelled, which isn't a problem as to IFR aircraft they're all very similar (G aside). I was just curious to know if there have been any thoughts about an "uncontrolled" sector, or something similar. Till then, cancel IFR might be the way to go.Thanks again and keep up the great work.Michael