Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stragu

Q: Taxi instructions in R V4

Guest Stragu

Hello everybody,this is might be a stupid question, but is it right that RC V4 does not supply any Taxi information, how you get from the gate to the asigned runway. I just wonder how you guys are solving this when you use RC V4. Do you still use the Microsoft ATC in order to direct you to the runway and later to when arrived to the gate or do you just take the taxiway you like.... which is by far not realistic....I hope some one of you have an easy answer or proposal....Thanks!best regards,Christian

Hi Christian,It's best to have the MSATC on com2 if you want to play around with this idea (RC is always on Com1).You also need to configure the RC 'hotkeys' so they don't use the 1-9 required by msatc (I have my RC keys set as ctrl shift 1 etc.)At the arrival airport it's very easy. Once RC has told you to 'taxi to the ramp' just call up the msatc ground and ask for taxi instructions, you'll be given them.At the departure airport you'd just need to play with it and see what can be achieved. I forget the details but seem to remember it's more difficult to do if conditions are ifr.All the best,John

Christian,I find the moving map in FS Flight Keeper http://www.molitor-home.de/fs/FLKeeper/News.html to be invaluable when taxiing around larger airports. Alternatively FS Navigator should help. Or as John suggests you can utilise the default ATC although I never do.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Christian and Ray,In my haste I misread the initial post a bit. I thought Christian was asking how to use MSATC with RC.FSNav certainly helps. Flight Sim Commander is also good. It also displays the ai's around you much like FSFK.All the best,John

I print the taxi charts for larger airports and use them to find my way to the runway - if there is AI traffic, I'll follow them (and RC4 sometimes tells me to follow a certain aircraft to the active). i did this with the default ATC too - as i didn't like the progressive taxi - felt too arcade like.I use the overhead map view (shift ] ) to figure out where I am so i know which way to go (and Rc4 helps by providing the compas direction).I would like to see ground supported in RC4 - given that the default ATC does it - can it be that difficult?

there are some other things on our v5 list, that i think have more bang for the buck. like our first attempt at seperation. vmc approach code, and vfr FF, ground avoidance, etc.i don't know how difficult it is. never looked into it.

>Hi Christian,>>It's best to have the MSATC on com2 if you want to play around>with this idea (RC is always on Com1).>>You also need to configure the RC 'hotkeys' so they don't use>the 1-9 required by msatc (I have my RC keys set as ctrl shift>1 etc.)>>At the arrival airport it's very easy. Once RC has told you to>'taxi to the ramp' just call up the msatc ground and ask for>taxi instructions, you'll be given them.>>At the departure airport you'd just need to play with it and>see what can be achieved. I forget the details but seem to>remember it's more difficult to do if conditions are ifr.>>All the best,>>JohnJohn,Correct me if I'm wrong, but to do what you suggest for having FS atc giving directions at your destination, won't you have to acknowledge all of FS's instructions for the entire flight. Won't FS cancel your flightplan for not responding? Or do you do what is done on long flights......acknowledge a handoff and then don't check in with the new frequency until you are back on the ground! If this would work (having ground control-not the purple/pink line, but taxi instructions to follow) I would be extremely happy!!! But I don't think FS Ground will direct you to the same gate that was set in RC....will it?As I said in other posts, I am extremely happy with the airborne atc (much more realistic), but disappointed with the lack of Ground atc (to round out the true realistic atc experience). Hopefully in future updates some of our concerns will come to be realized!Rick

Hi Rick,You need to play around with this if you want to and see what can be achieved. If I remember correctly if conditions at departure are vfr you don't have to file a plan with msatc. If conditions are ifr you do and the problems you suggest occur.To be honest it's a couple of years since I played with this. I know a certain amount of 'co-existence' is possible but it's not perfect!All the best,John

Guest Stragu

Hello all,thanks for all your replies.... they were definetly helpful.... I will find my way around, but I would like to join one of you with the remark, that this tool would become even more perfect when the taxi instructions would be included as well....Thanks again.... and merry christmas to all of you....Happy Landings.... best regards from Munich...Christian

Hi Christian,We're already working on some improvements to v4 and the policy of JDTLLC has always been one of continuous improvement. We too would like to implement taxi instructions. It's all a case of working out how to do it but we do have some very clever trig people on the team.A Merry Christmas to you too :-wave

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks for raising this item and all the replies,I was going to post a question having discovered this slight problem but I see it has been well covered.Super job fellas.Special greetings to Ray who is not far from me-I'm just west of Stoke

The trick to using MSFS ATC with RC is to ensure that you do NOT file a MSFS flightplan through the Flights/Flight Planner menu. Contact the departure ground on comm2 when you're ready to taxi and request the runway. If it's different to the the RC one, change the RC one to match MSFS. Select prgressive taxi if you want it (pink line ...blecccch) and away you go. Ensure you request t/o from tower (again on comm2) at the hold point. Because MSFS thinks you're flying VFR you don't need to to check in and comply with any MSFS ATC instructions. The only potential snag is that if the departure airfield is IFR you'll be told to sod off by MSFS ATC but that is a fairly rare occurence. If it happens, you're no worse off than if you were relying on RC solely.Within 40 miles of the arrival airfield, select it from the MSFS menu when it's in range and request a full stop landing from the tower. Ensure that you match the RC runway to the one given you by MSFS and then just comply with RC4 all the way down. Contacting MSFS tower is important because they are then expecting you and will hold any ground traffic and take-offs when you're on finals, avoiding lots of potential go-arounds.It's a bit of a fiddle, but it does work and I rarely get any sort of go-around this way.Rgds,

Guest bobsk8

I use FS Nav and one of the great features that it has, is the moving map. You can zoom in on the airport from above and see all the gates, ramps and runways. You can even tell which gates are regular and Cargo and GA parking. To try a free copy for 20 flights or so , go to www.fsnavigator.com .

Hi Andy,That's the sort of thing I played around with in v3 certainly. Never did find a work around if the departure was ifr :-(One important difference with RC4 is that you should no longer need to contact MS arrival tower etc. RC4 should sort out other traffic using the same runway to avoid unnecessary go arounds (most of the time!). All you have to do is contact MS ground after leaving the runway and request taxi instructions from them.All the best,John

Thanks Chris. Been to NUL a few times when I visted my brother who used to live in Alsager.Have a happy Christmas!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather