Sign in to follow this  
Guest davfra

Hold Short

Guest davfra

I`m being told to taxi to a runway and hold short. Then I hear nothing further: In older versions of RC all I did was set the parking brake on and off and the problem was solved. I`d be grateful if anyone can advise, please.

Hi there,The parking brake trigger is no longer in v4. Basically you should be cleared for takeoff if there are no ai in front of you for takeoff or on final for landing, you are tuned to tower and:You are within a few hundred feet of the end of the runway or, if the access to the runway is part way along the runway, you are stationary (holding short) within a couple of hundred feet of the centre of the runway.This is one of the reasons we now build a database from your scenery files, so we (hopefully) know where the runways are in your scenery.Let us know if this is a persistent problem.All the best,John

Guest davfra

What tower is actually saying is `line up and wait` and I hear no more from them, no matter how long I wait.I start my flight just short of the runway, rather than at a gate. Is this likely to cause a problem?Are the scenerary files loaded in automatically?Thanks for the response.

Hi there,Line up and wait is the instruction for you to go onto the runway and line up ready for takeoff.Tower should clear you for takeoff once you move onto the runway and are within about 10 to 15 degrees of the runway heading.All the best,John

did you rebuild your scenery database when you received/installed RC?does this happen at every airport, or just one?if it is reproducible, start rc, click the debug button, load the .pln, click start rc.then reproduce the problem. quit rc, zip up the .log file and send it to jd@jdtllc.cominclude in the email what the problem is, so i can quickly jump to the relevant part of the logjd

Guest davfra

"Line up and wait is the instruction for you to go onto the runway and line up ready for takeoff."That did it, thank you. I did check the manual and couldn`t see any mention of that change, but I haven`t printed it out yet cos my printer has gone belly up.What happened to Otto? I find the female voice much easier to understand over the radio and in my plane. Are there any in the add on voice packs?Thanks for the help.

Hi there,I think this was part of the international changes:'Taxi into position and hold' in FAA regions'Line up and wait' elsewhere.Means the same thing.I'm afraid we've no lady copilot's as yet this time around.We miss her too :-(All the best,John

Guest bobsk8

>I think JB has correctly identified the problem, jd. It seems>Davfra is confused about the meaning of "line up and wait".>He's holding short instead of taxiing onto the runway. As he's>not on the runway he doesn't get take off clearance.>Pete>http://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannerbeta.jpgIs line up and wait the same as " position and hold" ?

Guest bobsk8

>That's right Bob,>>One is 'FAA' phraseology, the other is 'International'>>JohnGlad I found that out, I would have been doing some long waiting on a Overseas flight... :)

You'll find lots of little (and not so little) differences like that, Bob, when you start venturing outside the US. As an aside, a few years ago ICAO tried to introduce the phrase, "taxi holding position, runway..." UK controllers staged a revolt and flatly refused to use it on safety grounds. It used almost identical words to the FAA's "taxi into position and hold" but had exactly the opposite meaning - the FAA means enter the runway, the ICAO means remain clear of the runway!Petehttp://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannerbeta.jpg

I have noticed that when I taxi to the runway with AI traffic, I can be coming up to the runway entrance, have 4+ AI planes in line in front of me, but the RC controller still tells me to taxi into position and hold. This has always happened when there are AI planes in front of me at the runway entrance?I usually just wait my turn anyways, and when I finally do get into position I get take off clearance and go, so all is good there, just wierd that it doesn't know that I have other traffic in front of me. Does the same with AI planes landing, it will tell me to taxi into position and hold when an AI plane is 10 seconds from landing. It's almost as if it is ignoring AI traffic completely.

Hi Matt,Is this at a particular runway or are you seeing it all the time?In testing RC has been very reliable in seeing how many ai are between you and the runway threshold and having you wait your turn.Once you arrive at the front of the queue do you get told again to 'taxi into position and hold'. If so, that would be the first time tower has instructed you to do that. Earlier could you be hearing a clearance directed at one of the ai planes and assuming it was directed at you?As far as the landing ai on very short is concerned we've seen a couple of reports of this and will investigate further. My suspicion is that RC thinks the plane has already landed. There may well be a bit of a bug here.All the best,John