Sign in to follow this  

How does the GeF 4 MX compare to the Gef 4 Ti with resp

Hi All,I know here is a huge difference (not only in price) between the two GeForce 4 series (MX and Ti). But it's also common knowledge that FS2002 like its predecessors is compute bound. In general this means that there is not much difference in performance (framerate) between different videocards. So the MX series of videocards might give about the same FS2002 performance as the Ti series, but for less than one third of the bucks. :-eek I see many posts in which systems are compared using general or graphics benchmarks, but in my view this doesn't make much sense with respect to FS2002. The only correct way to compare FS performance is to use FS benchmarks under strict circumstances. I was glad to see the same angle of attack by Bubba Wolford at SimHQ (http://www.simhq.com/) but he seems to be mostly interested in the high performance side (Ti) and not in the "low" (MX) side. :-(I was wondering if someone else could provide comparable figures between the GeForce 4 MX and Ti series for FS2002? If possible with additional info about image quality, smoothness etc.Jos G.

It's late and I can't be bothered looking for actual figures, but... ;)The GF4MX basically has the performance of a top of the range GF2 with some added features that it shares with the other GF4 cards. Its performance is quite lousy when compared to its big brothers. You'd be much better off with a GF3 Ti 500. From what I've read around, the bottom line seems to be that it's a poor performer. Having said all that, I don't own the card nor have I seen it in action, but that does seem to be the general concensus.

Yeah, go with the best graphics card you can afford - this stuff about fs2002 being processor-bound is too simplistic by far. As I have just proved to my own satisfaction, the better the graphics card the better the graphics quality and also the better the motion smoothness. Don't listen to those P4 snobsAll from me Georgethetee

The MX is NOT a GeForce 4 card, it is a GeForce 2!!! relabelled, nVidia's web site does not even reccommend this card for 3D use!If you gotta go cheap, get an old GF3 or a GF2 Ultra/Pro etcRay

Basically the MX version of the geforce 4 has less features than a Geforce 3 or a Geforce 4 TI and also some people who have had them have mentioned that they have had problems with the reflections when using Fs2002. Dont know if that problem is going to be fixed with new drivers from Nvidia or whether its something that the chips on the card itself are doing.If you can afford it, at least get a Geforce 3 TI 200 or a good ATI card. I dont know much about the ATI cards but I know that they are ok. If you do a search for Geforce 4 Mx or similar you should come across some posts which are quite like yours.Hope you find some useful infoCraig Kiltie

Guest gasebah

Hi George,at least someone else who speaks up. I am so tired of that "there is no real difference in FS2002 between a GF3 Ti and a GF 4 Ti". These are statements from people who do not own the card and still pretend to know the difference. Basically they are just reciting what they read. They will be quoted again etc.etc.I upgraded from GF3 to GF4 and the gain in overall picture quality and texture upgrading is immense. Even though there is no huge framerate gain. If u do not have a fast card u will not see what FS2002 is really capable of even if you might get almost the same framerates from a GF3Ti.Hope I will get quoted this time.gds,Alex

From what I've read, the GF4 Ti4200 will outperform a GF3 Ti500 for about the same price as a GF3 Ti200, and is the best bang for the buck. I can't attest to the performance of a GF4 Ti4400 or Ti4600. Some say they are only a little better for a lot more money, while others say the performance gain is worth every penny.

Guest Grunt

Yep!I didn't do any research when I "upgraded" from a GF 2 MX to a GF 4 MX. It was just an impulse buy in the store. Anyway, I had absolutely NO IMPROVEMENT over the GF 2! I even got the newest drivers!I'll definatly read some more before I waste my money again!http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/Us...cdf6182b41d.jpg Great Lakes Express VA - The Midwest's regional and feeder airlinehttp://www.voyagerairlines.com/gle/index.html

Guest georgi55

Price for GF4 MX ar same or at max $10 difference with GF3 cards, and those $10 are REALLY worth.Go to www.pricewatch.com and find some of the best deals for GF3s.I personaly won't recomend ATi - it's anti-alaising is weak and no where to be compared with my new PNY GF3. (had ATi RADEON 64MB DDR)Georgi

Guest PaulL01

>Hi George, >>at least someone else who speaks up. I am so tired of that >"there is no real difference in FS2002 between a GF3 Ti and >a GF 4 Ti". These are statements from people who do not own >the card and still pretend to know the difference. Basically >they are just reciting what they read. They will be quoted >again etc.etc. >I upgraded from GF3 to GF4 and the gain in overall picture >quality and texture upgrading is immense. Even though there >is no huge framerate gain. If u do not have a fast card u >will not see what FS2002 is really capable of even if you >might get almost the same framerates from a GF3Ti. >>Hope I will get quoted this time. >>gds, >Alex My problem with the GF4TI kind of reverses what you have experienced. As I do not like the default driver setting of "best image quality" of either card, to really get the best image Anisotropy of at least 32tap has to be enabled via GTU or other registry enabling/hacking software, Real problem is when this is done on the GF4TI the performance goes down the tubes to the tune of half the fill rate of a GF3! So until it

Hello FS friends,Thanks for the sound advice on graphic cards. I understand that I should shy away from the GeF 4MX, but that a GeF 4Ti4200 with the latest drivers from nVidia would be the best buy with respect to price/performance.From other posts I understand that this would make a nice combination with an Athlon XP1800+ and a good sound card (Audigy?). I suppose that asking for inclusion of a good powersupply (400 W) would also be a good idea?Jos Grupping[a href=http://simflight.com/fshistory]Flight Simulator History[/a]