Sign in to follow this  

FFG's Lear 35, short review

Just downloaded and installed the new Lear from FFG. It comes with an installer and is a snap to set up. There is no included cockpit and basically its just a very fine aircraft model with above average textures, no complaints there. They have captured the lines of the aircraft very well and its nice to have a good looking, sleek learjet in the stable. I have abacus pro pilot stuff so I aliased the panel to the Citation for now as it works nicely and is fairly modern looking. It also works really well as private jet panel. Somebody needs to do a nice panel for this with some views I think. It would add a lot. Next I jumped into the sim and fired her up in Portland Ore for a short flight up to Seattle. The FM is a dream to fly. Pitch response is smooth and controlled. Roll rates are maybe a bit low, but overall it is a real pleasure to fly. If you like the corporate jets, this is one fine aircraft to have. Its probably the nicest small jet I have now thats not military. The model and textures are very good on frame rates and on my Athlon 1.4ghz tbird with 512mb ram and a Voodoo 5 it runs very smooth with no noticeable hit to the frame rate. Kudos to FFG for a job well done! Now we need a good Cessna Citation!!!!Hornit

This lear is a fun little airplane. Flies nice. Great framerates. Looks good. I think I'm gonna loosen up the ailerons a little bit. I don't have abacus so I had to redo the falcon pit using the default lear's rear views and matching the colors (work's ok) Still gotta change out the engine gauges.http://www.x-plane.org/users/mgdbottled/Learjet_Pit.jpg

That pit more resembles a Lear than mine does MG, maybe you could send it my way when you fix the engine gauges?? Not bad at all!Hornit

Guest N247BK

Great Panel .... I cannot seem to find it i the Library.Could you point me to it when you have a chance. Thanks !Also, I found the FFG quite light on the controls .... I LOVE the plane, though .... did you or anyone notice the same?

I just tried a search here too and couldn't locate it. Went over to www.fsfreeware.com and did a search under crj and it popped up. It was redone by Tom Dennis. So you might try over there.

This Lear 35 is definately eye appealing. But having some real experiences with real Lear's I can tell you the flight model needs some tuning (especially when you deploy the spoiler in flight). The nose is supposed to pitch down NOT up like this bird does. I can make a photoreal Lear 25 (with all the views) and put it with this Lear 35. The real Lear 35 is not all that fancy (avionics). It mostly has analog style gauges with the ocassional GPS upgrade maybe and EHSI. Compared to the Lear 25 (pure turbo jet)the Lear35(turbo fan) is a "hog".Regards,Jason "fearjet"P.S. Jorge (FFG) please fix the spoiler issue for one fine lookin aircraft. Thanks again!

I made three adjustments in the flighttuning section. Changed both drag factors to 1.5 and changed aileron effectiveness to 2.0. That stiffened it up just a bit, eliminated the need to use airbrakes and she'll barrell roll now. hehehe. Just don't roll all the way over near the deck. I noticed the up pitch with the airbrakes too. Not a show stopper. Isn't the Falcon50 the same way??? Also, she needs just a bit of up elevator trim for takeoff. Comes off the runway really nice with flaps one.

Any idea why when I installed the same CRJ700 Panel, it is "squeezed" vertically so that it only fills half the screen?

Phil; no idea. Are you sure you got the one that was updated by Tom Dennis for FS2002??? There's one about identical for FS2000.

OOPS! I guess I was too hasty. Just reloaded FS2k2 and everything was ok. Sorry. Sure is an attractive panel, isn't it?

I have some 35A time, too (under two different captains who understood a hungry copilot's need for stick time). Ours had the SoftFlight mod with extended tips. Compared with *any* Longhorn Lear (dating myself, here), the 25/35s in roll are less responsive and have non-trivial roll inertia, besides. I'd say 15-20% less roll response than a 31A (my Longhorn experience). You must *be careful* with this airplane on bumpy crosswind landings to not get into the tip-tank cha-cha-cha, which has upset more than a few of the tip-tanked Lears. In fact, upset within 1 nm of the airport was All to say, I'd maybe go slow on increasing roll response on this a/c. Especially since overresponsive aircraft are at the top of the "first thing to fix to make realistic". If you want a really snappy jet -- the F18 is tops.But not the Lear. --BeachComer Stephen "Beach" Comer Real World Pile-it Commercial ASMEL, Instrument Airplane 4500 TT, 2500 BE20 & BE10 CE-500