Sign in to follow this  
Guest ripthejacker

CURE FOR STUTTERING

Guest ripthejacker

Hi, first post from me.I have suffered from severe frame rate drop and stuttering since installing the update.I found that by reducing the quality of clouds in AV6 helped a bit.Using FStrees from avsim helped by reducing tree sizes and hence cpu workload.The main problem is the ANTIVIRUS program you may be using.To check quickly, disable your antivirus program and try the sim.beware, you may need to detach from the internet if you have security concerns.I found that the antivirus program is scanning the wavs and rcv4 in general when the files are being put together for speech.This greatly slows down the process, and slows the cpu cycles down to a rate that affects the video transfer for the sim.The next step is to configure your antivirus program to disable these particular scans being conducted, but let the program still provide normal security.I suggest every poster comments, stating whether1. they suffer from stuttering or not.2.what antivirus program they use.3. did they notice an improvement without antivirus running? 4. the alterations they used and how to configer that particular av program to enable normal use without scanning the RC4 processes.I suggest this could applied to to FS2004 and AV6 too.For the record I use Fs2004, AV6 Rc4 and ANTIVIR antivirus programs.I have virtually no hesitation with Antivirus disabled.It has never run so smoothly before.Good luck all, and hello jd et alHope this helps, i know its a frustrating problem........If it doesnt help anyone, i will remove this post and look further.

thanks for posting, i was about to do the same thing this morning. i had a nice leisure flight last night (ok, i was testing). i watched my cpu meters while flying. i have one for cpu1 and one for cpu2. cpu1 was obviously taking the fs cycles, it was 100 percent.there was about a 4% usage on cpu2 while rc was running. every once and a while cpu2 would spike to 100 percent, and then a voice was played. obviously it takes some horsepower to put the wavs together, but if the realtime antivirus program is scanning every wav i open, then that's an unnecessary hit.i'd like to see how others behave, if they take your suggestionsjd

Guest ripthejacker

Hi jd, had some great free flowing flights this am, but having just added the latest voice sets, find some hesitation again, but not as bad as before.Is there a less intensive way to join the wavs out there?Could the joining process be slowed down perhaps, I think a 2 to 5 second delay before hearing the reply would be far better, and perhaps realistic. Would that ease the cpu cycle drain?Lets hope we can erradicate this little irritation.regards.

i was thinking about that last night.v4.0 - some people experienced less than smooth speechv4.01 - most people experience smooth speech, no stuttersif i slow the concatenation process, then there is going to be more delay between key press and speech. that will be the next irritation. i'm not sure whether i can make everyone happy, but i'll keep trying.do you remember which voice had some hesitation? the process to put them together is the same, regardless of the voice. maybe a particular voice needs a little more trimming. i've had several offline messages that have re-inforced my thought that antivirus programs may be the culprit. i'm beta testing ms windows one care live, and i don't see the stutters.it would be kind of cool if all the people with stutters are using AVG, or something else. jd

Guest ripthejacker

hi jdThe one thing you can be sure its not, is the strain put on reading the hard drive.Im running a SATA 3 set up with two 160gb 7200rpm drives in striped mode. The throughput under load is about 2.9 gigs.Rc4 wavs would not bother those babies.Cheers.

jd, I too am experiencing a momentary stutter after the upgrade. This occurs while I'm running AS6, RC4,Ultimate Traffic, FS9. I am closing AnitSpyware as well as AntiVirus prior to starting FS9. Prior to the update I had framerate set at 30 and got 25-28 consistenly. The stutter occurs just as the voice starts speaking. I think it seems to occur more with the pilot voice but have been unable to pin it down. It's not enough to interupt the program to where it isn't usable but it certainly is annoying. ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe MOBO Athlon64 3500 1Gig RAM Nvidia 6600GT PCIe Creative Audigy 2 I just updated the drivers for the Audigy 2 two days ago and it really didn't seem to make any difference. I have the slider at 3/4 in Direct X and sound set to medium within FS; I also dialed traffic back to 90%. I know you can't please everyone but please keep trying and keep up the good work. Craig

>it would be kind of cool if all the people with stutters are>using AVG, or something else. >>jdHi JD,I am using the freeware version of AVG with no problems of stutter at all with RC4.01. There isn't much in the way of configuration with the free version, however I checked the file extensions that AVG checks when running and it does not check .wav files (which is a good thing).CheersIan

Ian Friend

MOBO: Asus P8P67-LE P67 (B3) | CPU: Intel i5 2500K O/C 4.5Ghz | Corsair Hydro H100i CPU Cooler | RAM: Kingston Hyperx 8GB 1600 MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 | HDD1: Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD | HDD2: WD6400AAKS 640GB | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I would recommend shutting down your anti-virus when running FS. I use FSAutoStart (available for free on Avsim) to turn off any resident applications and services not ABSOLUTELY necessary to the sim. This will give you back all of the RAM and CPU time otherwise used by these programs and services. If you look in MSConfig, there are usually a ton of resident applications that load on startup, and many services that you may not need at all, not just when using the sim.

Guest ripthejacker

Hey jd, Ive tried no end of dodges to avoid the stuttering caused by the joining wavs process, to no avail. i have now gone back to the pre update rc4. What a relief, no hesitation. Please could you try to resolve it soon, or bring out updates without that process included.Otherwise, really good work chaps.lloyd.

i'm sorry that's what you had to do that. from my emails, the stutters are on a very small percentage of machines. doesn't seem that way, when you have these posts here. but 99% of the users without stutters don't post.can you tell me the things you tried?the reason i ask, going forward, 4.x will be based on 4.01 code, not 4.00 code. might as well figure it out now, rather than going back to 4.00 and it and re-introducing it in the next release.jd

Guest ripthejacker

hi mate, tried multiple defrags, onboard sound, soundblaster card, altering page file from windows setting to custom values.I tried resizing the wavs, reducing the bit rate and reapplying them, sound quality went down but still stuttering apparent.Im running with an amd 3700 san diego 64bit processor with 1mb cache, never thought that would have problems.Graphic card is saphire 800 gto2 running 16 pipes and top notch speeds thru o/clocking.Using win XP PRO.May be worth doing a questionaire type survey, asking users to fill in the fields about their setups, I think you would identify what is making some work well and others not.Oops just thought, would the amount of ram make a difference?all the best jdlloyd

Lloyd, I have a similar machine and I've tried everything as well and am about ready to give up and rollback to the original version. Did you simply unistall the update to do so or did you have to uninstall everthing and reinstall the orignal? Thanks, Craig

amd? why don't you both spec out your machines, and the fs add-ons, and anything else on your machine that might cause slow disk i/ojd

JD,We could run a survey with the team members. I don't remember seeing anyone with a high-end Athlon which may explain why we haven't experienced the problem.My Pentium 4 3.0 - nearly two years old - runs it fine but I appreciate that isn't much help to Athlon owners. Let's see what the team survey comes back with.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

ASUS A8N SLI MOBOAMD 64 35001G RAMNvidia 6600GT PCIeCreative Audigy 2RC4200G HD80G HD dedicated to FS9500W PSCH Products YolkThrustmaster Rudder PedalsTrack IR3Ultimate TrafficAS6Still Stutters.