Sign in to follow this  
Guest Baconesque

Help, Transmissions don't happen automatically

Guest Baconesque

I just installed RC4 with the upgrade to 4.01 and I'm having difficulty getting it to run properly. The program seems to function fully and the sounds are clear when they do play. The problem I have is that radio transmissions don't occur when they should while Flight Simulator is running normally. For example, if I am cleared to taxi to the runway, the pilot doesn't respond even though automatic responses are selected. If I switch away from FS or right click on something, the message begins playing all of a sudden and any susbsequent responses continue without hesitation until I return to the FS screen. I eventually discovered a consistent pattern that messages never played until I did something along those lines. This caused me to completely miss clearances and vectors during approach until they were very much too late to be relevant. I don't think it can be simply an audio problem because even when my co-pilot had both the radios and the plane these turns would not be made until I somehow forced the transmission to happen. A similar situation is true when I try to navigate through the menu on the adv display. I would press the number of what I wanted, but the window wouldn't change until I right clicked on it or switched away for some reason. I have tried running FS in full screen and in window mode with no improvement.Here are my system specs:Celeron 2.6 GHz1 GB RAMATI Radeon 9200 SE 128 MB PCI Graphics Card80 GB HD with 5 GB free, not fragmentedWindows XP HomeFS9I have also been running, but have attempted to run RC without (with no improvement):Active Sky v. 6FS PassengersFS NavI run, but have disabled Norton Internet Security 2005.I will gladly supply any additional information. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Guest Ian1977

Hi,I have a problem with similar symptoms (see post #16665) in which I get substantial delays in the RC messages and responses - usually 15 to 20 seconds, which are individually "speeded" by right then left clicking in either the FS or AdvDisp windows. The referenced post includes is a list of things I've tried to fix this but haven't worked. JD kindly took the time to look over my system spec/processes etc and made some suggestions but to no avail I'm afraid. I've also discussed with Pete Dowson (AdvDisp) and, although the view was that right and left clicking probably caused FS to release its grip on the cpu and somehow allowed RC to act, in the end he felt my machine simply wasn't up to it.I have an AMD Athlon 2100+, 1Gb DDR Ram and an nvidea 5200 chipset 256MB video card. (Using either onboard or separate sound cards makes no difference here, nor does killing background processes - check the list of things in post #16665.) Looking at the machine specs of many contributers to the formum does suggest my machine is indeed not up to date, but it is what I have and is what I have been using happily enough with FS9. Curiously altering the priorities of either or both fs9 and rc doesn't have much effect - it's as if you actually have to interupt fs9 to get it to let rc in!In the end I developed a workaround involving scripting a separate background program which monitors keystrokes when the FS9 window is active and so detects my interactions with RC - having detected an interaction it automatically initiates a very rapid right then left click (about 200ms seems to work) in the AdvDisp window which has the effect of releasing the interaction and reduces the apparent delay to a few seconds which now sounds quite natural. It doesn't speedup new incoming RC transmissions however so I do still get late instructions - most notably for final vectors onto final, but I've learned now to react fast when told I'm approaching the localiser! This is now how I use rc and am enjoying a strong product although I'm aware I'm probably not seeing it at its best. After giving it much thought and experimentation this is the only way I can get RC to work without those lengthy delays - I don't think it's really an RC problem more of an FS9 one but one that does affect this RC user at least. My suggestions would be -1. If you find out how to fix it - please tell me!2. Run RC on a separate machine over widefs - needs a second machine plus some pennies for widefs but is probably where I'll go next as I have an older machine not in use (RC doesn't appear to need that much CPU time - it just needs to get it when it needs it).3. Buy a machine with a faster cpu - even more pennies! (Not likely to happen anytime soon in our household at least)Hope this helpsIanPS RC team - 4.01 voices are big improvement, thanks for the effort. Small suggest for later versions - if you try and talk over an ongoing radio transmission in FS's native ATC the radio squeaks and doesn't let you - in RC it just cuts off the unfortunate AI pilot. This is a nice touch from FS's ATC - can you match it?

you don't mention what kind of sound card.can you screen print your options settings on the general options?try thislaunch rcv4.execlick debugload your .plnclick start rcduplicate the problemseveral times would be goodclick stop rczip up the .log and send it to jd@jdtllc.comjd

see my post above. create the same log for me. don't use your little app. that will confuse thingsjd

Guest Baconesque

Hi,I knew I'd forget something. I'm using a Creative Sound Blaster MP3+.I'll get to work on that log file. Basically as it stands, RC won't send or receive any transmissions unless I force it as before. Should I do that, or wait it out, or a few of each?

Guest Baconesque

Okay, I think I managed to fix the problem. I set RCv4 to a higher priority in my task manager and it seems to be able to get processor time that way. I guess FS was just being greedy. I'll let you know if there are further problems.Thanks for your help.

Guest Baconesque

I haven't touched the priority for FS9 so I would assume it runs on normal by default. Yes I am using FSAutostart, which helps slightly with framerates but there's not any significant improvement in anything else. I'm thinking about getting a new system soon but I fear getting one now and wishing I had waited for Windows Vista and FSX to release.Thanks for your consistent help.

Guest Ian1977

>see my post above. create the same log for me. don't use your>little app. that will confuse things>>jdjd,Sorry for delay - I didn't realise you were directing that request to me - scanning the messages too fast!I'll try and get the log for you.Thanks again.