Sign in to follow this  
Guest kkholidaze

Ground traffic

Guest kkholidaze

Hello. For some reason, ground does not give me "hold position" when other traffic is heading my way and causing conflicts. Its as if im invisible on the taxiway. Is there a remedy? Thanks

i don't do ground avoidance, like i do in the air. for some reason, i've never been run over by an ai. they always see me, and let me do what i do.jd

Guest lou ross

I'm using Ultimate Traffic and with the new (RCv4.01) found the following to be consistent: 1. some AI traffic stop and wait til I've moved 2. some AI traffic taxi thru me like a ghost, no collision 3. if I taxi into an AI traffic we have a collision.

Guest Xiderpunk

Same issue here, some stop and some don't and cause a collision. I use JustFlight Traffic 2004. Without RC4 running they always stop. It appears RC4 is not compatable with AI Traffic :-(. It is so annoying to be sitting in a queue for a runway (which I am happy to do) then to have an AI aircraft come from behind and crash into me.

i don't think it's rc. i'm not doing anything with them on the ground, and i'm not in the picture if rc isn't running.the only time you will see me mess with the ground ai, is at the hold short line, and when they are cleared for takeoffjd

Guest Xiderpunk

Going to experiment with this some more to try to find out why it is happening. One slight amendment to my above description, when an AI taxies up behind me they tend to ghost through me unless I am also moving in which case then I get a collision. The fact is it happens randomly it seems, sometimes they stop behind and there is no problem.

Guest mmcevilley

>Same issue here, some stop and some don't and cause a>collision. I use JustFlight Traffic 2004. Without RC4 running>they always stop. It appears RC4 is not compatable with AI>Traffic :-(. It is so annoying to be sitting in a queue for a>runway (which I am happy to do) then to have an AI aircraft>come from behind and crash into me.I've found this issue to be related to the airport.bgl file used in conjunction with non-default and modified-default add-on scenery. Many add-on scenery folks explicitly draw the taxi-line as opposed to allowing it to be drawn via the AFCAD program. As a result, if the drawn line (which you follow) is not aligned close enough to the line that the AI follow, then you find situations where they do not "see" you. I fly almost exclusively out of non-default or modified-default airports, and some are very problemmatic in this regard, others work out just fine. I have gone in and modified the taxiroutes of some poorly-built airport.bgl files to precisely coincide with the drawn taxi-lines.I have never had an "AI incursion" using a default airport (and I might add - unless *I* strayed from the taxi-line! ;-) )-michael

Guest kkholidaze

I use Traffic 2004 (Just Flight) as well. It's weird, while waiting at the position and hold line, all of a sudden the craft waiting to take off gets another plane landing right on top and ghosts right through them, then they take off as if nothing happened. Not realistic at all. I hope it can be corrected with a future update. Great program otherwise.Michael Davis

Guest mmcevilley

>I use Traffic 2004 (Just Flight) as well. It's weird, while>waiting at the position and hold line, all of a sudden the>craft waiting to take off gets another plane landing right on>top and ghosts right through them, then they take off as if>nothing happened. Not realistic at all. I hope it can be>corrected with a future update. Great program otherwise.>Traffic 2004 simply creates the schedules - the AI response to those schedules is all internal to FS. I have seen what you describe occur. Interestingly, when that happens, the AI does not show up in TrafficLook or in the MS-provided AI Explorer tool.As an example, I was #2 for departure at KSAN 27. The AI in front of me taxi'd into position. All of a sudden an AI appears coming through the parking garage and gas station just east of the threshold (if you are familiar with KSAN you know exactly what I"m referring to). It went right through the AI holding for T/O and continued down the runway, stopped and exited. Meanwhile, the AI departed as if it were not there.The fact that neither TrafficLook nor AI Explorer could "see" that errant AI means that RC can not see it either.-michael

Guest mhogolf

i found this to be an interesting aspect so i did some experiments like some others, just to share.without rc4 running, all ai planes will stop if i'm on their way. they will dissapear after sometime, i guess to satisfy their schedule. then, i went on the runway when one ai was on final, and fs atc instruct it to go around.with rc4 running, 1st situation was the same. all ai stopped if i'm on their way. again, when rc4 told me to line up & wait, i moved very2 slowly until one ai was about 8 miles final. fs atc gave it 'clear to land'. rc4 also recognised this ai and told it 'winds calm'(instead of 'continue approach' but that's another story...). so i went ahead to 'line up and wait' and rc4 cleared me for take-off, which i didn't do, of course. then, fs9 gave the ai 'go around' but no instruction was given to the ai from rc4.interesting indeed. but to answer to the question. "I'm definitely not invisible"I'm using PAI aircraft by the way. and rc4 has nothing to do the said problem. TQ

Guest Segwin

>>Same issue here, some stop and some don't and cause a>>collision. I use JustFlight Traffic 2004. Without RC4>running>>they always stop. It appears RC4 is not compatable with AI>>Traffic :-(. It is so annoying to be sitting in a queue for>a>>runway (which I am happy to do) then to have an AI aircraft>>come from behind and crash into me.>>I've found this issue to be related to the airport.bgl file>used in conjunction with non-default and modified-default>add-on scenery. >>Many add-on scenery folks explicitly draw the taxi-line as>opposed to allowing it to be drawn via the AFCAD program. As>a result, if the drawn line (which you follow) is not aligned>close enough to the line that the AI follow, then you find>situations where they do not "see" you. I fly almost>exclusively out of non-default or modified-default airports,>and some are very problemmatic in this regard, others work out>just fine. I have gone in and modified the taxiroutes of>some poorly-built airport.bgl files to precisely coincide with>the drawn taxi-lines.>>>I have never had an "AI incursion" using a default airport>(and I might add - unless *I* strayed from the taxi-line! ;-)>)>>-michael>Very late reply but may I ask how one compares the the line that the AI follow vs the one you follow? Added to that, how does one re-draw the lines so that they match?I have been having problems with AI crashing into me on the taxi ways, it's like I'm invisible. TIA

I use AFCAD 2.21 (FS9) to line up airport runways, taxiways, aprons, navaids, parking, etc., with airport scenery as viewed in FS. It is freeware in the utilties sections of many FS library sites including AVSIM.Startup AFCAD and do an Open Airport. It will search your scenery files and open up a search window. Enter the ICAO four letter airport code.Upon finding the airport it will open up a list showing a stock (default) layer and hopefully just an FS limit of only one more layer. Double click on the higher layer and it will open up a drawing of the airport. Now place AFCAD in windowed mode and shrink it to half your screen width. Open up FS and create a flight at the same airport (turn down AI for convenience) with a small easy to slew aircraft parked somewhere. Put FS in windowed mode and size it to the remaining screen half. Go to a convenient overhead view.Back in AFCAD click the "lock" icon. The AFCAD display will now move with your FS aircraft indicated by a red crossed cursor at the center. In FS slew to a scenery point you need to check such as the beginning of a taxiway. The AFCAD cross will follow. In AFCAD with the select arrow active you can now click on a blue taxiway node and drag it to the cross. Now your AI taxiway point matches your aircraft position and the scenery. You can in FS move the aircraft to the next checkpoint on the taxiway and in AFCAD drag the nearest node again. You can line up nodes in between if necessary.In the same manner you can move other elements such as parking spots and sizing them. When done save your file.This is just a general description. There is an extensive help document in the AFCAD folder in the format of html. By creating a shortcut to that file and clicking on it you can browse this help file without starting AFCAD.

I also find this ground environment disconcerting. It is not uncommon to be approaching the holding point for a runway that requires you to backtrack and find that a landing aircraft has turned off at that taxi way and is nose to nose with you. Recently on depature at KORD I was told to line up and wait. Only problem was the two AI aircraft already ahead of me. Also I have often been told to line up and wait, when a visual check on final will reveal an approaching aircraft inside three miles. This little duck chooses to ignore the instruction and wait wait.I accept that to include interaction with the ground AI is probably a massive undertaking, but the lack of it is a major fault (in my opinion)in an otherwise splendid product, and the one area where MSFS ATC does a far better job.Maybe V.6????NeilYPAD