Sign in to follow this  
Guest skyhog

Everything was so nice, until.

Guest skyhog

Hi JD,I did a turn around flight in the F1ATR today, first leg KATL-KVLD and return to KATL. On the first flight flying at 17000 to KVDL had no problems but on the way back to KATL atFL180 I kept getting bustedfor altitude deviations. My altimeter was fine but I was gettingbarometer changes like crazy. During the flight I had 9 differentsettings in 227nm. I finally requested descent to 16000 to get ATCoff my back. At 18000 the changes were 3024,3028,3030 going back andforth. What happened?

I also already experienced this abnormaly. Twice. And once on a repeated flight. So it doesn't happen systematically on a same flight.The external view showed the plane at the correct altitude but the controller kept on complaining about the supposed incorrect altitude. I have no idea at what altitude the controller was "seing" me.

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Skyhog,As the Transition Altitude (TA) in the US is 18000ft I suggest that to avoid this problem you either file for lower than 18000ft and change the altimeter pressure when advised of a pressure change or file for FL190 or higher. Flying at the TA is best avoided wherever you are in the world.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest astemland

hello.I know whats the problem is. if you have FL180 as transition altitude. then if you file to fly at FL180, FS tends to be as simple that when you get 1 or 2 inches under, then its another barometer settings, while you are getting 2-3 up again then its normal barometer again.so can I suggest another altimeter than FL180. hehe :)its really an FS problem and not a RC problem.ciaoAnders

what was the transition level? it would have been displayed when you first started rc in the advdisp.if the transition level was FL130, then you should have had 29.92 in the altimeter at FL140if the transition level was FL150, then you should have had your local pressure dialed into the altimeter. pressing the "B" key won't work when the transition level is below FL180jd

Guest skyhog

Thanks everyone, no more 18000 for me.lol

JD,Classic 18,000.As I already written, first Munich Sankt Johann: controller screaming at me for not flying at the stated altitude (14,000 which was the cruise altitude for my Baron that day)Second Munich Sankt Johann based on the identical SAME flight plan: OK

Roger

jd,Is there a log where I can find the controller instructions for a flight ?

Roger

Roger,The TA for Munich (EDDM) is 5000ft. I can't find a entry in FS9 for 'Sankt Johann'. Where is that please? Until we know what TAs have been assigned by RC it's difficult to establish what's going wrong.But, my guess is that if you are flying in Europe then there isn't an altitude of 14000ft. There might be a FL140 which is why the controller might be complaining if you weren't at that level.Anyway, more info please and then we can help you. A flight plan would be useful too.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,I wrote it in full but in FS9: ST Johann (LOIJ)Yes I wrote 14000ft but of course it is FL140 (that is 14000 ft ?)Attached are the FS and RC4 flight plans (143529.txt,143530.txt)What do you mean: >> But, my guess is that if you are flying in Europe then there isn't an altitude of 14000ft.<

Roger

>>Yes I wrote 14000ft but of course it is FL140 (that is 14000ft ?)<<>>What do you mean: >> But, my guess is that if you are flying in Europe then there isn't an altitude of 14000ft.<<Roger, Looking at those quotes above from your reply to Ray, it's pretty certain that your problem is caused by an incorrect altimeter setting. Before you do anything else, may I suggest you read this post: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=16233&page=3Just substitute your 14,000ft/FL140 for the example 8,000ft/FL80 and it may help to explain why you are having problems.Pete

Hi Roger,After reading the post Pete pointed you to you should then have a better understanding of Transition Altitudes and Transition Levels but to answer one other point in your reply...<>The Transition Altitude (TA) for LOIJ is not known so in m4.csv we substitute 18000. What you should do is to find out the TA for LOIJ and enter it in the Trans Alt box for LOIJ in the Controller Info screen replacing 18000. If you left it as 18000 then it will almost certainly cause a problem as you have to set standard pressure when climbing above 5000 from Munich but at a later point revert to QNH for LOIJ with a cruise altitude of 14000ft.<Yes. On the main RC screen press Debug and supply a log name when prompted. We usually use the departure and arrival ICAOs and our name so you would enter EDDMLOIJ_Roger. Press Save and fly your flight. Once you get a critique RC closes and you have a completed log. It's saved into the main RC4 folder. Zip it up and send to the support address if you continue to get this problem.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,I repeated the flight today without problem and with the original setting (14000ft). I am starting to wonder if the controller didn't give me another altitude lower than 14000 but that I went up to the 14000 ft. I had the problem twice since December so it could be my fault.Another time I thought that RC went "dead" as I was standing at the RW waiting to enter it. It appeared that I was on .... another airport than mention in the flight plan:-roll Another time again I thought RC4 was not working properly. I thought it told me to wait to enter the RW but in fact it told me to put myself into position to take off. And it waited patiently that I obey the order while I was waiting for that O.K. that it already gave me.So this could also be my mistake. Maybe the next version of RC4 should repeat the command when it realize that the pilot does not conform to the instructions (altitude, wait at threshod etc...) instead of just saying to hold the instructed altitude without repeating the altitude level.I would certainly not fit anymore to be a real pilot. At least in virtual mode no real danger for people around me.

Roger

Thank you Pete.But I did check the altimeter setting (by activesky and with key :(. I am starting to think my problem are my ears or memory. I do write the instruction on paper but I could have easely missed an instruction. Though with RC4 the voices are much clearer than in RC3 even if there is some computer sounds in the voices.Anyhow RC4 is really a great product.

Roger