Sign in to follow this  
Guest JoeInCT

ATC Chatter Suggestion

Guest JoeInCT

Been using the option to play the live ATC in the background, which I assume is a collection of WAV files recorded from actual ATC calls.I am almost to the point where I can't listen to them anymore. Here's a suggestion for future versions: Don't include (record) anything out of the ordinary. I have found I am much more likely to remember ATC calls that are out of the ordinary - such as the case when the ATC ground controller has a convo with a pilot about pilot training with the "big dog" at such-and-such airport. Your ear and mind kind of "latch on" to this sort of an exchange, and you quickly get annoyed every time you hear it. I have also found that I am MUCH less likely to remember ordinary (short) exchanges between the pilot and ATC -- and therefore much less likely to get annoyed by the live chatter. Short exchanges between ATC & pilots, with nothing out of the ordinary, are completely forgetable and therefore less likely to annoy the user.So my advice is: in any future collections of live ATC chatter, I recommend that "out of the ordinary" exchanges between ATC and pilots NOT be included in the live chatter. Stick to short, normal exchanges that wont stick out.Joseph SzarmachP.S. And by the way, you're trying way too hard to have controller/pilot sets with distinctive voices. Some of the voices are almost annoying as a result. There's one guy that sounds to me like he has emphyzema and is in desperate need of oxygen. The point again is: ORDINARY voices and ORDINARY controller/pilot exchanges don't stick out and are less likely to annoy the user when they are heard over and over.

probably in the next version (5), there will not be any recorded chatter. just ai chatter.jd

Guest JoeInCT

Don't get me wrong. I like the chatter. It is just that when there's chatter that is unusual or out of the ordinary, I tend to notice it. Ordiniary exchanges are completely forgetable. After you've noticed the same controller/pilot convo a dozen times, it gets annoying. I'm to the point now where I'm going to have to turn off live chatter. I swear if I hear exchange about "flight training with the big dog" one more time, I am going to pull my hair out! Arrrrgh. It's probably a good thing that it wont be in future releases. Too annoying otherwise -- that is unless they take out the oddball exchanges between pilots and controllers.

I too enjoy the chatter. JD or Ray, can you lead me in the right direction so I can record and install to new chatter files. Is there any special software required??

Hi Vollmey,Have a read of pages 136-138 in the manual. That covers the whole procedure.As for suitable software I would recommend WavePad. Google it and you'll get plenty of links to a free download trial. It makes cutting and pasting recordings very easy.If you live close to an airport and use a scanner then record half an hour of each type - Clearance, Ground, Tower etc and then chop the recording up into small wavs that include a command and a reply. That's what I did for Manchester (EGCC).Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Captain Dad

You don't wanna hear about Miss Mack and the Big Dog? What about "The Colonel" and Mississippi Schools that folded up. Dang!What is silly is the Delta Pilot who keeps saying "Go Braves". Sir, my NY Yankees kicked your butts in that World Series.

>Hi Vollmey,>>Have a read of pages 136-138 in the manual. That covers the>whole procedure.>>As for suitable software I would recommend WavePad. Google it>and you'll get plenty of links to a free download trial. It>makes cutting and pasting recordings very easy.>>If you live close to an airport and use a scanner then record>half an hour of each type - Clearance, Ground, Tower etc and>then chop the recording up into small wavs that include a>command and a reply. That's what I did for Manchester (EGCC).>>Cheers,Just a question where we can buy a scanner and how does it works you just put the freq and listen the chat between pilot and Clearance, Ground, Tower etc.Than you

Hi Simbio,<>Scanners have a realively short range so are only of use close to an airport. Unless you live close to an airport or are prepared to drive to one then they may not be of much use.Be aware too that attitudes to people listening in on scanners around airports varies enormously around the world. At Manchester here in England there is a very good viewing park when many enthusiasts listen to ATC chatter and photograph aircraft and the police who make regular visits turn a blind eye to this hobby.However, I would definitely recommend you don't try this in Greece where a group of British enthusiasts were jailed a few years ago for showing too much interest in military jets. I would also imagine authorities in the US are sensitive to interest in aircraft for very obvious reasons.You don't normally tune to a particular frequency with a scanner. You program all the available frequencies - Clearance, Ground, Tower, Departure etc. and the unit 'scans' through those frequencies at very high speed and stops at one that has a broadcast. Hence the name. Once that broadcast has ended it then starts scanning again. That way you can monitor several frequencies with the minimum of effort.Have a search on the internet for 'scanners' but be aware a good one is not cheap. The more sensitive ones can pick up signals up to 40 miles away but it's best to be close to an airport so you can hear both sides of the conversation.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest KemoF15

Concur...I like it...and I like the option of switching it on and off...relying purely on computer generated ai chatter without real world chatter is like going to an alien convention...the real worls stuff makes the sim experience far more realistic in my view...Agree with previous comments, some of the voices are way too chopped out and slow and sound like they were recorded in the vacuum of space...and this with the sliders supposedly speeding up things (full left). If the cadence in version 4.01 is faster than previous editions, I can't imagine what those sounded like.Again...if you can crank the speed up even more, some of the annoying choppiness and strange vocal intonations will be less irritating (perhaps). I'd also add some background white noise...as you can hear on the real world chatter...mic keys...humming of engines etc as opposed to recordings done in a sterile environment.Besides that...the product is growing on me...KemoF15

Thank you for explenation I finally found one (Maycom Ar-108 Airband / Vhf Scanner) it also prohibited in my country (IT) so if the passion don't become obsession I will still listen to liveatc for now :).Thank's

Im late to this thread but for what it's worth Ray I like the real chatter,pity there is none in France and Italy!I do however agree with the first poster,some items do stick out like the helo somewhere near London City!!The day to day stuff adds terrific realism to it(I'm sure I know a couple of the guys at Manch!)I'm currently trying to add some of the new sets but a read of the manual is needed first before I destroy everythingChris,Near Newcastle-u-Lyme.