Sign in to follow this  
Guest kkholidaze

Busted Altitude

Guest kkholidaze

For some reason, maybe i'm doing something wrong, Whenever I fly in Europe, England especially, the ATC screams at me for budting altitude. My altimeter reads correct but they keep saying i'm busting altitude. What am I not doing?Michael

Guest wisborg

Do you remember to set the altimeter to standard when above the transition altitude? In Europe it's different from the US, and since FS2004 with respect to this assumes you are always flying in the US, then pressing b will not give you the correct altimeter setting.In Europe the transition altitude is typical 3000 to 5000 feet (I think) as opposed to the 18000 feet in the US./ Jesper

Guest kkholidaze

Thanks for the help Jester. I actually found a thread on this topic but im still a little confused. Yes, it was a flight into london and I simply hit "B" thinking that would do it. My question is, when ATC says "QNH"----, do I tune that number in just like I tune the altimeter in the states? In other words, when the ATC says "QNH 2344" do I just dial it in on the altimeter?

Guest wisborg

As far as I recall, "QNH" is used, when the pressure is given in SI units, which means it can be tricky to enter manual, if the plane doesn't display the pressure in those units.What I do in those cases, is to press 'b', when I'm below the transition altitude, and to make sure it's the standard pressure when above. That works./ Jesper

Pressing B only works in US airspace.In RC you have to listen carefully. When assigned a flight level set the standard altimeter (29.92 inches, 1013mb). When assigned an altitude (xxxx feet) set the local pressure (QNH).All the best,John

Guest ianhind

I found a useful utility called Barohelper which enables you to type in the altimeter in inches and get the QNH in the European units (or the other way round). It also gives the QFE if you enter the airfield ICAO.So if your altimeter does not show the correct units, this might help during descent to avoid being reminded of clearance altitude.I got it from Avsim.ru so finding it there may not be easy, but try this. http://avsim.ru/files.phtml?fileid=5781 Try selecting the right hand underlined option Скачать without any download helpers switched onAnyone know of anything similar?Ian