Sign in to follow this  
nandrews

Missing ATC calls

I am missing calls occasionally for AI and I belive my calls too sometimes.I was just waiting at rwy holding point as requested with an a/c on final with co-pilot on radios. But after that I had no call to line up. I saw 3 a/c land, and for the second one I heard nothing after landing and the third one I heard nothing until after landing!Is there any diagnoses I can run to find the cause?FS9RC4ASV6Jeppesen Simviewwith all anti spyware turned off and anti virus in 'snooze'ThanksNigel

Hi Nigel,Try staying on comms yourself until you're airborne. Is the lineup problem at all airports or specific ones? Have you run 'Rebuild Scenery DB'? It may be that RC isn't detecting how close you are to the runway caused possibly by the installation of 3rd party scenery.If the problems persist you can create a log and send it to us but I'm sure once you've rebuilt the database things will improve.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks Ray,I am not sure how making the co-pilot response manual will make the ATC calls audible, but I will try anyway.I don't fly from just one field as I like to 'ring the changes'. But in this particular case Luton (EGGW) Rwy 08 I heard the "Contact Tower" and (once I had nudged upto the CatI hold line for 08) I got the "Rwy 08 wait" call, but nothing after for me.I will try a "Rebuild Scenery DB" and see what happens.But will this fix the missing AI/ATC calls - one aircraft on finals and one after landing?Thanks againNigelP.S. I do like v4 despite this.

Hi Nigel,<>What you heard was "line up and wait". That's your cue to enter the runway and prepare for take-off. Different terminology to the default FS ATC but you're not under FAA rules any more ;-) Once you're lined up with the runway heading you'll be cleared for take-off.<>Can you be specific? Are you not hearing a landing Ai aircraft cleared off the runway and told to contact Ground? A bit more info will help us help you. :-)Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray thanks again,At the point I arrived at the hold for the runway and got the Tower message (which I am pretty sure was asking me to wait and NOT enter the runway) there was an aircraft on a 1.5 mile final! I doubt I would have made it in time as the Rwy 08 entry is about a third the way along so I needed to backtrack not just roll on and go!I think I am saying I am missing calls randomly. Of the 4 a/c I saw arrive 'til I gave up, the second overshot but never called ATC or was acknowledged, the third called on final and was answered but was never called to turn off, nor responded. The fourth a/c didn't call finals nor got an ATC response, but was asked to turn off the rwy and acknowledged.I will try manual ATC and the DB rebuild tomorrow and advise.Thanks againNigel

Hi Nigel,<>You certainly wouldn't be cleared to 'line up and wait' with another aircraft so close. Can you continue to monitor this situation and keep us advised? The program has been thoroughly tested in this respect so you shouldn't have any problems when waiting to taxi onto the runway for departure. Tower won't know about runways where you have to backtrack but those tend to be quiet airports with little Ai traffic. Innsbruck is one that springs to mind.On the missing calls thing, yes, you won't hear from aircraft that have performed a GA. That's deliberate. Remember that some aircraft may contact Tower before you've been told to switch from GND so you may have missed them. What really matters of course is that you hear, and respond to, all the comms for your own aircraft.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest ianhind

I have had a similar experience of no further tower communication when I did not wait at the holding point at the end of the runway, ie I was holding at one of the taxiways prepared to use less than the full runway length.Is the backtracking required to get to the end of the runway having the same effect - "you are not ready yet so we won't call you"Ian

I guess if we miss a 'line up' call then the Tower (RC) is waiting for our plane to appear aligned with the runway (regardless wherever along it's length) before issuing a take-off call.Maybe if I don't hear a call to line up, after a suitable wait, I should just carry on and line-up and hopefully get things moving that way.After all the flight prep and taxiing out it is a big dissapointment just to dump the flight at the hold because the Tower won't talk to us!Nigel

Guest ianhind

But does this trigger an error? Lining up without clearance ought to (at least in the real world).Ian

Ian,I am sure it would, if the clearance hadn't been given.But I am just assuming that maybe I don't hear the call and if I continue with that assumption, maybe I will then get T/O clearance as a matter of course (unless I don't hear that either!)Nigel

Hi Ian,I've held several times further along the active runway and you are recognised and given clearance to line up and wait. Make sure you're not too far from the runway. Sometimes you just need to edge forward slightly but rest assured you will be cleared.We don't just look for aircraft at the end of a runway although if you're not at the end other aircraft who may have joined the 'official' queue will be cleared ahead of you.<>No. RC doesn't know about back-tracking. All it's looking for is your heading matching that of the runway heading. Clearly during back-tracking it's 180 degrees different so you will only be cleared for take-off once you've completed the 180 and are aligned with the runway.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Nigel,<>Enter the runway without permission at your peril ;-) You will be told off in no uncertain terms. Of course if you're not told off then you were given clearance to 'line up and wait' ;-)<>But if you're not being given clearance to 'line up and wait' then something is wrong because I and others have tested this routine thousands of times and it does work. If you're using 3rd party scenery please rebuild your database. It's possible RC 'sees' you in a different place to where you actually are. Trigonometry is a wonderful thing and the procedures in RC are extremely accurate but it does rely on being fed accurate info - i.e. runway end points and headings. Unless those are accurate things will not work as they should.Cheers,Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Actually, I've experienced this problem also.I find that the scenario is when I am told to monitor tower and I am taxiing to a displaced threshold I will reach the IFR hold line and never hear from tower again. It happened to me at EGKK and last night again at KEWR while holding short of 22R.At KEWR I even taxied into position and waited, I even taxied down to the true threshold and waited. I eventually took off and got yelled at an a visit from FISDO when I got to my destination.Taxiing to the true threshold actually worked at EGKK. When I reached the threshold markers tower cleared me to take off but this is after taxiing on the runway heading for about 500 feet or so.I'll try rebuilding the database and try again. Might be as simple as that. But I swear that I did that very recently.

it's critical for me to know where the threshold is, so i can tell you to hold short, or taxi into position and holdwith add on scenery, the lat/longs of the center of the runway, and the length and heading of the runway are used to calculate the threshold. if any of the info is wrong, you never appear close enough to the threshold for me to "talk" to youjd

Ray,I should close my part of this thread.I reflew the Luton-Palma flight and got the reciprocal runway this time and did get the "line up and wait" this time. So I may have been cleared on the first time and just misheard.However it still stands that at that time an aircraft was on finals and since I had to back track it would have caused a conflict. I assume that aircraft would have gone around but not spoken to ATC about it.ThanksNigel