Sign in to follow this  
Zachiii

RC4 holding unable

Try a flight to St. Louis where the "Cardinal" VOR is right on the field. Make that your last waypoint. You should get held about 40 miles away on an inbound radial.I've got you beat by 3 years -- I have been held -- so, I guess I can die happy. And, I got to see the Steelers win the Super Bowl again!

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

Just in case you don't know, the FS9 flight plan file, something like KGSOKRDU.pln, is located in the "Flight Simulator Files" folder under "My Documents". Just attached it an e-mail to jd at the address he provided in a previous post.

All you holding fans,This is the latest on RC4 holding.The hold option is selected in options.I am filing a short hope from KGSO to KRDU with RDU VOR my last fix. (I now know I must have a VOR on or near the destionation or very near it but be instructed to hold.)About 50 miles out I am getting traffic saturdation at KRDU "how do you want to hold, vectors or holding." I select "holding" but the question is immediately ask the second time followed by "vectors" and I get vectors, never holding.jd said you cannot have the co-pilot handle the radios and get holding, you would always get vectors.So now I know I must handle the radios. I file again. When ask for vectors or holding, I select holding but the controller ask the question immediately again followed by him giving me vectors every time.I am yet to get holding on RC4 other than on a missed approach.Now, am I the only one having this problem?zach

I think so.Did you ever send jd your flight plan .pln file for him to look at?Do you have the latest versions of FSUIPC (3.53) and AdvDisp (2.14)? Or, maybe there is something amiss in the .ini files. Try deleting both FSUIPC.dll and .ini, and AdvDisp.dll and .ini and reinstall fresh copies.You could also rebuild your fs9.cfg file, but I'm not sure how that bears on RC4.

just for grins, fly kgso to katl, with atl as your final vor. what happens?jd

jd,Filed KGSO-KATL with final navigation fix ATL VOR.RC-4 holding option selected, as usual.80 miles out took control of radios.60 miles out received ATC option to hold or vectors due to KATL traffic.Selected holding. (IT WORKED!)Received holding instructions. (very professionally done) Entered the race track and held.Released from holding with vectors to ILS 27RGood approach. Good landing.Now, jd, what was the secret?ATL VOR seems to work for holding but many others do not?

i suspect, your flight was such a short one, maybe even a terminal enroute (less than 80 miles) that your notification that you were being held, what did you want to do occurred at a specific point in the planthen i patiently wait for you to respond. but since you were so close to the next trigger to ask you what you wanted to do, you got another question about itthen another trigger, which was rc throwing up it's hands and giving you vectors, because you didn't get your repsonse in, in time.by making the plan a little longer, the question came at 70, 65, and 60 miles out.i suspect in your .pln, the questions came at 60, 60, and 60 which didn't give you a chancejd

jd,Thanks for all your help.Just flew KCLT-KRDU, holding, RNAV approach and landing was all super slick.Thanks again,zach