Sign in to follow this  
greg100o

Continued problems with vectors when approaching runway nearly headon

I continue to be frustrated that RC4.x does not give correct vectors under the circumstance of an approach that is general nearly parallel to the runway heading.It does great if one happens to be approaching a runway at nearly right angles.Yesterday I was approaching runway 28L at KDPX from the east-southeast . I was given a vector that nicely pointed me towards the initial approach fix for the ILS. I would have intercepted the ILS at a very shallow angle, like 10 degrees, but so what. Again I was coming pretty much from the east directly toward the runway. Then suddenly about 18 miles out I am told to turn to a heading that takes me off perpindicular to the runway direction. Made no sense to do that.Shortly after I am turned again back towards the runway, but in a direction that would make it impossible to intercept the initial approach fix, rather I would sail off to the north of the IAF. Without my fancy Navigation Display I would not have known that and would have never made it without just guiding myself in by looking at the display.More often than not vectors under this type of situation are incorrect and will not line me up with the runway. I find this frustrating, like I cannot trust the ATC instructions under these circumstances, and that is not right. I think there must be something wrong with the vector heading logic on these types of approaches. Default ATC has never done this to me.Could this issue be looked at for a fix?There have been other posts on this as I recall.Thanks,Greg

Greg Clark

Funny, I flew almost the same route the other day, except I used the BONVL4 STAR. On most of my trips, if I have a GPS or FMC with full IAP procedures, I just use those, and that's what I did on that trip. As soon as approach comms is established, you can request your own approach, but you're on your own. I've had the problem you describe happen several times, and like you, wish there was a fix for it.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

as mentioned in other posts, this is what i doif you are roughly on the same heading as the runway, fly the runway heading until receiving the ils, and make correctionsif you are coming at the runway heading at an offset heading, wait until the advdisp shows the heading to the airport is approximately the runway heading. turn to the runway heading. then when receiving the ils, make your correctionsjd

jd,But with great respect, I ask why have to do this? Why cannot the algorithm be corrected to give the proper headings no matter what the approach angle? If this cannot be done, then let me know and I will drop the topic. The instance cited above where I was turned perpindicular to the runway is not very satisfying or realistic for me as customer. To me it detracts from the realism of an otherwise great product.Thanks,Greg

Greg Clark

we'll see what we can do in the future. doug has already mapped out a new approach algorithm, but it probably won't be til v5 until it's implementedjd