Sign in to follow this  
Guest Don Stone

Final Vectors to Final

Guest Don Stone

I found a set of FP's for europe that came with fs9 but for some reason I don't get final vectors - this happened with flight 1 and yesterday with flight 2 from LFPO to LIMC. IE, told to descend to 16k then 9k and was then turned onto a heading which I thought would end up with an ILS landing to R17L. However, whilst the controller notified me about nearby traffic etc there was no further vectors. Anyway, when I was 40miles past I cancelled the IFR and did my own approach to 17L. Why I say...;( could it be that these flight plans are missing a vital waypoint to prompt further vectors or is it a database problem I wonder.

send me a .plnwere you in a turbo prop? was your crossing restriction 9000? did you miss your crossing restriction?did you properly set your altimeter? what was the transition level?jd

Guest Don Stone

Will attach plan. Yes, I was in a turbo prop. There was no crossing restriction - just descend to 9k when able. Crossing restriction - so far as I'm aware I didn't get one. Alimeter - I cannot say for sure...I do have a habit of pressing B pretty regularly tho. Transition level - I don't recall getting one.Thanks in anticipation for your comments & advice

Don,It's difficult to know where to start here - I think I'll leave the flight plan and (probable) missed crossing restriction issues to jd and just address the altimetry side.In order to get RC to work correctly, you will need to pay a little more attention to the altimeter setting procedures used in Europe and particularly to the dangers of using the 'B' key on such flights. Before you fly again, may I suggest you have a quick look at pages 107-108 of the Radar Contact manual and also read this post: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=16233&page=3Together, they should give you a better idea of how to set your altimeter and the problems of using the 'B' key outside the USA. You might also like to try the European flight tutorial which begins on page 265 of the manual.BestPete

Guest Don Stone

Thankyou Pete, Look I'm the first to acknowledge that I'm an amateur in this arena...but, look, I'm quite prepared to learn from the those in the know and learn from it but I enjoy it, so thankyou for you comment and advice and I hope I'll learn from the exercise. It's a huge learning curve for a 69 year old!! Thanks

Absolutely, Don and I hope you didn't think I was being critical of your efforts - I was just trying to gently nudge you in the right direction to get the most out of RC. I understand just how steep the learning curve can be but Radar Contact is one of those programs that you'll get so much more out of if you invest a little bit of time and effort reading the manual and flying the tutorials. If, after you've tried my suggestions, you still have questions about altimeter setting procedure - or anything else for that matter - please do post again. You'll always find someone here who'll be happy to help.PP

unless this was a very short flight, there is always a crossing restriction.read page 50 of the manual, and some of the pages surrounding page 50.i suspect, you missed the crossing restriction (9000 or FL90 depending on transition level), you vectored away from approach airspace, usually a 90 degree left or right turn from on course. you are suppose to fly that heading until you reach your crossing restriction. you are then expected to start flying direct the airport until you contact approach.read the pages i gave you, pay attention to the transition altitude/level information that pete gave you, and try it again.let us know how it works outjd

Guest Kingair315

When I am about 30 miles from a destination, I do a missed approach, request vectors and usually that brings me where I want to go.

Guest Don Stone

Gday, I just wanted to express my sincere thanks to everyone for there help and advice here. I did my homework in the areas detailed above, applied them in practice and everything went like a dream. Pete you were spot on about the QNH. I did the tutorial 9 and got a pat on the back in the critique and then flew another if Europe flights of mine and got vectored all the way no worries!!(I didn't get a pat on the back for this tho, there were a couple of blokes waiting to talk to me when I shut down!!..busted an altitude they reckon. I'm learning and enjoying the programme very much. Thanks

Well done, Don. Glad to hear you're getting the hang of it. Oh, and thanks for taking the trouble to post again - it's always good to get that sort of feedback. Happy flying.Pete