Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottPilot

Can I create my own callsigns?

Guest ScottPilot

Hello.I was wondering if it is possible to create my own call-signs for RC4?I would like to be able to create military call signs like "TALON" and "SKY DOG", ect for use when flying military aircraft.Is this possible or not? If so, what's the procedure?Thanks!Scott :-)

send the request to doug, he keeps a list of new call signs to record when we get around to recording againif you can find words or phrases with talon (doubt it), or sky (maybe) and dog (iffy), you could piece them together. and then we can tell you how to add them as choices, by editing some the .csv files in datajd

Should be easy enough - Talon - try splitting "Tallin Control" , and Sky Dog is easy - Use Bird Dog

Guest airmeki

Hi John - I am a new user of RC and I really, truly love it.I am flying my own "unofficial virtual airline". I too have a callsign that is not in the list of phrases/words therefore not spoken when using RC ATC. The callsign I want to use is 'FUNEXPRESS'. You mentioned you guys know a way to alter/edit the csv files in the data folder. I would appreciate if you could briefly tell me (us) how to do this.Thank you very much in adavanceHeinz

when you have a wav file file called funexpress.wav, for each pilot, controller, and chatter pilot - let me know. i'll tell you what you have to do to make it available as a callsignjd

Guest airmeki

Hi JDThanks for your reply - so, do I have to contact all the people who have previously recorded their 2000 phrases to asking them to record "Funexpress" for me? :-)I'm a bit confused - you see, to edit the 'default' FS ATC phrases I used to work with a small program called EditVoicePak. This program allowed me to create any callsign I wanted by choosing similar words and piece them together via a small sound editing feature. The result may not have been a clear 'Funexpress' but it was definately close enough to be used and it sounded great to be called by my callsign (as opposed to just a number). I just thought, RC might have a similar method to add a new (customized) callsign to its phrases and have all the existing persons actually speaking it.Thanks for your help JD

I think what jd meant was for you to go and do it yourself, then he'd explain how you could make it available in your sim.Sadly EVP will not work with the wav files in RC4 - but I developed a fairly speedy way to create 'new' callsigns, but not nearly as convenient as EVP. The real problem with FunExpress is that there is no easy way to extract the 'fun' word from any of the current phrases used by RC4 - so you're up against it I'm afraid. The ony way would be to take the start of the word "Future" - just the ffff bit and tack that on to the front of the word "one" - than clip the word express from another wav file and put all three together. It CAN be done, but it will take a fair bit of time. I was able to create a complete set of wavs for a new callsign in 5 minutes - but your example will take a lot longer.

I have just made my own call sign available in RC, although I made a short cut sollution out of it for the time being.As I got a little excited by my sucsess, I tried making your callsign as well. I did it by mixing taifun.wav and express jet.wav.It was quite good, and I did it a lot faster than with EVP. The time consuming thing is the varity of voices in RC. To do it properly you actually have to mix these to wav-files for every sub-folder in winwood ragarding pilots and controllers. They may be about 90 subfolders depending on how many of them you have canned up until now. ( I have about 60). My shortcut was to use my mixing from sub-folder 1 and copying them to all the others except for the female-folders (by me 2 folders - nr 21 and 61) For them i mixed separatly. For the time being OK. The main thing; I am pilot in my own virtual airliner again.I have attached the result of FUNEXPRESS if of any interest.I just have to say I am an absolutley new user of RC and I am amazed by the reality-level - it certianly have brought the sim challenges to a quite new level. I travel with FS Nav, FSPassenger, Active Sky, Real Tine and now RC in addition to I don't dear to say.......And finally RC has covered all my frustration over default ATC.

Well done that man. I wondered if the Fun in Taifun would be satisfactory - glad you got yourself sorted out OK.

Guest airmeki

Wow, Camaflight, Wow!!! I am absolutely stunned by your work you did! 'Funexpress' now sounds almost as if the person really says it.What did you use to create this? It sounds better than using EDV! Thanks for taking on this callsign for me! I really appreciate this.So, now I am ready for tackling the task of multiplying this wav file to all the other pilots/controllers. I'll try it how you described it in your post. I'll let you know about the resultThanks again for creating it, and thank you both for your inputs! Great forum - great people! :-) Heinz

Hi,Glad you found the mixing OK.When it comes to computer-issues, I think we all are used to ups and downs. As regards the process of making your call sign I have a feeling that after the mixing I made, you will probably get a little disapointed. Because there is more to be done..... I have ONLY pieced together a clip from each of the wav-files "taiFUN" and "EXPRESSjet" in subfolder "0" in the folder "winwood". Hence, I have only made one single version of "FUNEXPRESS" from multiple choices of about 40 (not 60 as I mentioned earlier)) different voice-sets that you will find within the canned subfolders 1-98. Each subfolder represent a pilot's or a controller's voice-set. You know, those named in the Radar Contact Option "voices". So by now, when you make a flight with your virtual airliner "FUNEXPRESS" and RC randomly chooses a voice for a controller and you choose another voice for the pilot than the one pointing to subfolder "0", each sentence spoken will contain a difference in how "FUNEXPRESS" is pronounced in comparison to the other words in the that sentence. One exception though; namely when the sentence is spoken from "the guy" in subfolder "0".This is how far I have developed the availability of my own callsign in RC. Because I just made one mixing with a voice belonging to one person, but copied it to all the other pilots and controllers subfolders (the canned ones of 1-98). When I get the time for it I will mix the clips for each and one of the canned subfolders 1-98 (about 40). When finished my callsign will be pronounced acordingly to the specific voice of that pilot or controller speaking. You see, it's t-i-m-e-consuming. In your case you have to make about 40 mixes of taifun.wav and express jet.wav that you will find in each of the canned subfolders 1-98.Well, and this is not all. You will have to configure one other file in RC, namely the excelle file "c4.csv" in the folder "data".For gods sake, take a backup of the origin file first !!Then, do not mess with this file if you opened it in an excelle extension. Open it in notepad. Then you can add your airliner and coherent callsign. If you don't understand the structure of the "c4.csv", call for help - here at the forum or by mailing Doug (great guy from RC). It is in fact easier to see how the data in "c4.csv" is sorted by opening the file in the excelle format, but do only look whilst being in this format. Changing anything, do this in notepad format. But don't worry too much - remember you didn't forget to take a backup of the origin file !!!!!Now, having added your airliner and callsign in "c4.csv", it's time to make a txt-file, which you finally have to copy into two different folders, the two subfolders in the folde "script" called "controllerscripts" and "pilotscripts". The txt-file must be named "FUNEXPRESS" - EXACTLY the way you have named the wav-files and added in the "c4.csv". You understand of course why; yeah you rigth - rcognition is the answer! The txt-file must contain your callsign. Look at one of the other files in "controllerscripts" or "pilotscripts" and you will understand. Make it the same way for your callsign.Now, finally; open RC, push the general button, scroll down to your airliner,. You will now see the callsign FUNEXPRESS, choose to the right of it which flightnumber you will have and then push the speaker-icon to listen - beautyful ehh ?I am a typical novice in the use of media programs, but here are what I used to achieve what I did:- Windows movie maker (because it was default by Windows XP), just to piece together the clips- Demo version of a sound converter named Ease Audio Converter. This I had to use, because moviemaker has a wma-file as output and RC want to have it in wav-format (of course). Just don't forget that the wav-file must be - 88kbps - 8 bit - 1 channel (mono) - 11khz and PCM. Good luck - AND notice this: it is much easier to process this than reading my "cook--book"........

Guest airmeki

You are the best - I actually enjoyed reading your cookbook :-)Anyways, I am going to work on the callsign now and let you know how I did.Thank you! I really appreciate your time and effort!

Guest Douglas Thompson

Don't forget guys, even if you take the time to create your own callsigns, send them to me (doug@jdtllc.com). If they're not included on the roster for recording, you'll go through this with every release. At the very least you'd have to do this for new voices we come up with.I must tell you, the effort I see here is nothing short of admirable!

Guest airmeki

Doug - I will definately send you all the files I'm going to make for each pilot/controller/chatter - as soon as they're done.Right now I am trying to get the one callsign working. My airline is in the drop down menue (airline name is HEDA FUN AIR). But instead of the callsign FUNEXPRESS it says FIRST CAMBODIAN. The format I've used when editing the c4.csv file (using notepad) was: FUNEXPRES,FUNEXPRESS,Heda Fun Air - USA,0, 0 Did I do something wrong? Oh, yes, I created this new entry at the very bottom of the list in notepad.Thanks for your help! Heinz

Just before I take on my pilot's cap and and pilot's sun glasses and go to bed (just so my wife finally get the evidence that I have gone crazy.....), I show you something that might work - I then assume you already have copied the textfile to those script folders and also the wav-file to all of your canned subfolders among 1-98.Well: - erase what you did in the c4.csv (notepad extension) - then, between the two lines:HEAVYCARGO,HEAVYCARGO,Heavylift Cargo Airlines Pty Ltd - Australia,0, 0 andhelcopt,helcopt,Helicopter,0, 0 you should insert your: FUNEXPRESS,FUNEXPRESS,Heda Fun Air - USA,0, 0The result will be like this then:HEAVYCARGO,HEAVYCARGO,Heavylift Cargo Airlines Pty Ltd - Australia,0, 0FUNEXPRESS,FUNEXPRESS,Heda Fun Air - USA,0, 0helcopt,helcopt,Helicopter,0, 0 Save, and "express" have a lot of "fun" !!The data as you now see are obviously sorted alphabetically by airliners name.Good Luck and Good night.......(here in Europe......)