Sign in to follow this  
RogerPotie

Wide FS question for Rick

I am trying to figure out if it is helpfull to run RCV4 (and ASV + FlightKeeper) froma nonFS computer.I have my PC veryell tuned and working at around 25-35 fps with all the sliders on the right. But in order to keep this very satisfactory performance after adding other softwares I am wondering should I migrate RCV4, FlightKeeper and ASV on my laptop. What is your opinion ?If positive, how do I proceed with the existing softwares on the FS PC and installing them on the laptop ? :-)

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Guest wtsapchy

Hi Rick,I ran my RCv4.01, ActiveSky and FS Flightkeeper all on my WideFS PC, which is only a very old time PIII 450mHz. Everything is fine ! My FS PC is a PIV 2.66 gHz. I have FS sliders at the mid to high range and framerates are about 20-25 at major add-on airports and 40-50 during flight. I highly recommend you separate the other add-ons from FS9 because not only did I find FS9 performance improve a great deal, the other add-ons were also running more smoothly, especially RCv4.01. Before I used WideFS, it was almost impossible to run Flightkeeper and FS9 together especially when I turned on the live map in Flightkeeper while flying, not to mention turning on ActiveSky and RC altogether. But now, not only did I run the three programs at the same time, I also turned on MS Word to read my flightplan and IE for the SID and STAR diagram in my WideFS PC. I have never experienced the notorious stutter / pause in RC. The response from RC is obviously quicker. Finally, the waiting time for starting the add-ons is shorter. For example, when FS9 is loading, I can start ActiveSky / Flightkeeper in my WideFS PC without having to wait for FS9 finishing loading. Hope this help !!DanielVHHH

Daniel,I suppose that I can install RCV4, ASV and FlightKeeper on the secondary PC and when it works I could delete or leave the original softwares on the main PC.

Roger

Guest Grommit

Hi Roger,I did exactly that.After a shake up in the network here I reinstalled ASV6/FSFK etc on the new client running WideFS. I have left the original installs intact and just removed the network access for each regarding shared folder for FS9 etc.I can only reccomend keeping as much off the FS9 pc as possible to provide a smooth enjoyment. One good idea if RCV4 is on a client is to also run 'ShowText' on the same client for the AdvDisplay of the RCV4 interface and hide the Advdisplay on the FS9 pc. This in itself can get round some of the single/dual monitor stutter/display issues some users are suffering.Hope this helps ....

Guest ianhind

But I think that you might need a new RC4 key for the other PC. Certainly in previous versions of RC, the key was linked to a particular PC. Or at least formatting the hard disk meant a new key was required.Is this still the situation, since my RC4 PC could do with a tidy up and new hard disk?Ian

Guest RickT

Yes if you install RC on a reformatted hard drive or different hard drive Radar Contact will ask for a new key.

Rick,A new key provided by you guys or submit the original key to the secondary PC ?

Roger

Guest RickT

A new key provided by us. Radar Contact's copy protection scheme is hard drive specific. Each time you install RC on a different hard drive than the one already installed on you will need to ask us for a new key.

Rick,Thank you.I will probably come back to this in a week or so.

Roger

Hi,This FSFK database issue is more than likely an issue with your scenery.cfg file on the WideFS/FS9 PC. FSFK on a WideClient PC doesn't like full path statement (with drive letters) in the scenry config file. For example, you have an entry in your FS9 scenery.cfg that designates an addon scenery under "C:Program FilesFS9Addon SceneryYour-Addon". If this path begins with a drive letter, FSFK interprets it as being the drive letter of the WideClient PC so it obviously isn't going to find it there. Simply change the path to "Addon SceneryYour-Addon" and FSFK on a WideClient will read it fine. Remember, by default, FS expects to find Scenery entries under the FS9 installation path, so it knows by default where the "Addon Scenery" is, along with all the other folders under FS9.If your scenery is on the same level or above FS9 in the path, like "C:Your-Scenery" you can replace this entry in the scnery.cfg file with double-periods for each directory that you need to travers backup up the path. So given the path examples above, you could use "......Your-Scenery". "C:Program filesYour-Scenery" could be replaced with "....Your Scenery". This will also speed up your FS9 initialization time, just a bit. Unfortunitly, thanks to uninformed developers messing with your scenery.cfg file, this means you may have a bit of search & replace edits to do on your scenery.cfg file.Also, FSFK does have several log files under its installation path which are somewhat useful in troubleshooting. Good luck...Hope this helps.Al

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE